Who are my six keepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who are my six keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who are my six keepers

Postby Surfs up » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:47 am

I play in a 12 team standard 5x5 scoring six player keeper. Players can be kept three additional years after being drafted. A total of four years. I'm torn on a couple of players to keep.We an play hit 15 and pitch 10 with no bench. Normal fielding positions except we add two CI , two MI and a UTL that can be anybody except a pitcher.
I do have have two first rd picks in the 2012 draft.

Miquel Cabrera Keeper
Hanley Ramirez Keeper
Jose Bautista Keeper

Kipnis
Jennings
Hosmer
Lawrie
Wainwright
Beachy
Worley
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who are my six keepers

Postby MaudDib » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:16 am

I would take 2 of Jennings, Hosmer and Lawrie and then keep Wainwright. Wainwright is a top 5 SP and easily the best of that group. Then I would take 2 of the 3 rookies with my preference just Lawrie and Hosmer.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:19 am

Miquel Cabrera
Hanley Ramirez
Jose Bautista
Hosmer
Lawrie
Wainwright
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fast dogs » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:10 pm

I like the advice you are getting. Wain might not be the sexy 3rd choice but I think he's a solid 1 and 1 that I would make as well. Tough to know which youngster to not include but Hosmer gets in for sure
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 304)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:54 pm

MaudDib wrote:I would take 2 of Jennings, Hosmer and Lawrie and then keep Wainwright. Wainwright is a top 5 SP and easily the best of that group. Then I would take 2 of the 3 rookies with my preference just Lawrie and Hosmer.

;-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:49 pm

Have to go against the grain. Can't see Wainwright finishing as a top 5-10 SP as he'll have the usual post-TJ rust + face a likely IP limit. Keep Jennings and then make a deal if needed for pitching.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:32 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Have to go against the grain. Can't see Wainwright finishing as a top 5-10 SP as he'll have the usual post-TJ rust + face a likely IP limit. Keep Jennings and then make a deal if needed for pitching.

I'm going to have to agree here, though I'm more optimistic about Wainwright than RedHopeful is. I would not pass up Hosmer, Lawrie, and Jennings (in that order) in a league where you can keep them for another 3 years.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MaudDib » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:34 pm

I am pretty shocked that people are more willing to gamble on three rookies than a yearly Cy Young candidate. I know SP are pretty volatile but so are rookies. Most rookies won't match people's projections there second year. It takes time especially because of how young they are. Occasionally you get a Longoria, Braun or Pujols but more likely you will get one of the Uptons, Heyward or Strasburg. All four would have been on this kind of list and all have had issues. Some it takes time for them to get going, while others have had injuries that have kept them back. Who knows but Wainwright is healthy now and should be at full strength for Spring Training and ready to roll come the start of the season. If this was one of those situations where we didn't know when he would be ready, then I take the rookies but Wainwright is a top 5 SP when healthy and is unlikely to be any different next year.

Rant over. Just amazed that people are more willing to take a risk with rookies because they have never done wrong or you want to have the next big thing on your team rather than take the guy that has already shown to be an all-star. Very few Aces out there and Wainwright is one of those guys that you can trust every time he pitches.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:00 pm

MaudDib wrote:I am pretty shocked that people are more willing to gamble on three rookies than a yearly Cy Young candidate. I know SP are pretty volatile but so are rookies. Most rookies won't match people's projections there second year. It takes time especially because of how young they are. Occasionally you get a Longoria, Braun or Pujols but more likely you will get one of the Uptons, Heyward or Strasburg. All four would have been on this kind of list and all have had issues. Some it takes time for them to get going, while others have had injuries that have kept them back. Who knows but Wainwright is healthy now and should be at full strength for Spring Training and ready to roll come the start of the season. If this was one of those situations where we didn't know when he would be ready, then I take the rookies but Wainwright is a top 5 SP when healthy and is unlikely to be any different next year.

Rant over. Just amazed that people are more willing to take a risk with rookies because they have never done wrong or you want to have the next big thing on your team rather than take the guy that has already shown to be an all-star. Very few Aces out there and Wainwright is one of those guys that you can trust every time he pitches.

You make some very solid points here that I cannot counter. Yes, Wainwright is an elite top-5 pitcher when healthy (and all signs point to this being so in 2012). Yes, top prospects/hot young hitters do not always pan out to their expectations (the examples you listed were spot on).

However, I think that since the owner has all three of Lawrie, Hosmer, and Jennings that it would be a shame to drop one and then have that guy turn into the next star player. Is there a guarantee that any of them pan out? No, but the potential for becoming elite is there. And with the poster being able to keep them for 4 years, I would be willing to lose Wainwright (who is not 100% risk free) for that payoff. And based on his league settings (an extra CI and MI), I feel that Lawrie and Hosmer are must keeps.

And then the poster said he also had two 1st round picks. Most likely, more hitters are going to be kept and there will be better SP options in the first few rounds of the draft. So at the very least, he could draft some quality SP right out of the gate (maybe even Wainwright). If Lawrie, Hosmer, or Jennings don't break out, and he wants to cut ties, he can trade them at the deadline as they will retain value to non-contenders or rebuilders. But if Wainwright has a setback, he retains minimal value.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Surfs up » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm glad I don't have to decide any time soon on my keepers. I read one reply and I agree. I read another and I go against the one I just read and agree with that one.Everybody is making great points.
Just to clarify. I do have two FIRST round picks. One of them could be the FIRST overall pick and at worse it could be the THIRD overall pick. We do a lottery for the first three picks. My other pick is the SIXTH overall pick. Just a reminder of the players I know for sure that will be in the draft .
One of the other owners has told me if he gets the First overall pick he's going to throw Justin Upton back and redraft him with the first overall pick. He has one year left to be kept. That would leave Votto,Longoria and Cliff Lee wide open.
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the confusion. I mean help. LOL!
Votto
Longoria
Wright
Cliff Lee
Pedroia
Youkilis
Matt Cain
Josh Johnson
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)