2011-2012 MLB Offseason - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:34 pm

I wouldn't expect the Cardinals to sign any SP.
Carpenter, Wainwright, Garcia, Lohse and Westbrook are all signed.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Crazy thought, might Papelbon's crazy contract make him (mildly) underrated in some fantasy circles? He's definitely overpriced, but that has NO effect on fantasy, but it definitely affects people's perceptions...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby kab21 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:Crazy thought, might Papelbon's crazy contract make him (mildly) underrated in some fantasy circles? He's definitely overpriced, but that has NO effect on fantasy, but it definitely affects people's perceptions...
I doubt it. He's a no doubt closer on a 90-100 win baseball team.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:Crazy thought, might Papelbon's crazy contract make him (mildly) underrated in some fantasy circles? He's definitely overpriced, but that has NO effect on fantasy, but it definitely affects people's perceptions...

His contract should not affect his fantasy value at all. It goes up a tad in my mind, as he will probably get a few more K's in the NL vs the AL.

kab21 wrote:He's a no doubt closer on a 90-100 win baseball team.

True, but a team winning a lot of games doesn't always translate to more save opportunities than lesser teams. I think Papelbon gets roughly the same amount as he did with Boston. That is unless the Phills lose Rollins and the hitting (Howard) regresses.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:11 am

This list isn't really what I think will happen, more like it's what would be most logical for teams and players IMO.

1- Albert Pujols, 1B: Cubs (they have to get him out of St.Louis if they want to win)
2- Prince Fielder, 1B: Tampa Bay (I really hope, cause he could make them the team to beat in the AL East)
3- Jose Reyes, SS: Miami (Ramirez won't be happy, but better for the team)
4- C.J. Wilson, SP: (Yankees will overpay cause they can)
5- Jonathan Papelbon, RP: Signed with PHI
6- Jimmy Rollins, SS: Philadelphia (ideal)
7- Roy Oswalt, SP: Arizona (what they need for their young rotation)
8- Heath Bell, RP: Toronto (huge need)
9- David Ortiz, DH: Boston (I can't imagine him in yankee pinstripes)
10- Aramis Ramirez, 3B: Colorado (seems logical)
11- Edwin Jackson, SP: Baltimore (they need pitchers)
12- Michael Cuddyer, 1B/OF: St.Louis (if Pujols leaves, they have to move Berkman to 1b, and he fits the OF vacancy)
13- Mark Buehrle, SP: Cubs (stays in Chicago but different address, mutual benefit)
14- Carlos Beltran, OF: Baltimore (occasional DH-ing is what he needs to stay healthy)
15- Ryan Madson, RP: San Diego (depleted pen needs a closer)
16- Hiroki Kuroda, SP: Dodgers (or Seattle)
17- Francisco Rodriguez, RP: Texas (would allow to move Feliz to rotation)
18- Erik Bedard, SP: Pittsburgh (if no one else signs him they will to sell hope)
19- Carlos Pena, 1B: Milwaukee (replacing Prince)
20- Grady Sizemore, OF: San Francisco (natural fit)
21- Yu Darvish, SP: Yankees (too much money to spend, and what they need is pitching)
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:33 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:2- Prince Fielder, 1B: Tampa Bay (I really hope, cause he could make them the team to beat in the AL East)

:-o What is Tampa going to do for Fielder? The only way it could be possible would be a one year contract that Fielder would not accept and that Tampa would not offer. The Rays only chance at an impact bat going into 2012 would be to trade Price or Shields.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:34 am

The Papelbon contract is insane. 8-o

Syfo-Dyas wrote:3- Jose Reyes, SS: Miami (Ramirez won't be happy, but better for the team)

I hope Reyes does end up in Miami really. I'd love to keep Reyes around but like any bad team, the Mets have too many holes to spend 100+ million on 1 player.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:08 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:

His contract should not affect his fantasy value at all. It goes up a tad in my mind, as he will probably get a few more K's in the NL vs the AL.

kab21 wrote:He's a no doubt closer on a 90-100 win baseball team.

True, but a team winning a lot of games doesn't always translate to more save opportunities than lesser teams. I think Papelbon gets roughly the same amount as he did with Boston. That is unless the Phills lose Rollins and the hitting (Howard) regresses.
Undoubtedly true that his fantasy value goes up moving to the national league, what I'm saying is he'll get a lot of (non-fantasy related) negative press because of the crazy contract, and that MAY affect perceptions of him by some drafters.

I'm not saying it should, I'm just saying it might. I'm especially thinking of NL-Only leagues with players who don't also do mixed leagues.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:44 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:8- Heath Bell, RP: Toronto (huge need)

There's a laundry list of things the Blue Jays need to be a good baseball team before a guy to pitch the 9th inning.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:36 am

Yeah it's amazing that everybody in Toronto thinks a closer is the biggest concern this offseason. How about a first baseman? Or a left fielder? Second baseman? Starting pitcher? Nobody needs a closer. What they need is Prince Fielder and Yu Darvish }:-) C'mon Rogers, spend some of that money you've been pilfering from us for the past decade.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers