Need Advice with Keepers WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Need Advice with Keepers WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need Advice with Keepers WHIR

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:24 pm

Hello,

5x5 H2H Yahoo League. We use Standard positions except we use LF/CF/RF (not 3 OF) plus 2 OF spots, a MI, and a CI. 5 SP and 5 RP.

I will NOT be in contention next year (very slim chance), so I am looking ahead to 2013/2014.

Need to narrow my keeper list down to 12 guys-

Definite Keepers-

1) Tulo SS
2) Dustin 2B
3) C Santana C (hate to keep a C, but I feel Santana has the most upside of all catchers in a long time)
4) C Kershaw SP
5) A Jones CF
6) Z Greinke SP

The other 6 spots aren't as cut and dry, and I have a few candidates:

Paul Konerko 1B (should be the best available 1B next year, has some trade value)
Adam Lind 1B
Neil Walker 2B
Carl Crawford LF (figure I should keep him as well)
BJ Upton CF
Ichiro RF
Matt Latos SP
Dan Hudson SP
Matt Cain SP (again, high value and can trade him)

So far I am leaning towards Konerko, Crawford, Cain, Latos, Upton, and Hudson (I like his age and upside, but the dramatic IP spike scares me, and I already plan on keeping Kershaw, Greinke, Latos, Cain; would a 5th SP be overkill).

All thoughts and suggestions are HIGHLY appreciated.

WHIR 100% (to the best of my ability) ;-D
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need Advice with Keepers WHIR

Postby fast dogs » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:39 am

your team and chances look allright to me. 1 less SP & 1 more big bat wouldn't have hurt anything; guess I don't know how many teams in the league. Santana is a must keep, especially on your pitching heavy roster; which your choices are pretty close to being what I'd end up with as a starting point. Draft hitters early and often and I think you can compete next year. You have a 1st rounder in Tulo, a couple 2nd rounders in Pedroia & Kershaw; a former 2nd rounder in Crawford who should be better next year... so you are ok at the top of your keepers which teams playing for the future usually don't have. I didn't really help you much with your question on keepers, but other than looking at Lind maybe not sure what better choices you have.I don't think its as grim as you are looking at for competing next year; maybe package Konerko and a SP for a younger hitter and have a good draft and see what happens
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:30 am

1) Tulo SS
2) Dustin 2B
3) C Santana C
4) C Kershaw SP
5) A Jones CF
6) Z Greinke SP
Paul Konerko 1B
Carl Crawford LF
BJ Upton CF
Matt Latos SP
Dan Hudson SP
Matt Cain SP

Actually not a bad top 12. A little pitching heavy, but that may not be a bad thing in a H2H league. In fact, if you can hit on some decent bats early in the redraft next year, it would not surprise me if you made a run at the title next year. Your SP and speed are solid already, so if you can find some power, this team just might contend.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Crawford, Cain, Latos, Upton, Hudson. The final spot I could see arguments for a few guys, but I'd probably go with Lind if you really think you're playing for 2013/14. I think you've got decent keepers... how many teams in the league? If it's 10, you're probably right, but even for a 12 teamer this isn't bad. If this is a 14+ team league you're doing just fine.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:21 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:1) Tulo SS
2) Dustin 2B
3) C Santana C
4) C Kershaw SP
5) A Jones CF
6) Z Greinke SP
Paul Konerko 1B
Carl Crawford LF
BJ Upton CF
Matt Latos SP
Dan Hudson SP
Matt Cain SP

Actually not a bad top 12. A little pitching heavy, but that may not be a bad thing in a H2H league. In fact, if you can hit on some decent bats early in the redraft next year, it would not surprise me if you made a run at the title next year. Your SP and speed are solid already, so if you can find some power, this team just might contend.

;-D Agreed. Your team looks pretty good and wouldn't be surprised if you could make a run next year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:27 am

Thank you all for the input. Sorry, forgot to mention it is a 12 team league.

I agree with you guys that if I was able to draft some bats early, I could contend. Problem is, I am lacking in picks in the first 8 rounds of the draft (I have a 3rd and 5th rounder only). So the odds of me competing are slim, unless I forgo power completely, draft all speed, and pray my pitchers hold up.

I guess my questions now are:

Does Lind hold good value in 2-3 years? Will TOR offense be peak in a year or two?
Should I keep Konerko due to his trade value? I could package him for a younger 1B/3B, say Hosmer or Lawrie.

I'm going to toss back Ichiro and Walker. I'm definitely going to add Latos, Crawford, and Cain (for 9).

That leaves Konerko, Lind, Hudson, and BJ Upton for 3 spots. Who gets the cut?
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MaudDib » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Hudson for sure. After that, throw a dart. All three have things going for them and things going against them. Upton is actually pretty nice, a 20/40 guy is very nice to have except for that BA which I am not convinced that it will get better. Thing is that he just now hitting his peak and we could see his best numbers over the next couple years. Also worth looking to see where he might get traded to. Konerko's problem is that he is well past the wrong side of 30 and his numbers will go down at some point. Not sure I would want to gamble on another good year from him but maybe he has a year or two left in him. Lind is last of the bunch IMO, he gives some decent numbers but nothing great in any area. A solid hitter but I don't think we see his 2009 season again but I think he can be counted on to give something similar to this year.

If it was me, I would probably keep Upton even though I hate how inconsistent he can be. That BA drives me crazy but in the end he gives you solid HR numbers with a good amount of speed. Plus he is just entering his peak years, which means he has a better chance of matching or improving on this years numbers.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby fast dogs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:08 pm

"Should I keep Konerko due to his trade value? I could package him for a younger 1B/3B, say Hosmer or Lawrie"
Not sure if you can pull this off but if you can I certainly would.
As long as BJ doesn't go to Wash or Pitt I think he's included. Hudson stays either way. Lind could be ok if BJ gets traded to a lesser offensive team. Thats a lot of picks to lose, certainly will make it tougher
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:22 pm

So I have decided to cut ties with Lind, making my final 12:

1) Tulo SS
2) Dustin 2B
3) C Santana C
4) C Kershaw SP
5) A Jones CF
6) Z Greinke SP
7) P Konerko 1B
8) C Crawford LF
9) BJ Upton CF
10) M Latos SP
11) D Hudson SP
12) M Cain SP

I am now going to need to cut this list down to 8 by the start of the draft (March 1st). I have an offer for a 3 way deal from 2 other teams.

I give up- Konerko 1B, Crawford LF, Z Greinke SP, D Hudson SP, M Cain SP, BJ Upton, 5th round pick 2011
I get- Hosmer 1B, M Pineda SP, and numerous draft picks (2nd, 4th, 5th round in 2013, and 1st, 2nd, 2nd round in 2014)

This would narrow my keeper list down to:

1) Tulo SS
2) Dustin 2B
3) C Santana C
4) C Kershaw SP
5) A Jones CF
6) M Pineda SP
7) E Hosmer 1B
8) M Latos SP

This would cede the 2011 season and cost me 6 guys for Homser/Pineda, where I feel Crawford/Greinke may already be better. Good deal?
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cream » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:10 am

Already giving up on next year? That's no good. I'd try to move a pitcher for a bat. In fact, I think I know a guy who might have interest in that kind of a deal ;-)
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions