2011-2012 MLB Offseason - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:12 am

the Reds signed Ryan Madseon to a 1 year contract.
According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Reds and Ryan Madson have agreed to a contract.
No word yet on the terms, but if it wasn't obvious enough already, the Reds are going for it in the National League Central. Madson, 31, has a 2.89 ERA over the last five seasons and saved 32 gaves in 34 chances for the Phillies last season. He should be an improvement over the declining Francisco Cordero in the closer role.

Updating a previous item, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Reds and Ryan Madson have agreed to a one-year deal.
We still need to see the dollar amount, but you really can't go wrong getting one of the best relievers in the game on a one-year deal. Madson nearly had a four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies in November, but things didn't go exactly as planned for him this winter. However, if he stays healthy and has a big year, perhaps he can get his big contract next offseason.

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Ryan Madson's one-year deal with the Reds is worth in excess of $10 million.

1 year of closing hoping for good numbers to get a good multi year contract next offseason.
is Cincinnati really a good place to go on a 1 year contract hoping for good numbers? couldn't there have been other teams willing to give him a 1 year contract around the same price where he could have had better numbers? better numbers in 2012=better contract 2013+.
very small sample size for his career at Great American Ballpark. 8 IP, 10 hits, 4 HR, 2 BB, 8 K. (against Cincinnati).
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 77)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:05 am

for people drafting right now and taking a chance on Madson (like me in NFBC slow draft after almost all the actual closers had gone..luckily!) this worked out well as he could have ended up having to take a one year deal to setup

Now unless the Angels change their mind F Cordero could be heading down that setup road
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:24 am

SpecialFNK wrote: couldn't there have been other teams willing to give him a 1 year contract around the same price where he could have had better numbers?

I can't think of any. Any team that would spend $10 million on a closer seems to already have their closer.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby converge241 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:35 am

Update

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Ryan Madson's one-year deal with the Reds is worth $8.5 million guaranteed.

he has incentives which may bring it to 10 mil or over.

Too bad for him he didnt take what Philly was offering (slightly less than Papelbon) or work out terms with Red Sox or others who were interested in him closing for nice 3 year deals. He and his agent pressed for more, now hes left a ton on the table and hoping to cash in next year. And this is a guy who never closed for a full year and philly never 100% got behind historically yet he ahd some $$ on the table from them now.

Reminds me of Nomar turning down 4/60 then taking all these little deals until he faded off leaving tens of millions on the table (I didnt do the exact match but didnt he total miss out on 30 mil plus if not 40?)
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Rays signed Luke Scott to a 1 year deal with club option for 2013.
http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/news/artic ... tb&c_id=tb

The Rays have agreed to a one-year deal with free agent Luke Scott, filling one of their greatest offseason needs with a power bat to plug into the middle of their lineup, a source said Wednesday.

The deal includes an option for 2013

Lefties dont hit too hot at the Trop but I think Scott offers some depth which is nice.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:53 pm

jlm53089 wrote:Rays signed Luke Scott to a 1 year deal with club option for 2013.
http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/news/artic ... tb&c_id=tb

The Rays have agreed to a one-year deal with free agent Luke Scott, filling one of their greatest offseason needs with a power bat to plug into the middle of their lineup, a source said Wednesday.

The deal includes an option for 2013

Lefties dont hit too hot at the Trop but I think Scott offers some depth which is nice.
Ton of upside and next to no risk. Good signing by Tampa. If he's able to perform at his '09-'10 level and actually has some talent around him, his fantasy numbers should be very nice as a plug-in 1B.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Yep, good signing. Likely an 800 OPS and he gets to face the Orioles pitching instead of Tampa's this season. Shoudl be a decent fantasy option if he stays healthy, particularly in leagues that use OBA instead of AVG.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:26 pm

according to mlbtraderumors.com the Reds have signed Ryan Ludwick.
The Reds have agreed to sign free agent outfielder Ryan Ludwick to a one-year deal that includes a mutual option for 2013, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. Beverly Hills Sports Council represents Ludwick, who played for Cincinnati GM Walt Jocketty in St. Louis.

Ludwick, who can play left and right field, gives the Reds some much-needed outfield depth. Like left fielder Chris Heisey, Ludwick is a right-handed hitter. However, Ludwick has hit right-handers (.804 OPS) better than left-handers (.751 OPS) in his nine-year career.

Ludwick, 33, posted a .237/.310/.363 line with 13 homers for the Padres and Pirates in 2011. His batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage all dropped for the third consecutive season. However, UZR/150 suggests Ludwick has played average defense in the outfield corners in recent years.

when Ludwick was with San Diego last year I thought he could be someone who could explode offensively once he was traded away from PETCO because his away stats were so good. then he was traded to Pittsburgh, and sucked there too.
I would imagine going to that park in Cincinnati should be beneficial to him offensively.
could be someone to take a chance on as a deep sleeper late in a standard draft.

EDIT:
rotoworld
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds and Ryan Ludwick have agreed to a one-year contract with a mutual option for 2013.
Not a surprising landing spot considering Ludwick's history with current Reds general manager (and former Cardinals general manager) Walt Jocketty. Ludwick, 33, batted just .237/.310/.363 with 13 home runs, 75 RBI and a .674 OPS last season between the Padres and Pirates. He'll share playing time with Chris Heisey in left field.

"share" time with Heisey?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:57 pm

Houston signed Jack Cust to a 2 year deal.
rotoworld.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Astros have agreed to a two-year contract with Jack Cust.
Say what now? Cust, 33, batted just .213 with three home runs and a .673 OPS over 270 plate appearances before being released by the Mariners last August. Rosenthal notes that he could give him an option at DH when the club moves to the American League in 2013, but he has no real position in 2012. Even without knowing the terms, this sounds pretty ridiculous.

mlbtraderumors
The Astros have agreed to sign Jack Cust to a two-year deal, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. TWC Sports represents the corner outfielder/DH.

Cust, 33, averaged 28 homers and 103 walks with the A's from 2007-09, but his power numbers have since fallen off. If he regains his form in Houston, he could DH for the Astros in 2013, when the team moves to the American League West. Cust, who has a career UZR/150 of -22.4 as an outfielder, figures to pinch hit and play left and right in 2012. Given the availability of free agent DH types and Cust's recent struggles, the two-year deal comes as a surprise.

Cust posted a .213/.344/.329 line with three home runs in 270 plate appearances for the Mariners in 2011, when he earned $2.5MM. The Mariners released him in August and the Phillies signed him soon afterwards. There was no reported interest in Cust earlier in the offseason.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 am

2 year deal lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers