Penn State Scandal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Penn State Scandal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Was Joe Paterno wrong for not notifying authorities??

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes : 30

Re: Penn State Scandal

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:55 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Heard Nebraska has already voiced concern about the game. At the very least, having him on the sidelines is a distraction form hell. At worst, things could seriously get violent and out of control for any number of reasons.

I can't imagine what it would be like over there this week. A lot of people aren't going, and I don't blame them. Tonight and tomorrow night will help us better gauge what is likely to happen Saturday. If they're relatively calm the next two nights, things will probably be OK Saturday. If they continue to "riot" (if you can call that a riot) then I would be genuinely concerned for the safety of the team.

My understanding is they explored moving the game, but by the time the Paterno decision was made it was too late. So we're going to Happy Valley.

:-S
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:19 am

bigh0rt wrote:I'm not sure how they think having McQueary coach on Saturday could possibly be a good thing. Could the University possibly be handling this any worse from top to bottom since Day 1?

I'm not up on my Pennsylvania labor law; could they be stalling on making a move on McQueary because he may need to be afforded whistle blower status?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:49 am

Yeah, they're probably covering themselves on a possible lawsuit.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:06 am

[url]McQueary not attending the game on Saturday[/url]

edit= cafe won't let me post my link :-?
it's on foxnews . com

Reports were that that the trustees decided earlier that McQueary shouldn't attend the game.

Forget about McQueary attending the game, the issue should be whether this game should be played at all. Seeing the reaction of the dummies at Penn State this is a powderkeg.

This story has all the feel of a build up to a disaster. Maybe JoePa's heart doesn't survive a Saturday away from football, maybe somebody commits suicide, maybe there's a huge riot where somebody dies. It just feels bad. The game should be cancelled.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:14 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Forget about McQueary attending the game, the issue should be whether this game should be played at all. Seeing the reaction of the dummies at Penn State this is a powderkeg.

This story has all the feel of a build up to a disaster. Maybe JoePa's heart doesn't survive a Saturday away from football, maybe somebody commits suicide, maybe there's a huge riot where somebody dies. It just feels bad. The game should be cancelled.

Good issue. With McQueary not being there, I'm actually on the side the game should be played. One, there is likely to be a good sized security detail that should be able to handle quite a bit. Two, enough time has passed where a vast number of the emotionally charged Joe P supporters will have calmed down. Speaking to someone close to the situation, the mood is actually as though someone has died. People are sort of just dazed and solemn. Three, Penn St is in the midst a fantastic season and punishing all the thousands of fans not associated with the scandal is unfair. A cancellation would only add more fuel to the fire. Besides, it's senior day and holding the game will actually be the start of the healing process.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Tavish » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:29 am

I blame Obama.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:35 am

RedHopeful wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Forget about McQueary attending the game, the issue should be whether this game should be played at all. Seeing the reaction of the dummies at Penn State this is a powderkeg.

Good issue. With McQueary not being there, I'm actually on the side the game should be played. One, there is likely to be a good sized security detail that should be able to handle quite a bit. Two, enough time has passed where a vast number of the emotionally charged Joe P supporters will have calmed down. Speaking to someone close to the situation, the mood is actually as though someone has died. People are sort of just dazed and solemn. Three, Penn St is in the midst a fantastic season and punishing all the thousands of fans not associated with the scandal is unfair. A cancellation would only add more fuel to the fire. Besides, it's senior day and holding the game will actually be the start of the healing process.

Why not move it to another location?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:

Why not move it to another location?

Definitely wouldn't have a problem with this.

Have you guys heard about the Sandusky pimping young boys to rich donors rumor? Would post the link but looks like Menyak has put in some safeguards to combat the new spammers.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bigken117 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:22 am

RedHopeful wrote:Have you guys heard about the Sandusky pimping young boys to rich donors rumor? Would post the link but looks like Menyak has put in some safeguards to combat the new spammers.

Yes,

the rumor

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:30 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I'm not sure how they think having McQueary coach on Saturday could possibly be a good thing. Could the University possibly be handling this any worse from top to bottom since Day 1?

I'm not up on my Pennsylvania labor law; could they be stalling on making a move on McQueary because he may need to be afforded whistle blower status?

Either that or maybe he knows a lot more than was originally let out. Once he gets fired, he will probably have quite a story to tell.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk