2011-2012 MLB Offseason - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Postby A man in a box » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Oakland is just trying to sell anything not nailed down it seems. You think the Mets and Astros are in bad situations Oakland could be potentially worse given 2 years, at least the former mentioned are in large markets. Seattle will be competitive, Texas is looking to be a mini dynasty and Arte Moreno is the ghost of Gene Autry in free agent philosophy.
A man in a box
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:07 pm

A man in a box wrote:Good trade for Houston, but Boston must really not have money to spend if Melancon is going to the answer. Can he be a closer for Boston? Maybe but not an elite one. Looks like a competition for the job Jenks, Wheeler have closed before they may get some chances. Aceves is great in his role as a rubber arm and should stay there.

Not spending money has more to do with Boston attempting to reset the luxury tax calculations. If they go over the tax limit this year, that will make three years in a row. The taxes get steeper each consecutive year a team exceeds the threshold.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby nsulham » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Rockies have signed free agent outfielder Michael Cuddyer to a three-year, $31.5 million contract.
The figure is a bump up from the three-year, $27 million offer that the Rockies originally proposed, and that's likely what convinced Cuddyer to leave the Twins, who were offering him a three-year, $25 million pact. It's a pretty hefty sum for the 32-year-old corner outfielder, but he should fare well at Coors Field. Cuddyer batted .284/.346/.459 with 20 home runs and 70 RBI over 584 plate appearances this past year for Minnesota.

Hit as well at Target as he did on the road, should still have 1B/2B/OF eligibility, playing home games at Coors now. Anyone else like him as a value pick?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Re: 2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:56 pm

nsulham wrote:
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Rockies have signed free agent outfielder Michael Cuddyer to a three-year, $31.5 million contract.
The figure is a bump up from the three-year, $27 million offer that the Rockies originally proposed, and that's likely what convinced Cuddyer to leave the Twins, who were offering him a three-year, $25 million pact. It's a pretty hefty sum for the 32-year-old corner outfielder, but he should fare well at Coors Field. Cuddyer batted .284/.346/.459 with 20 home runs and 70 RBI over 584 plate appearances this past year for Minnesota.

Hit as well at Target as he did on the road, should still have 1B/2B/OF eligibility, playing home games at Coors now. Anyone else like him as a value pick?

Absolutely
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby kab21 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:10 pm

While I think he's overpaid and the 3rd season of the contract is going to look awful in 2014 he could be a very nice 2B fantasy option next year. The big key will be if he can stay healthy. Every season he seemed to get dinged up and go into awful slumps that were blamed on injury.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:50 am

i'm always weary about drafting Cuddyer, him going to Colorado won't change that but it'll be hard to overlook him as a 2nd baseman
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby m16a » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:39 pm

Rollins signs with the Phils. 3 years, $30 million. Vesting option for a 4th.

LINK
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kab21 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:33 am

m16a wrote:Rollins signs with the Phils. 3 years, $30 million. Vesting option for a 4th.

LINK

Every time I see the Phillies sign a player I think that their mini-dyansty is going to horrifically collapse at some point. A lot of money tied up long term in 30 somethings.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:57 am

kab21 wrote:
m16a wrote:Rollins signs with the Phils. 3 years, $30 million. Vesting option for a 4th.

LINK

Every time I see the Phillies sign a player I think that their mini-dyansty is going to horrifically collapse at some point. A lot of money tied up long term in 30 somethings.

A lot of money tied up in pitchers. :-o
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:01 pm

The Padres have some interest in acquiring Matt Garza from the Cubs in a package that would include Anthony Rizzo, tweets Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio. Based on reports yesterday, it seems both clubs may be interested in working out a trade involving Rizzo.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/p ... garza.html
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers