2011-2012 MLB Offseason - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Postby jfg » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 pm

If you build it they will come. I find it hard to believe that a team that signs Pujols and Reyes won't fill the seats.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Re: 2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:10 pm

jfg wrote:If you build it they will come. I find it hard to believe that a team that signs Pujols and Reyes won't fill the seats.

They've won the WS twice and couldn't get anybody to show up. I'd be shocked if people start flocking to the games.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Re: Re: 2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Postby ayebatter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:39 pm

wrveres wrote:
ayebatter wrote:and to think last year I was in 1st the entire tire season, 'till the last week, only to watch WR pass me by

Interesting that I have a different recollection of that victory. ;)

And you would be right, it just felt like you weren't even close to me.

Last year at the break:
1. BBQ's ..................93 - Me B-)
1. Cheap Corners........93 - You :-P
3. RSN ....................84
4. Scoreless..............75.5
5. Seventh Day ..........69
6. Third Day...............63
7. OneLoveBoomer ......62.5
8. Canadian Animals.....59.5
9. 2011 Asterisks ........59
10. YourMomsGotBigBalls ..52
11. Bwanna .................42.5
12. Arlington Saints........27
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1300)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:30 pm

I can't remember off the top of my head, but in the past when Florida has won the World Series.. have they ever had an elite level player like Albert Pujols?
can't blame fans for not wanting to go to games in the past to support the team, when the team would constantly want to trade away it's star caliber players. now they have Reyes signed long term, along with Ramirez(for now), and if they do end up signing Pujols.. that's 3 top tier players all signed long term.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I can't remember off the top of my head, but in the past when Florida has won the World Series.. have they ever had an elite level player like Albert Pujols?

I think their most productive players (in 2003) were Derek Lee, Mike Lowell, and Josh Beckett. Not players in the same class as Pujols, but star players none the less.

I'm pretty sure they also had Dontrele Willis and Miguel Cabrera debut in 2003- so the fans had some younger guys to root for. And we all know how Miggy turned out.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:14 pm

in 2011 2 of the Jays closers were Jon Rauch and Frank Francisco. now they are both signed with the Mets. also joined with Ramon Ramirez (and Andres Torrers) in a trade with the Giants for Angel Pagan.

I saw today that the Mets were after Francisco. I don't know why but I thought it meant Francisco Rodriguez. who they traded last year, and had his problems in New York. I remember thinking WTF why would they want him back.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Tavish » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:21 pm

Apparently there is a 3rd offer for Pujols of 10yr / 200m+ on the table. Marlins, Cards, and ??? Cubs? I heard they were interested, and if nothing else can try and run the price up on the Cards.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:04 am

Angles the 3rd team?
@Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Sources: #Angels pursuing Pujols. Ongoing conversations. #MLB

why would the Angles be interested? I know it's Albert Pujols, but they already have 2 capable players at 1B for next season in Morales and Trumbo. I'm sure one(or both) of them could be traded for something else, like an upgrade at 3B. but you could do that with one of them and keep the other.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:45 am

SpecialFNK wrote:I can't remember off the top of my head, but in the past when Florida has won the World Series.. have they ever had an elite level player like Albert Pujols?

They didn't have any Pujols level star, but in 1997 they were stacked with guys who were Reyes level stars: They had Bobby Bonilla, who was a six time all-star. They had Gary Sheffield in his prime (well the start of his prime, many of his best years would come later). They had prime Kevin Brown. They also had Alex Fernandez, Robb Nen and Al Leiter. Of course they sold all those guys away...
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby kab21 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:02 am

jfg wrote:If Miami gets Pujols, are they even a playoff team? Between him, Bell and Reyes, they are probably worth about 15 wins at most which still makes the Marlins a sub .500 team. If Ramirez is back to normal this year maybe you can say 20 wins will be gained from last season which is wild card at best.

Huh? First - 72+15=87. Second you can't really say X is a 15 win improvement. The Marlins tanked at the end of last season.

It will come down to their rotation and health. A lineup of reyes, hanley, Pujols, Stanton and Morrison? will score plenty of runs.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers