Just Took Over a Team, Need Keeper Help WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Just Took Over a Team, Need Keeper Help WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Just Took Over a Team, Need Keeper Help WHIR

Postby bobnerns » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:39 pm

fast dogs wrote:The best news here is it might have been a derelict team in 2013, but with only 4 keepers and no bad contracts to be saddled with, you can contend right away. Since you only listed 1 expensive player in your intitial options, I'm wondering if there might have been another expensice contract you didn't post. In many 10 team auctions, you end up with a "stars & scrubs" roster unlike deeper leagues where you want every player to be a value pick. What many managers try to do is spend big on as many good players as they can, then fill in the rest of their roster with minimim bids just because there are so many good players that won't get auctioned in a 10 teamer. Since you didn't consider Ells a sure thing like so many of the replys, maybe there is another higher priced player you didn't list right away. Cueto, Ogando, Buch...all decent players at a small cost, but thats how all the rosters end up being filled out in a 10 teamer. Maybe there isn't another $20-30 player on your roster to consider, but 10 team auctions play a little differently than their big brothers

You're exactly right about the stars and scrubs on this team. And I'm confident I can win this league next season. There are only a few really good keepers out there (Carlos Gonzalez for $5, Jose Bautista for $6, David Price for $5, Stephen Strasburg for $2 next season). And if I am not in contention come playoffs, I'll be throwing my entire team at those guys.

Here's the guys I didn't include:
Ryan Howard - $29
Evan Longoria - $41
Chase Utley - $21
Placido Polanco - $2
Mitch Moreland - $2
Justin Upton - $48
Jay Bruce - $19
Austin Jackson - $3
Ian Kinsler - $29
Denard Span - $2
Chris Coghlan - $4
Edwin Encarnacion - $2
Chase Headley - $2
Kurt Suzuki - $2

Chris Carpenter - $24
Joakim Soria - $16
Travis Wood - $2
Josh Johnson - $17
David Aardsma - $2
Johan Santana - $2
Fernando Rodney - $2
Jon Garland - $2
John Lackey - $2

For the last draft in this league, a lot of teams kept the expensive stars, including this team. My plan was to go young and cheap until I started writing this sentence. Now, I'm thinking that since I don't have any young studs, I'll keep decent value players for next year, like Ellsbury, and try to snag some big time prospects to keep for the 2013 season.
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fast dogs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:23 pm

I would keep Bruce ahead of the SP you were going to with your 4th spot.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 254)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:26 pm

fast dogs wrote:I would keep Bruce ahead of the SP you were going to with your 4th spot.

I agree.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Padres Fan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Hmmm IMO with a 4 keeper team, I would value offense over pitching, especially now that Pitchers are dominate again.

I would go

Jay Bruce $19
Cabrera $2
Kendrick $3
Moreland $2

if you are insitent on keeping a pitcher I go Bucholz over Moreland, I like Ells but think $29 is a little much especially with his injury history, and Bruce is priced better long term. Moreland is the man at 1B in TEX and I expect him as a .280 25hr next year since now he has some experience under his belt

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437321
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Evan Longoria - $41
Jay Bruce - $19
Asdrubal Cabrera - $3
Jacoby Ellsbury - $29
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bobnerns » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:51 am

Thanks for all the input. Just one more question. Paul Goldschmidt and Anthony Rizzo are both free agents, so I could keep one or both for $5. And to reiterate, there's no contracts so either would just cost just $9 come 2016, for example.
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:27 pm

bobnerns wrote:Thanks for all the input. Just one more question. Paul Goldschmidt and Anthony Rizzo are both free agents, so I could keep one or both for $5. And to reiterate, there's no contracts so either would just cost just $9 come 2016, for example.

I would pass on both.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fast dogs » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:59 pm

In a much bigger league Rizzo might have some value, but theres a real good chance he goes undrafted in a 10 teamer next year. If possible, go back and look at the draft/auction results for 2011; I'm guessing the last 40 or so players nearly all went for the minimum as managers spent big bucks on stars and still had plenty of talent to go around at the end. That is why guys like Ells, Bruce & Longoria are getting selected as keepers and at first you wanted to only look at cheaper alternatives as keepers. In a small auction, you want to keep reasonably priced stars and guys like Rizzo aren't a factor in this shallow of a league
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 254)

Postby bobnerns » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:39 am

fast dogs wrote:In a much bigger league Rizzo might have some value, but theres a real good chance he goes undrafted in a 10 teamer next year. If possible, go back and look at the draft/auction results for 2011; I'm guessing the last 40 or so players nearly all went for the minimum as managers spent big bucks on stars and still had plenty of talent to go around at the end. That is why guys like Ells, Bruce & Longoria are getting selected as keepers and at first you wanted to only look at cheaper alternatives as keepers. In a small auction, you want to keep reasonably priced stars and guys like Rizzo aren't a factor in this shallow of a league

Thanks a lot. It's been a while since I've played in this small of a league, and I've never played in an auction or keeper, so there's a slight learning curve. I guess my thoughts are that in 3 years, those top prospect guys could be huge so it'd be good to get in on the ground floor. But I think that I could buy either of them in the draft for $1-2.
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions