2011-2012 MLB Offseason - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:30 am

K-Rod, K-John, and D-Ort all accepted arbitration. Looks like the Jays found their 2012 second baseman. Can't believe he accepted, but it helps the team quite a bit. Two draft picks woulda been nice but this might give them more incentive to make a run at the playoffs this season.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A man in a box » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:59 pm

Mets made some shrewd moves to rebuild their bullpen. Not really a fan of Rauch, Francisco we'll see, but love the Ramon Ramirez pickup. Torres is an upgrade on defense in Center which they needed.
A man in a box
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Astros have traded right-hander Mark Melancon to the Red Sox for infielder Jed Lowrie and right-hander Kyle Weiland.
It looks like the Red Sox may have landed their new closer. Melancon, who turns 27 in March, posted a 2.78 ERA, 20 saves and a 66/26 K/BB ratio over 74 1/3 innings this past season and should be able to survive in the AL East. Lowrie should take over as the starting shortstop in Houston while Weiland figures to be a candidate for the starting rotation. If the deal goes down as Rosenthal is reporting, it's a nice haul for new Astros' GM Jeff Luhnow.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Astros have traded right-hander Mark Melancon to the Red Sox for infielder Jed Lowrie and right-hander Kyle Weiland.
It looks like the Red Sox may have landed their new closer. Melancon, who turns 27 in March, posted a 2.78 ERA, 20 saves and a 66/26 K/BB ratio over 74 1/3 innings this past season and should be able to survive in the AL East. Lowrie should take over as the starting shortstop in Houston while Weiland figures to be a candidate for the starting rotation. If the deal goes down as Rosenthal is reporting, it's a nice haul for new Astros' GM Jeff Luhnow.

Not a bad deal for either team. Melancon should help the Sox immediately as he now becomes the closer. Though how he will hold up in the AL East is still a question. Lowrie always had potential but has battled too many injuries. And now that he is gone, it clears a path for Iglesias to be the inevitable SS for the Sox.

Good move for Houston too. Melancon built value last year and since they don't plan on contending, they got a good upside SS/3B in Lowrie and an okay SP prospect in Weiland.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:25 pm

I've read in a couple places that this allows Iglesias to take over at SS. Do these people realize he had a .554 OPS in a full season at AAA last year? He shouldn't even be in the picture for another couple years if they want to compete, which they obviously do. They could end up really missing Lowrie's bat. It's a pretty high price to pay for a mediocre relief pitcher with very little track record.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby mkultra » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:46 pm

I wonder if the BoSox just gave up on hoping Lowrie can stay healthy. Melancon does seem a bit like a desperation move, though. Why they don't keep Bard in the bullpen, though, is beyond me. Melancon was okay last year, but I can't see a closer with a 1.2 WHIP and a K:BB just over 2 as "able to survive in the AL East". Maybe he's taking over Bard's setup role and they're still in the hunt for a closer?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:59 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I've read in a couple places that this allows Iglesias to take over at SS. Do these people realize he had a .554 OPS in a full season at AAA last year? He shouldn't even be in the picture for another couple years if they want to compete, which they obviously do. They could end up really missing Lowrie's bat. It's a pretty high price to pay for a mediocre relief pitcher with very little track record.

Scutaro is the SS for 2012. They have him on a one year deal. Yes, Iglesias needs more time in the minors to improve his hitting. However, according to scouting reports, Iglesias could be one of the best defensive SS in MLB. Ozzie Smith potential fielding wise. Better than Andrus.

mkultra wrote:I wonder if the BoSox just gave up on hoping Lowrie can stay healthy. Melancon does seem a bit like a desperation move, though. Why they don't keep Bard in the bullpen, though, is beyond me. Melancon was okay last year, but I can't see a closer with a 1.2 WHIP and a K:BB just over 2 as "able to survive in the AL East". Maybe he's taking over Bard's setup role and they're still in the hunt for a closer?

I'm pretty sure they did. Lowrie had flashes of greatness, but could never put together a string of even a few successful months.

Melancon may be the closer for now, but Madson is still out there and will probably be on the Sox. Having Melancon drives the price down for Madson too. As the Sox were probably the only team at this point who A) needed a closer and B) could come close to his asking price.

Bard is going to be in the rotation. If he wasn't, the Sox would have signed CJ Wilson or Buehrle to a contract as they only have 3 starters without Bard.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby A man in a box » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:14 pm

Good trade for Houston, but Boston must really not have money to spend if Melancon is going to the answer. Can he be a closer for Boston? Maybe but not an elite one. Looks like a competition for the job Jenks, Wheeler have closed before they may get some chances. Aceves is great in his role as a rubber arm and should stay there.
A man in a box
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm

A man in a box wrote:Good trade for Houston, but Boston must really not have money to spend if Melancon is going to the answer. Can he be a closer for Boston? Maybe but not an elite one. Looks like a competition for the job Jenks, Wheeler have closed before they may get some chances. Aceves is great in his role as a rubber arm and should stay there.

Imo Boston needed an 8th inning guy and a closer. They got their 8th inning guy here and I think they'll land Madson still. Which sucks for Melancon dynasty owners.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:21 pm

I doubt they pay for Madson, I still think that Bard is the man. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox caved and sent Middlebrooks and a couple other prospects to Oakland for Bailey, it might not even take that much to get him, I'm sure the sox could get him with a package of Kalish and Ceccini
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers