Adding people to a keeper league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Adding people to a keeper league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Adding people to a keeper league?

Postby JonGrudenRocks » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:22 pm

so here's the problem: we started a ten team keeper league (only 10 players) this last season, but two of the teams dropped out so midway through the season we redrafted their players. so there are two teams that are just blank. now i got two people to do it for next year. the problem is their teams would be a lot worse than the teams with some keepers. so i want to know a way where i could still keep the aspects of the keepers from last year, but make the two new teams fair and competitive with the other teams. any suggestions?
JonGrudenRocks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Adding people to a keeper league?

Postby fast dogs » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:42 pm

What you have to do is have a draft of the 8 teams players. Allow the 8 teams to pick 2 keepers that can't be taken. Then the 2 new teams pick 3 players each with no more than 1 player taken from any 1 team. Then the teams freeze 2 more players and you do the draft again. Something along those lines until the 2 new teams have the same # of players as the others.
Depending on what site you use you might be able to allow the 2 new teams to have the first draft picks the first few rounds as well. Maybe be able to trade a draft pick for a better keeper. You should be able to do something along these lines to allow the 2 new teams to at least have a decent shot at competing. The more you do to help the new teams the better
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 319)

Postby converge241 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:33 pm

Definetly have some type of expansion draft where the remaining owners can protect most/some of their players, but some would be exposed to the "new" owners. Have it so the existing owners cant be pinged more than once (either by one or both teams) so the pilaging gets spread around. They should be wedged into the mix for high drafting as well to help along them getting up to speed. Cant outright give them "everything" have to reward those who have been around longer, but have to give them some help.

Knowing how many you keep might help with folks throwing out ideas, previous posted had some good ideas as well!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby bigmck » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:57 pm

Just a note for the future, don't do a mid-season draft of vacant teams. This has made your problem a lot harder. == Having an expansion draft with the ideas outlined above is the way to go. Here is what I would do. If you are keeping 8 players on each team for 2012, allow each of the old teams to protect 50% of that or 4 in this example. Only allow one player to be picked from each old team by the new owners. This will give the new Owners four players each. == In the second round of the expansion draft allow the old teams to double their protected players (8 in my example). Again only allow each team to lose one player. This will give the new owners 8 players and the old owners will only lose two players each. This should give the new teams four players that would have been keepers by the old teams and 4 pretty good players. They should be competitive next year with a good draft.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Return to Commissioner's Corner