Urban Cohorts wrote:Definite Keepers
1) Hanley Ramirez - SS is thin, should rebound somewhat
2) Dustin Pedroia - Best or 2nd best 2B
3) Eric Hosmer - Incredibly high upside 1B
4) Jason Heyward - Incredibly high upside OF
5) Desmond Jennings - Ditto to Heyward but less established
6) Mat Latos - Should be an elite SP, best of the bunch you have listed IMO and by a good margin
7) Michael Pineda - Would make my list. Has only been good for a year, plays for a poor team, but it looks like SEA is handling him perfectly (not too many IP). High upside, though I do like Latos more.
Mike Moustakas - Hasn't shown anything yet
Justin Masterson - Not in the same class as the rest IMO
Jeremy Hellickson - Has a lot of talent but pitches in the AL East (bad for H2H leagues) and you have 2 better SP keeper options IMO
Nelson Cruz - No way do I keep him in an OBP league and he is always good for missing some time. The only reason I would consider keeping him is if I could trade him for someone right out of the gate. Inquire with other guys in the league and see if they are interested then trade him.
Joe Mauer vs. Buster Posey - I HATE to keep catchers. That said, Mauer has been a top C with a top OBP for years. Mauer did not perform terribly when he came back from injury and he also hits in what looks like a slightly better lineup than SF. Posey on the other hand, sustained a significant injury for a catcher (a broken leg) and did not play at all following that. He hits in a worse lineup and is still young and unproven. I do not believe he is automatically a top 5 catcher (he is no Carlos Santana IMO). My best guess would be that Posey only gets a standard amount of AB for a catcher (limited starts at 1B to prevent wearing out their young franchise player a year after major injury). Mauer will get more AB as he can play 1B AND at DH. Posey does offer good upside, but he has more question marks than Mauer. So I would go with Mauer.
Agreed about Cruz. He would be the guy I would cut if you were to keep another SP.
Forgot all about Posey's injury and there is a lot of concern about how he recovers from that. The longer you can wait to make this decision the better. I am not sold on Mauer either so maybe you keep Latos over Posey but again I would try and wait until Spring Training and see what that status of Posey is then.