Just Took Over a Team, Need Keeper Help WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Just Took Over a Team, Need Keeper Help WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just Took Over a Team, Need Keeper Help WHIR

Postby bobnerns » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:41 pm

I was just given a derelict team in a 10-team keeper auction league. Keeper prices go up by 10% from auction, always rounded up. So someone bought for $10 costs $11 next year and $13 for 2013. Any non-drafted free agent costs $5 for next year. There is no limit on the number of years we can keep a player. Auction and rosters are standard ESPN settings with $260 for draft and 25-man rosters (3 bench). We keep 4 players maximum.

The two guys I'm definitely keeping are Asdrubal Cabrera ($2) and Howard Kendrick ($3). I'd like some advice on my other two picks. Here are the guys I'm considering and what they will cost to keep next year.

Jacoby Ellsbury - $29
Daniel Bard - $2
Johnny Cueto - $2
Scott Baker - $5
Jonathan Sanchez - $3
Alexi Ogando - $5
Clay Buchholz - $5
Ryan Vogelsong - $5
Francisco Liriano - $3

Ellsbury has value at $29 next season, but he won't have long-term value because he'd be $32 in 2013 and $36 in 2014. Clearly Bard's value all depends on if Papelbon gets traded.

So what two guys from that list would you keep (and let's assume Bard will be Boston's closer next year)?

Leave your link.
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Just Took Over a Team, Need Keeper Help WHIR

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:39 pm

I would most certainly keep Ellsbury. Even in 2013/2014 you aren't paying a terrible price (assuming his production stays near 2010 levels).

I doubt Bard will be a closer for the Sox. With Lackey out for 2012, the Sox only have 3 SP options now (Lester, Beckett, Buchholz). Aceves will most likely not be moved into the rotation, per the GM on a radio interview. He did say however that Bard could be given a place in the rotation. I'm thinking this is true as the Sox probably won't acquire more than 1 FA SP and have no SP in the farm that are ready yet.

For the other keeper, I would probably take Bard, Ogando, or Baker. I think Baker has the most talent but also stands to be the first injured.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby fast dogs » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Ells isn't bad price and I wouldn't write him off for 2013 @ $32 either. In a 10 teamer your top 2 rounds of stars always go for too much; Cueto if Bard isn't closing by the time you make your choices
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby monty797 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Ells is a no brainer for me even at 29 he should be able to provide that value.

I would probably consider Buchholz honestly, he's got talent, he's on a good team, he should get wins. He's a risk but at that price he could end up being a steal for you.
"True friends stab you in the front"
-Oscar Wilde
monty797
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Jacoby Ellsbury - $29
Clay Buchholz - $5
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:35 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:Jacoby Ellsbury - $29
Clay Buchholz - $5

Agreed.

Disregard my last post. I didn't even notice Buchholz was on that list. My bad! :-D
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:58 am

Ellsbury for sure. The other options pretty much suck so just pick your favorite. I'd probably go with Cueto and spend as little money as possible.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:01 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Ellsbury for sure. The other options pretty much suck so just pick your favorite. I'd probably go with Cueto and spend as little money as possible.

I'm in this boat. ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MaudDib » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:18 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Ellsbury for sure. The other options pretty much suck so just pick your favorite. I'd probably go with Cueto and spend as little money as possible.

I'm in this boat. ;-D

;-D Have to agree. You are pretty much throwing darts at some bottom of the rotation arms so take the guy with the lowest price tag.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby fast dogs » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:47 pm

The best news here is it might have been a derelict team in 2013, but with only 4 keepers and no bad contracts to be saddled with, you can contend right away. Since you only listed 1 expensive player in your intitial options, I'm wondering if there might have been another expensice contract you didn't post. In many 10 team auctions, you end up with a "stars & scrubs" roster unlike deeper leagues where you want every player to be a value pick. What many managers try to do is spend big on as many good players as they can, then fill in the rest of their roster with minimim bids just because there are so many good players that won't get auctioned in a 10 teamer. Since you didn't consider Ells a sure thing like so many of the replys, maybe there is another higher priced player you didn't list right away. Cueto, Ogando, Buch...all decent players at a small cost, but thats how all the rosters end up being filled out in a 10 teamer. Maybe there isn't another $20-30 player on your roster to consider, but 10 team auctions play a little differently than their big brothers
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions