Toronto Closer situation? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Toronto Closer situation?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Toronto Closer situation?

Postby Iguana » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:10 am

Any thoughts, advice or news on this?

A.Lopez has been getting shelled. Will he get the job to start? Or will Speirer or Lightenberg? Will they use a comittee?

I have Lopez in two leagues. Speier is taken in both....is it worth picking up Lightenberg for insurance?
Iguana

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby tool069c » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:13 am

I heard lightenberg to start, he did it for the braves before...98 and 00' i think...so he has the exp. I assume its his unless he falters...
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Toronto Closer situation?

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:54 am

Iguana wrote:Any thoughts, advice or news on this?

Thoughts....Stay away.... :-)
Advice....Stay away.... :-)
News....They probably use a CBC.... :-o

over all....stay away... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Toronto Closer situation?

Postby RynMan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:22 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:
Iguana wrote:Any thoughts, advice or news on this?

Thoughts....Stay away.... :-)
Advice....Stay away.... :-)
News....They probably use a CBC.... :-o

over all....stay away... :-)

agreed. cuz its toronto, it looks enticing. dont touch it.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Homebrewer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:24 am

Looking like a prime committee situation. I think they wanted Lopez to grab the job, but it seems to be eluding his reach. Ligtenburg (Atl) and Speier (Colo) have both closed and will probably do a little more here.

Full disclosure: I recently snagged Speier late in a draft. The league scores holds, so I'm convincing myself it's not a wasted pick.
Homebrewer

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Stay Away

Postby Ry-Guy » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:35 am

Don't go near the Blue Jays' closers; they will all take turns blowing games. I think they will make a trade for a closer sooner or later after they try Lopez, Speier, and Ligtenberg.

Rumor has it the Dodgers may deal Gagne to the Jays if they feel they can't keep him long term. That could be a great scenario if Mota inherits the job in L.A. after Gagne exits. Stay tuned.......
Check out www.hardcorefantasybaseball.com
Ry-Guy
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Stay Away

Postby Green Monstah » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:53 am

Ry-Guy wrote:Rumor has it the Dodgers may deal Gagne to the Jays if they feel they can't keep him long term. That could be a great scenario if Mota inherits the job in L.A. after Gagne exits. Stay tuned.......

who would the Jays give to get Gagne? The only player I see the Dodgers even considering there would be Vernon Wells (and the Jays will not trade him with with his age and salary).

As for Toronto, I think Lopez has blew his chance this spring. I personally see it starting off as a CBC, and have Ligtenberg win out the closer job to himself by the all star break. If you are desperaste for saves, then take a chance....if not, stay away :-o
Green Monstah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: Stay Away

Postby swingaway » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:12 am

Green Monstah wrote:
Ry-Guy wrote:Rumor has it the Dodgers may deal Gagne to the Jays if they feel they can't keep him long term. That could be a great scenario if Mota inherits the job in L.A. after Gagne exits. Stay tuned.......

who would the Jays give to get Gagne? The only player I see the Dodgers even considering there would be Vernon Wells (and the Jays will not trade him with with his age and salary).

they would probably trade gagne for delgado since phelps could take over at first and i think gagne would be cheaper fro the jays than keepin delgado. So this could possbily work if it was proposesd.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby polyphonic » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:18 am

I don't see the Dodgers doing a trade for Delgado. Delgado is one of the five highest paid players in baseball, and he plays a position of little defensive importance. I don't see a stat-hungry guy like Depodesta making a move like that. More reasonable would be Gagne + Jackson for Wells, which I think would help both teams, but if I'm Riccardi, I don't do that deal either. I'd rather trade for Mota than trade for Gagne. He's younger, cheaper, and could probably be had for a lot less. Phelps, maybe?
serious as a heart attack
makes me feel this way
polyphonic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DGroundhog » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:50 am

Last I heard (2 days ago) all indications were that Lopez would be given the job. An official announcement should come very soon.

It also sounded like Speier would be next in line, with Lightenburg an option.

I'm not shy about taking a chance on a closer, and I don't think the Toronto situation is the worst place to be a closer. There should be plenty of ssave chances, and whoever winds up with the job will benefit.

People kept using Mesa, Williams, Benitez and other closers who routinely got shelled last year in the desperate pursuit of a few extra saves. I see no reason why the Toronto situation can't produce a closer at least as effective as those stiffs.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers