P.Sandoval as a keeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

P.Sandoval as a keeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

P.Sandoval as a keeper?

Postby SAV » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:22 am

I like the bat and the 1B/3B eligibility, but the weight scares me. I've offered a combination of Ubaldo, Fister, Pomeranz, Nova and/or one closer from Hanrahan/Putz/Feliz to get Da Panda. But after regaining his weight is Sandoval even a top 100 guy?
Thank you!
SAV

“You win pennants in the off season when you build your teams with trades and free agents.” –Earl Weaver
SAV
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: P.Sandoval as a keeper?

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:17 pm

he did put on some of the weight he lost by the end of the year but he promised the giants that he would report to spring training next year weighing less than he did when he reported this year. i don't see his weight being an issue. he's at least a top 5 3B and probably more like top 3 imo.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

Postby mkultra » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:38 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:he did put on some of the weight he lost by the end of the year but he promised the giants that he would report to spring training next year weighing less than he did when he reported this year. i don't see his weight being an issue. he's at least a top 5 3B and probably more like top 3 imo.

Wow, dude, that's some serious homerism :*)

I think Pablo's more in the 8-10 range, depending on how you feel about guys like Young, Arod, Youk, and Zimmerman. I think you have to take Bautista and Longoria ahead of him, and I'd definitely take Beltre (way better lineup) and Wright (either in a smaller Citi or a better lineup) than the Panda. I might even take Lawrie over him.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby SAV » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:48 pm

mkultra wrote: ... I think Pablo's more in the 8-10 range, depending on how you feel about guys like Young, Arod, Youk, and Zimmerman. I think you have to take Bautista and Longoria ahead of him, and I'd definitely take Beltre (way better lineup) and Wright (either in a smaller Citi or a better lineup) than the Panda. I might even take Lawrie over him.

But the question remains, is Panda a top 100 overall player? Sounds like MKultra says no ... ?
Thank you!
SAV

“You win pennants in the off season when you build your teams with trades and free agents.” –Earl Weaver
SAV
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 pm

mkultra wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:he did put on some of the weight he lost by the end of the year but he promised the giants that he would report to spring training next year weighing less than he did when he reported this year. i don't see his weight being an issue. he's at least a top 5 3B and probably more like top 3 imo.

Wow, dude, that's some serious homerism :*)

I think Pablo's more in the 8-10 range, depending on how you feel about guys like Young, Arod, Youk, and Zimmerman. I think you have to take Bautista and Longoria ahead of him, and I'd definitely take Beltre (way better lineup) and Wright (either in a smaller Citi or a better lineup) than the Panda. I might even take Lawrie over him.

i would hardly call it homerism when the numbers back up what i'm saying. youk and a-rod are made of glass and just not as good as they used to be. beltre is getting older and more fragile. young is old and not near as good as pablo. wright could bounce back, especially with citi getting smaller, but they're probably losing reyes and they lost beltran so that's not gonna help him any. meanwhile pablo is just 25, entering his peak years, and had a great season other than the 1 month he missed (which was a freak injury).

seems like top 5 stuff to me.

also found this after my first post, so i'm not the only one who thinks it.
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/third-base-keepers-tier-four/
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mkultra » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Sandoval hits for power and average, but has ZERO speed. Even in '09, his one legitimately GOOD season, he only hit 90 RBI and couldn't quite reach 80 runs. He's basically a 25HR guy with good average.

I don't think that's bad, and he probably squeaks in the Top 100, but there's no question in my mind that Wright or Beltre are better picks in anything but a dynasty league. I think Zimm's probably a better pick as well, but he'll probably fall past Sandoval because of his down year. Young, btw, may be getting older, but he'll probably DH, which works in his favor at least next year.

Until he shows up to ST trim and focused, you have to consider his weight a liability. Certainly as much as your concerns about any of those players you named.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby fast dogs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Top 100 yes. rank of top 5-6 3rd basemen Beltre, Zimm or Sandoval is kind of personal preference but I want any/all of them as my 3rd basemen in all my leagues next year. I'll take any of those ahead of A Rod and Youk who are clearly on their way down. Young, A Ram and Lawrie are ok if you don't end up with 1 of the top 6, but I'd certainly make the trade you are presenting and be thrilled with Sandoval manning the hot corner on my fantasy team
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 305)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:50 pm

mkultra wrote:Even in '09, his one legitimately GOOD season.

how exactly was 2011 not a good season? he hit the 4th most homeruns by 3B (despite missing that month), had the highest OPS, wOBA and wRC+ and 3rd highest ISO behind longoria and beltre. this was all without a single other legitimate hitter near him in the line up (until beltran). the giants line up will be better next year (it'd be almost impossible for it not to be), he's coming into this prime, and he's pretty healthy (at least relative to the other 3B options). i don't see any way he's not well into the top 100.

PS- not many 3B have much speed, power and average is basically what you're looking for out of the position.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby MaudDib » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:15 pm

I would say he is a top 100 guy. Where he sits in the 3B rankings, is probably more preference than anything. Really all 3B have something to be concerned about and all are far from sure things.

Not sure if you are looking for something more than that. As for the guys you are offering, I like Pablo more than all of them and depending on the league, I would probably decline any trade with any of those guys in it. Way too many question marks in that group.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:16 pm

I am confident Sandoval will be in my top 100 next year. He will probably be #5 or #6 overall for 3rd basemen in my rankings. There are a few concerns with Sandoval for next year, but there is with about all of the 3rd basemen as well.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions