Penn State Scandal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Penn State Scandal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Was Joe Paterno wrong for not notifying authorities??

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes : 30

Re: Penn State Scandal

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:25 pm

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Again, I can't fully comprehend how I would respond unless I was actually involved but I have an issue with this:

"They said don't bother sending it we're not interested in fabrications, stories, any attempts at extortion or blackmail. I mean, they made it seem like I was looking for something for myself," McLaughlin said. "I didn't ask them for money. I didn't ask them for anything other than make sure they look into this. Listen to the tape and get this guy away from children."

And then this:

McLaughlin later sued the professor, but settled with him out of court for an undisclosed sum in March 2006. Neisworth denied all wrongdoing.

Maybe his lawyer told him that he didn't have a case or something but, if I wasn't interested in money and only wanted justice, I wouldn't be settling out of court.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:22 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote: He was told that Sandusky was raping a boy in the Penn State showers.

You have no idea what he was told. The grand jury testimony was vague in how the information was passed along through the chain.

I am definitely in the camp that believes he knew enough, but it is based solely on intuition and yes, common sense. I just want to hear his side of the story.

He saw a naked boy, Victim 2, whose age he estimated to be ten years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky ... the graduate assistant telephoned Paterno and went to Paterno’s home, where he reported what he had seen. Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant’s report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset.

Do you need to see a video of the conversations between McQueary and Paterno to actually know what happened? It isn't solely common sense and intuition, it's grand jury testimony from both an eyewitness with everything to lose and nothign to gain, and Paterno himself confirming the conversation.

Did you skip over the "how the information was passed along through the chain" part? If it was clear what McQueary told Paterno, which is looking harder and harder to determine based on his conflicting stories, then the board wouldn't have said they fired him without any factual basis because they had the grand jury report.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Jesus, Aqua, have you lost your mind?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:24 pm

knapplc wrote:Jesus, Aqua, have you lost your mind?

If taking a step back and waiting for ACTUAL FACTS* to surface instead of absolute hearsay, then sure I've lost my mind. Lol, I can't believe anyone would criticize me for trying to not make assumptions like the rest of America has. It's funny because this case is textbook as to how the MSM affects the mind of the average American/person through total sensationalism without ANY FACTUAL BASIS. I think it's fair to guess that the FACTS that haven't come out yet may bear out what many are assuming, but since there are zero non-Sandusky facts, there needs to be more investigation to sift through this complete mess, which has turned into a daily circus on most media outlets.

I understand why people want to put their blinders up and automatically assume the worst when it comes to a crime as serious as sexual abuse, but it's still America. Let the facts decide everyone's fate. My only hope is that the real story is eventually discovered and the proper actions taken.

*- The facts I refer to, and have continually referred to are in reference to everybody not named Sandusky. He is guilty and will die in jail (if he makes it that far), as he should.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:50 pm

Sit down. You're blathering.

Simple fact. Back in 1998 JoePa knew that Sandusky was acting inappropriately around young boys. So much so that he was suddenly off the team, when all signs pointed to him being Joe's heir apparent.

2002 rolls around and JoePa is told, by a GA, that he's witnessed Sandusky naked in a shower with a young boy. Likely more, but let's just say it's ONLY that. It's enough to have JoePa contact his superior and pass the info along.

But, for some reason, it's NOT enough for JoePa to make absolutely sure that this guy is not a predator. And in light of the 1998 incident, that's something he HAS TO DO. HAS TO.

Nobody at Penn State has a bigger voice than JoePa. If he whispers, everyone takes notice. And it is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG for him to have done "the legal minimum" after these allegations surfaced. It was WRONG not to have pursued it further. It was WRONG not to have done sufficient due diligence to determine that this man was not a danger to his players, anyone in the program, and especially little defenseless children.

Another fact - until about two weeks ago, Sandusky had access to the PSU weight rooms. That is a complete abrogation of JoePa's responsibilities here.

So you can blather on and on about "proof" all you want. This isn't a court of law and we're not looking for a conviction. It's a forum, and it's more than OK to say that Paterno was negligent, that he should have been fired, and that he absolutely failed to uphold the tenets of the program he claimed to uphold.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:56 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Jesus, Aqua, have you lost your mind?

If taking a step back and waiting for ACTUAL FACTS* to surface instead of absolute hearsay, then sure I've lost my mind. Lol, I can't believe anyone would criticize me for trying to not make assumptions like the rest of America has. It's funny because this case is textbook as to how the MSM affects the mind of the average American/person through total sensationalism without ANY FACTUAL BASIS. I think it's fair to guess that the FACTS that haven't come out yet may bear out what many are assuming, but since there are zero non-Sandusky facts, there needs to be more investigation to sift through this complete mess, which has turned into a daily circus on most media outlets.

I understand why people want to put their blinders up and automatically assume the worst when it comes to a crime as serious as sexual abuse, but it's still America. Let the facts decide everyone's fate. My only hope is that the real story is eventually discovered and the proper actions taken.

*- The facts I refer to, and have continually referred to are in reference to everybody not named Sandusky. He is guilty and will die in jail (if he makes it that far), as he should.

I get that and I am interested in seeing how this story plays out once all of the facts are out but 2 things are apparent to me:

1. Paterno still needed to go regardless of how this plays out.
2. There was a major cover up on campus over many years. How extensive it was will be determined once all facts are known.

Now, we can go on and on about how the MSM shoots first and asks questions later but I don't see how the above can be disputed.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:02 am

When did you come back, Lo? I thought you were gone for a while.

My F'ing work has the Baseball Cafe blocked, and my girl is old enough to require a lot of my time, so I don't get on here much anymore. I can get to the Football Cafe at work, but it's a ghost town these days. Plus I don't play much fantasy football anymore - strictly baseball these days.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:20 am

knapplc wrote:When did you come back, Lo? I thought you were gone for a while.

My F'ing work has the Baseball Cafe blocked, and my girl is old enough to require a lot of my time, so I don't get on here much anymore. I can get to the Football Cafe at work, but it's a ghost town these days. Plus I don't play much fantasy football anymore - strictly baseball these days.

Been back for over 6 months now. I was gone for some time but, Lord willing, I'm back. ;-D

Time is limited as I am working FT, PT, and also going to school FT. :-P
Lofunzo

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:48 pm

Paterno knew

He waited to tell the AD because he "didn't want to interfere with their weekends."

The good news is that the grand jury found enough evidence to continue the case against Curley and Shultz.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Previous

Return to General Talk