Dynasty Trade *WHIR* Need opinions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Dynasty Trade *WHIR* Need opinions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty Trade *WHIR* Need opinions

Postby monty797 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:34 pm

I have a team in a 24 league dynasty league. We carry 9 positions, 5 SP's, 2 RP's and a 10 man bench split between Pitcher / Batter as well as a 15 man minor leagues.

My team is in the middle of a rebuilding process where I have absolutely zero chance of competing this year, which is fine. Pitching in this league is extremely hard to get, the most expensive being young near MLB ready arms. I'm thinking about boosting my young pitching corps as I can use some upper end pitching prospects.

I have the pleasure of owning Mike Stanton right now who is a beast. I'm considering trading him in an effort to get a few high end prospects. I have the option of picking up Jarrod Parker, Chris Sale and Yasmani Grandal straight up for Stanton. I'm considering the deal, I would hate to move Stanton, but pitching is so hard to get that I'm considering something like this.

What do you all think?
"True friends stab you in the front"
-Oscar Wilde
monty797
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty Trade *WHIR* Need opinions

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Pass on this one. Stanton has proven he can handle the majors and is now knocking at the door of stardom. You need to get a ton more than 3 decent young players.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MaudDib » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:51 pm

I would pass as well. I know pitching is hard to come by but I would look to get someone with more upside than Parker. Someone like Teheran or Shelby Miller or Matt Moore. All three would be expensive but in a trade with a guy like Stanton, at least reasonable.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 281)

Postby monty797 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:54 pm

MaudDib wrote:I would pass as well. I know pitching is hard to come by but I would look to get someone with more upside than Parker. Someone like Teheran or Shelby Miller or Matt Moore. All three would be expensive but in a trade with a guy like Stanton, at least reasonable.

I tend to agree, though in this league Stanton wouldn't actually get you Teheran or Moore, believe it or not. The owner of Miller I've talked with but it's not a likely deal as he's just not interested in moving him. Maybe's it's just better to hold onto Stanton until things change.
"True friends stab you in the front"
-Oscar Wilde
monty797
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:31 pm

monty797 wrote:
MaudDib wrote:I would pass as well. I know pitching is hard to come by but I would look to get someone with more upside than Parker. Someone like Teheran or Shelby Miller or Matt Moore. All three would be expensive but in a trade with a guy like Stanton, at least reasonable.

I tend to agree, though in this league Stanton wouldn't actually get you Teheran or Moore, believe it or not. The owner of Miller I've talked with but it's not a likely deal as he's just not interested in moving him. Maybe's it's just better to hold onto Stanton until things change.

Stanton wouldn't get you Teheran or Moore? Stanton is a growing monster, while both of those pitchers have proven nothing at the MLB level. Seems to me if this is the general thought process of league, you should adjust your strategy. If pitchers and pitching prospects are so highly regarded, go for hitters.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:
monty797 wrote:

Stanton wouldn't get you Teheran or Moore? Stanton is a growing monster, while both of those pitchers have proven nothing at the MLB level. Seems to me if this is the general thought process of league, you should adjust your strategy. If pitchers and pitching prospects are so highly regarded, go for hitters.

Agreed. In a dynasty league, I don't think there's a single pitcher I'd trade straight up for Stanton. Hitting > pitching, and young hitters like Stanton are simply too valuable to lose. Does your league use some esoteric settings that make pitching more valuable than in a standard scoring league?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:51 am

I would not give up the young stud in Stanton for that package.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:Seems to me if this is the general thought process of league, you should adjust your strategy. If pitchers and pitching prospects are so highly regarded, go for hitters.

Precisely. Dominate the league's hitting categories and just strive to at least be passable with the pitching cats.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby legoshoe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Stanton is a piece you can build around as he is VERY young and just starting. And when you do decide to deal him it's gotta be a much bigger package and make it bat heavy as another poster indicated. Good luck rebuilding! I went from 19th in a 20 team league to league champion in two years so stay the course!
legoshoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Postby pjalst » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:26 pm

I agree with the others. If you MUST deal Stanton you should demand an established ace and top of the line pitching prospects, not just prospects. Anything less and you're making a big mistake.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 33)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions