Computer Use During Auction - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Computer Use During Auction

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Computer Use During Auction

Postby bigmck » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:04 pm

The league I run is in its 17th year. When the league started only a few of the guys used computers at the in-person auction. After about the third year a couple of us felt that one owner was using a program like John Benson's that calculates a players worth compared to other remaining players as the auction progresses and gives a ceiling on the amount that should be bid on him. We decided at this point to install a rule that computers were legal but put everyone on the honor system not to use this type of program and only use database programs. We would also tell all new owners of this rule. Since computers are used by almost everyone in our league these days and these type of programs are everywhere and some free. A few have suspected that the illegal programs are being used anyway and a rule proposal has been put forth for the spring to allow any program to be used since probably a few use them anyway. == Do any of you have this problem or have any thoughts on this. Thanks,
Last edited by bigmck on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Computer Use During Auction

Postby fast dogs » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:27 pm

I'd think by allowing this you take away the problem. There are always going to be some of us who think we're smarter than what the program says; and maybe knowing what the program says and using the info "against them"
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Postby converge241 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:53 am

Definetly should be allowed, so many people swear blindly by their sheets/databases/projections/etc that they get led astray as much as any insight it gives.

I joined a long time league (going since 81) with a "no computer" rule that I was unaware of and got "in trouble" for bringing a laptop that solely had a spreadsheet on the desktop just to enter everyone's teams as opposed to writing them on paper. I had to switch back to hand writing them ;)
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby mkultra » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:54 am

Agreed, why fight it? In a league that old, I'm assuming that most, if not all, of you are reasonably savvy managers. Relying on a crutch like that shouldn't bring much of an advantage. In fact, if I were in that draft I'd be making a point of ribbing that guy the entire time- "Hey, does your laptop think I got a good deal?"

Meanwhile, I think there's an actual benefit from being able to quickly search for guys, and especially do a last minute "any health/playing time concerns?" check on guys in the later rounds who you may not be so familiar with. To the extent that it prevents me from making dumb mistakes, I think having a laptop with internet access is just fine.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby 23 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:27 pm

I think as long as everyone has access to the same information there's no issue.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Saltydog » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:53 pm

I'm not sure a "program" can account for injuries and countless adjustments that need to be made throughout the year.

In September, I was able to go back and look at my primary league's draft and nearly 50-60% of the rosters were turned over.

Of course, our league isn't an auction draft so take it FWIW.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 143)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:45 am

bigmck wrote: We decided at this point to install a rule that computers were legal but put everyone on the honor system not to use this type of program and only use database programs.

There's your problem right there. Asking people who are competing together not to take what seems like a competitive advantage with the only check on their evil, evil impulses being their honor.... well, that's just not realistic.

I agree with the above sentiment - why fight it? It's not a game-changer. People who rigidly adhere to auction values are just as easy to get the upper hand as anyone, it just takes a slightly different approach. I'm sure your old-timers will adapt and thrive.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby JonC0226 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:15 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:
bigmck wrote: There's your problem right there. Asking people who are competing together not to take what seems like a competitive advantage with the only check on their evil, evil impulses being their honor.... well, that's just not realistic.

Exactly why MLB had to institute a PED testing policy.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:13 pm

I see no reason it should be disallowed. Let them have at it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Return to Commissioner's Corner