1st time FAAB - need answers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

1st time FAAB - need answers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1st time FAAB - need answers

Postby baseballboy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:33 am

I am an experienced commissioner starting a new keeper league on CBS sports and I am going to use FAAB which I am new to. I've researched for weeks and can not find a clear answer for my concerns.

1) Regarding waivers on dropped players - Can you set length of days for the waiver period (say 2 days) & is there a minimum of number days a player can be on waivers once a player is dropped?

2) Regarding free agents - I want my league members to be able to put in a bid for a free agent once games are in process on say Tuesday and have the winner receive the player before games start on Wednesday. Is this possible?

3) Can the FAAB system handel the following set up: A player is dropped and is put on waivers for 2 days, allowing all teams extra time to consider the waived player - AND - while the website preforms this task it will still treat free agents as in question #2 above on a daily basis? Bottom line - are these two tasks able to work together using FAAB.
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 1st time FAAB - need answers

Postby TopChuckie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm a commish on CBS but I can't speak specifically to your questions, however I can tell you that CBS has a FAAB system in name only. My league has a very traditional FAAB system and I am still forced to process our FAAB by hand, the most time consuming part of my job as commish, because of the limitations of CBS's FAAB system, which I and many others have written to them about on numerous occasions over the years, to no avail.

If the FAAB system is one of the most critical requirements for you in a stats service, then you are probably far better off going with OnRoto. Their standard FAAB system as far better than CBS's and they are far more receptive to making changes to suit your league's needs.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby baseballboy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:11 pm

TopChuckie wrote:I'm a commish on CBS but I can't speak specifically to your questions, however I can tell you that CBS has a FAAB system in name only. My league has a very traditional FAAB system and I am still forced to process our FAAB by hand, the most time consuming part of my job as commish, because of the limitations of CBS's FAAB system, which I and many others have written to them about on numerous occasions over the years, to no avail.

If the FAAB system is one of the most critical requirements for you in a stats service, then you are probably far better off going with OnRoto. Their standard FAAB system as far better than CBS's and they are far more receptive to making changes to suit your league's needs.

TopChuckie - I have been perusing the OnRoto.com site and it will fill all my FAAB needs and then some. Very nice site filled with loads of versility in many areas. And cost less ;-D then CBS sports. Thanks again!
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigmck » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:04 pm

baseballboy wrote:I am an experienced commissioner starting a new keeper league on CBS sports and I am going to use FAAB which I am new to. I've researched for weeks and can not find a clear answer for my concerns.

I have been using the FAAB on CBS for the last four years. I am a fan of it and feel that it works great. Now to you questions.
1) Regarding waivers on dropped players - Can you set length of days for the waiver period (say 2 days) & is there a minimum of number days a player can be on waivers once a player is dropped?

The answer is yes. You can set for either 1, 2 or 3 days. We have ours at one day. This means that if a player is dropped on Tuesday, he will be eligible for the FAAB run of 1:07 AM ET on Thursday. It runs always at 1:07 ET. You can set the FAAB to run every day of the week or only the days that you want. Ours runs every day but still in the example above the dropped player would have to wait a full day before he was eligible for it. == The minimum is one day.

2) Regarding free agents - I want my league members to be able to put in a bid for a free agent once games are in process on say Tuesday and have the winner receive the player before games start on Wednesday. Is this possible?

No, you can't do that. The FAAB always runs at 1:07 AM ET.

3) Can the FAAB system handel the following set up: A player is dropped and is put on waivers for 2 days, allowing all teams extra time to consider the waived player - AND - while the website preforms this task it will still treat free agents as in question #2 above on a daily basis? Bottom line - are these two tasks able to work together using FAAB.

Not sure what you mean. If your waivers are set for two days and a player is dropped Monday, he would be elibgible for the FAAB run of Thursday AM. Any other player that has cleared waivers could be bid on at anytime that the FAAB runs.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby TopChuckie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:52 pm

The main problem I have with CBS is that they don't properly prioritize and process contingency bids, and that's a deal breaker for me, as far as using their FAAB. I simply refuse to "dumb down" our FAAB process. I do still prefer them over OnRoto for most every other aspect, so much so that I suffer through doing our FAAB by hand rather than move to OnRoto and their superior FAAB system. If CBS would just implement OnRoto's FAAB system I would pretty much have no complaints.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:18 pm

TopChuckie wrote:The main problem I have with CBS is that they don't properly prioritize and process contingency bids, and that's a deal breaker for me, as far as using their FAAB. I simply refuse to "dumb down" our FAAB process. I do still prefer them over OnRoto for most every other aspect, so much so that I suffer through doing our FAAB by hand rather than move to OnRoto and their superior FAAB system. If CBS would just implement OnRoto's FAAB system I would pretty much have no complaints.

I agree that not being able to "prioritize" the bids is a minus for their system. -- What do you mean having to "process them by hand"? The FAAB does process automatically if desired.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TopChuckie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:17 pm

bigmck wrote:I agree that not being able to "prioritize" the bids is a minus for their system. -- What do you mean having to "process them by hand"? The FAAB does process automatically if desired.

Ha, no, I mean BY HAND. Because CBS won't prioritize our bids the way we may want them prioritized, I have everyone submit their FAAB bids to me via password protected Excel file each Friday by midnight, then we send the passwords by Saturday at midnight, I open all the files and award the players accordingly and then input it all at CBS, by Monday at noon. It's a bitch.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:28 pm

I just took a look at Fantrax.com again. It is free and seems to have some good features. I have never used the site, but go to this link to see the features.
http://www3.fantrax.com/showPage.go?page=features
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 23 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:23 pm

First time hearing about onroto.com. Anyone able to compare that site with allstarstats?
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Commissioner's Corner