P.Sandoval as a keeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

P.Sandoval as a keeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: P.Sandoval as a keeper?

Postby mkultra » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:27 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
mkultra wrote:Even in '09, his one legitimately GOOD season.

how exactly was 2011 not a good season? he hit the 4th most homeruns by 3B (despite missing that month), had the highest OPS, wOBA and wRC+ and 3rd highest ISO behind longoria and beltre. this was all without a single other legitimate hitter near him in the line up (until beltran). the giants line up will be better next year (it'd be almost impossible for it not to be), he's coming into this prime, and he's pretty healthy (at least relative to the other 3B options). i don't see any way he's not well into the top 100.

PS- not many 3B have much speed, power and average is basically what you're looking for out of the position.

I don't know about your league, but mine doesn't score OPS, wOBA, wRC+, or ISO. Mine, and many others, scores runs and RBI's, which he delivered below Replacement Player value at.

What he did in the games he played was pretty solid (ok, maybe I'm underselling "GOOD"), but there's no escaping that he missed over 40 games. That, and playing in SF, really hurt his fantasy value last year. The Giants will have a better offense next year, but I don't know if it's going to be enough to boost him into elite status. I'm willing to let someone else reach for that risk. ;-)
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:07 pm

my point was that he had an excellent season with the bat. the fact that the giants were pretty much decimated by injuries and that pablo had that freak injury which cost him a month were the only things holding him back fantasy-wise last year, and that most likely won't be as much of a problem in 2012. even with the line up he had for most of last year, he was on about a 30 HR, 90-RBI pace if he had played 150 games. obviously we can't know for certain what would have happened if he hadn't broken his hamate bone, but looking at the numbers he put up despite the time he missed, combined with his age and injury history is respect to the other 3B targets, i think he's easily one of the best options after longoria and batista.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:33 pm

To the OP, how deep of a keeper are we talking?

Just be sure to not overpay on him as owning him longterm is a risky proposition.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby SAV » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:42 pm

RedHopeful wrote:To the OP, how deep of a keeper are we talking?

Just be sure to not overpay on him as owning him longterm is a risky proposition.

League is 320 players deep (over10 teams) with 10 keepers each .... hence the question about top 100 or not.
Thank you!
SAV

“You win pennants in the off season when you build your teams with trades and free agents.” –Earl Weaver
SAV
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby mkultra » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:00 pm

I think you probably keep him in a 10-keeper league. Who else would you be keeping instead of him at the end of your keeper list?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby Padres Fan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:24 pm

hmm considering the depth of talent at 3B he is a keeper option especially since all the playoff teams sported 3B like

NYY A-Rod
Det Inge
Tex Beltre
Tampa Longoria

STL Freese
Phil Polanco
Ariz Ryan Roberts
Mil McGeeHee

As you can see in the NL he is one of the tops, and top 10 in all of baseball for 3B
I like Freese potential, should hit about the same average, 20 maybe even 25 hrs and slightly a little more speed, though he does fall into the Youk/A-Rod brittle factor

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437321
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:56 pm

SAV wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:To the OP, how deep of a keeper are we talking?

League is 320 players deep (over10 teams) with 10 keepers each .... hence the question about top 100 or not.

Gotcha. I'd likely keep him then. If it was't for the injury, he could have had a crazy good season. Still did finish 4th in WAR amongst NL position players. Also, many a player gain some weight during the season, but I have read he's already working to get it off in Arizona.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:46 am

raiders_umpire wrote:I am confident Sandoval will be in my top 100 next year. He will probably be #5 or #6 overall for 3rd basemen in my rankings. There are a few concerns with Sandoval for next year, but there is with about all of the 3rd basemen as well.

I agree. I see Sandoval finishing somewhere between 3rd and 8th overall for 3B. Bautista and Longo are my clear cut favorites. After that yout have guys like Beltre, Wright, Zimm, A Rod, Youkilis, A Ram, Sandoval, and M Young. Any of those guys can outproduce any IMO. Sandoval seems like a safer play than most, but some of those guys could have monster seasons like they have had in the past.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions