Which MR has the best potential to close? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which MR has the best potential to close?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which MR has the best potential to close?

Postby pjalst » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Which of these MR's has the best potential to close in the near future?

Chris Sale
Daniel BArd
DAvid Hernandez
Eric O'Flaherty
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which MR has the best potential to close?

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:32 pm

Sale is rumored to be going to the rotation next year, so count him out for now. I see no way that Boston doesn't resign Papelbon this offseason, especially after the September that Bard just had. That knocks Bard out. O'Flaherty is behind 2 others in Atlanta, so even if a injury occurs to one of Kimbrel or Venters, he is still behind in picking up saves. That pretty much leaves Hernandez as a save vulture for next year. Of course all of this could change with some trades this offseason.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pjalst » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks for the insight ;-D
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Well said Raiders, but I'd still gamble on Bard first. Before this past September, Bard was a model of consistency and the Red Sox could conceivably still give him a shot. Plus they could sign someone as insurance to him for a fraction of the cost in keeping Paps.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MaudDib » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:54 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:Sale is rumored to be going to the rotation next year, so count him out for now. I see no way that Boston doesn't resign Papelbon this offseason, especially after the September that Bard just had. That knocks Bard out. O'Flaherty is behind 2 others in Atlanta, so even if a injury occurs to one of Kimbrel or Venters, he is still behind in picking up saves. That pretty much leaves Hernandez as a save vulture for next year. Of course all of this could change with some trades this offseason.

;-D agreed. Not sure if this for keepers or a trade but if you can wait through the off season then most of this will become clearer.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby pjalst » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:01 pm

MaudDib wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:Sale is rumored to be going to the rotation next year, so count him out for now. I see no way that Boston doesn't resign Papelbon this offseason, especially after the September that Bard just had. That knocks Bard out. O'Flaherty is behind 2 others in Atlanta, so even if a injury occurs to one of Kimbrel or Venters, he is still behind in picking up saves. That pretty much leaves Hernandez as a save vulture for next year. Of course all of this could change with some trades this offseason.

;-D agreed. Not sure if this for keepers or a trade but if you can wait through the off season then most of this will become clearer.

It's for a Dynasty, Rosters have to be cut down and I'm looking to make a trade within the week. I was offered a choice of Bard, Sale or Hernandez. I could use a potential closer, but I could also use an SP if SAle goes that route.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:37 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Well said Raiders, but I'd still gamble on Bard first. Before this past September, Bard was a model of consistency and the Red Sox could conceivably still give him a shot. Plus they could sign someone as insurance to him for a fraction of the cost in keeping Paps.

With Lackey slated to miss all of 2012, the Red Sox are considering using Bard as a SP. And if that is the case, Paps will most likely be back as the closer. These decisions haven't been made yet, though. Also, the new GM has stated repeatedly that Aceves (who was a RP workhorse and spot starter) will stay in the pen.

My guess is that Bard becomes a SP as the Sox only have 3 right now, won't move Aceves to the rotation, and most likely won't sign more than 1 FA SP. And I don't think any of the farm SP are ready yet.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby fast dogs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Sale would be a great add even tho he wouldn't most likely close; he's the 1 I'd target if you can get him.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:54 am

pjalst wrote:

It's for a Dynasty, Rosters have to be cut down and I'm looking to make a trade within the week. I was offered a choice of Bard, Sale or Hernandez. I could use a potential closer, but I could also use an SP if SAle goes that route.

I would probably go with Sale in that situation and hope the move to the rotation works for him.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MrBulky » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Just remember, if Bard and Sale go to the rotation, neither will likely last past 150 IP; Bard's career high in IP is around 75 and with Sale's young age coupled with the lack of innings on him, too, they will either be on an innings limit or likely not be effective later in the season. As always there are exceptions, but generally you shouldn't count on them past July or August
MrBulky
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions