Penn State Scandal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Penn State Scandal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Was Joe Paterno wrong for not notifying authorities??

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes : 30

Re: Penn State Scandal

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:58 pm

A few thoughts:

The thing I seriously can't come to grips with is the idea that Paterno would risk his legacy by turning the other cheek at something that was bound to surface at some point. Sandusky is a sick pervert; these kind of people don't stop until they are busted. Maybe I have too much faith in humanity in general, but I won't make full judgment upon him specifically until he is allowed to speak. I say this only because if he really was guilty of the moral crimes people are accusing him of, he becomes an absolute moron (among other bad things). That being said, the media coverage has already painted him as a completely guilty party and when he does speak, he'll likely be labeled a liar if he even begins to defend himself. Again, the only reason I even say this is because it's really almost more evil to cover it up than it is to commit the crime. Forgive me if I believe Paterno has done too much good for too long to at least be afforded his side of the story. In the same breath, I guess I do have a hard time believing that nobody within the program was aware of this stuff, especially after it originally surfaced in 1994. I'm just torn on it.

Part of the reason I phrase it like this is because I never trust the MSM when it comes to stories like this. They are out for views and clicks only. After Wednesday, how often did you even hear Sandusky's name in the news compared to Paterno? Why do you think that was?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:40 pm

After Wednesday, how often did you even hear Sandusky's name in the news compared to Paterno? Why do you think that was?

I think that a big part of it was the fact that Sandusky's case is such a slam-dunk so they moved onto their next target.

A big problem that I have here is with people that attempt to paint Paterno as a victim in any way. I just don't get it. People say that Penn State didn't respect what he has done and acted too quickly. Although I think that Penn State completely screwed up this entire process, they got it right by firing him. I am interested in hearing what Paterno had to say but only as it pertains to criminal and civil cases. He had to get fired and the school butchering the process doesn't change that.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:52 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:A few thoughts:

The thing I seriously can't come to grips with is the idea that Paterno would risk his legacy by turning the other cheek at something that was bound to surface at some point. Sandusky is a sick pervert; these kind of people don't stop until they are busted. Maybe I have too much faith in humanity in general, but I won't make full judgment upon him specifically until he is allowed to speak. I say this only because if he really was guilty of the moral crimes people are accusing him of, he becomes an absolute moron (among other bad things). That being said, the media coverage has already painted him as a completely guilty party and when he does speak, he'll likely be labeled a liar if he even begins to defend himself. Again, the only reason I even say this is because it's really almost more evil to cover it up than it is to commit the crime. Forgive me if I believe Paterno has done too much good for too long to at least be afforded his side of the story. In the same breath, I guess I do have a hard time believing that nobody within the program was aware of this stuff, especially after it originally surfaced in 1994. I'm just torn on it.

Been reading some Posnanski? He has many of the same thoughts.

Anyway, we at least know Paterno knew about Sandusky's issues in 2002. We have every reason to suspect that he knew in 1998, during the initial investigation into Sandusky, especially after Sandusky oddly retired in the middle of his coaching prime (seemingly as a result of that investigation). Despite this, the police were never called and Sandusky was allowed to continue doing the same things he always had. Sure, we don't know what Paterno's reasons for doing what he did were (loyalty to his institution, the preservation of his career, the preservation of his friend's reputation, etc), but none of them justify his inaction. That's why I really don't have any sympathy for him.

Part of the reason I phrase it like this is because I never trust the MSM when it comes to stories like this. They are out for views and clicks only. After Wednesday, how often did you even hear Sandusky's name in the news compared to Paterno? Why do you think that was?

That's because the potential institutional cover-up of a child molester is a much bigger story than a child molester alone. You kind of said that yourself above.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
After Wednesday, how often did you even hear Sandusky's name in the news compared to Paterno? Why do you think that was?

I think that a big part of it was the fact that Sandusky's case is such a slam-dunk so they moved onto their next target.

A big problem that I have here is with people that attempt to paint Paterno as a victim in any way. I just don't get it. People say that Penn State didn't respect what he has done and acted too quickly. Although I think that Penn State completely screwed up this entire process, they got it right by firing him. I am interested in hearing what Paterno had to say but only as it pertains to criminal and civil cases. He had to get fired and the school butchering the process doesn't change that.

Yeah, anybody associated with this had to be removed immediately. If anything, they were too slow in getting rid of him.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:10 pm

mweir145 wrote:

That's because the potential institutional cover-up of a child molester is a much bigger story than a child molester alone. You kind of said that yourself above.

Key word being potential. There are practically no facts that have been proven in this case that don't relate to Sandusky. It's not too much to ask to want to find out more before we lynch every person involved. I'm not saying I expect Paterno to be absolved of any moral responsibility, but it will be interesting to hear what he has to say.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Lofunzo wrote: I am interested in hearing what Paterno had to say but only as it pertains to criminal and civil cases. He had to get fired and the school butchering the process doesn't change that.

I don't see him as a victim, although I do believe he should have been allowed to speak before he was fired. He was done the day the media started to run with the story though; if he stayed on a circus would have followed this team until he was gone.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:29 pm

He was allowed to speak. He had a few days. He should have quit when he had the chance but instead he insisted he'd finish out the season before retiring. They had no choice but to fire him. And really, considering what he did, being fired and having his reputation destroyed is the best he could have hoped for after he passed up on the chance to do it on his own terms. He's lucky he's not in jail.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:34 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Key word being potential. There are practically no facts that have been proven in this case that don't relate to Sandusky. It's not too much to ask to want to find out more before we lynch every person involved. I'm not saying I expect Paterno to be absolved of any moral responsibility, but it will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

If there was potentially a massive cover-up (and it certainly appears there was), you can't expect the media not to focus on that.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:58 pm

Skin Blues wrote: He's lucky he's not in jail.

Again, you have no factual basis to make a statement like this. You have no idea what he knows or doesn't know. This is the mentality about this situation that is so annoying to me*. People completely put their blinders on when it comes to child abuse because of the absurdly sick nature of the crimes that are usually committed.

*I want to clarify that I'm not saying Paterno doesn't know anything, or didn't know enough, just that there are literally no facts (the BOT even said this during the press conference in which they fired him) to back these types of statements up.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Clearly he knew... he said he wishes he did more. He had no problem saying that, but hasn't said anything resembling denial as far as I'm aware. He was told that Sandusky was raping a boy in the Penn State showers. The people up the chain that he told have already resigned and are charged with perjury. You think the head honcho of their football program was in the dark about a 15 year cover-up, despite his acknowledgement that he was aware of the situation?

So yeah, he's lucky he's not in jail, or on his way to jail. If not for the laws he may have broken, then lucky for the laws being so lax in the first place.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk