Give 5th pick for Castro???..........WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Give 5th pick for Castro???..........WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Give 5th pick for Castro???..........WHIR

Postby jonboycubs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:59 pm

I am in a 16 team league with 30 man rosters and 4 keepers. Right now my keepers stand at Halladay, Ian Kennedy, Granderson. My fourth option can be either BJ Upton or Brandon Phillips. I have even considered Micheal Young, Mike Morse, Kuroda, Marcum or Gio. What I would really like to do is get my hands on Starlin Castro which I can do with my early 5th round pick. Then I would keep him, Halladay, Grandy, and Kennedy and try and trade Phillips and Upton for a couple of picks or what not. So my main question is would you give up a fifth rounder for a young good SS, Starlin Castro. I am kind of bias as I am a huge Cubs fan.

These are my picks as of right now:

Round 1-4 Keeper Rounds all though I still have a 4th round pick as it was traded to me

So I got

1 pick in round 4
2 picks in round 5 and 6
1 pick in round 7
2 picks in round 8
No picks in round 9-10
1 pick in round 11
No picks in rounds 12-13
1 pick in round 14
No picks in round 15-16
1 pick in round 17-20
No pick in round 21
1 pick in round 22
2 picks in round 23
3 picks in round 24
1 pick in rounds 25-30
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1094)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Give 5th pick for Castro???..........WHIR

Postby fast dogs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:25 pm

So you'd be giving up a top 75-80 pick, then picking at the end of the draft with that pick? Thats too much to upgrade to Castro from Phillips or Young. Now if you'd lose your 5th pick and getting his 6th or 7th it might be ok
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 304)

Postby jonboycubs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Im not sure what pick I would be getting back yet but I am tempted to do it even if the pick I get back is a 30th. I am sure it will be late teens though, but if it was not I see it as an investment in a young great SS, and we all know that position is not stacked with top guys. Plus I aint gonna lie I want him to cause hes a Cubbie, but not just cause of that, hes good to and only 21. I can keep Phillips or Upton but dont really want to, would rather see if I can get a pick back with them that I may not get back with this Castro trade. Otherwise they just drop back into the pile. So it may be a mistake but not a huge one. I really want him and I know thats a big fantasy rule, just cause you like a guy does not mean he is going to help you win the championship. Still though I dont think its a unfixable mistake even if it one, if its even a mistake at all. Not like he a scrub. I feel like I am trying to talk myself into it to and telling myself the reasons why I should do it. Guess I need yall to be the voice of reason.
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby fast dogs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:36 pm

So your way after 6 picks would be:
Halladay
Granderson
Kennedy
Castro
"empty"
your 6th pick
or the other way would be:
Halladay
Granderson
Kennedy
Phillips or Young
"the 75th best player in baseball"
your 6th pick
I just think thats overpaying for Castro and you'd be better off to try trading for him after the draft
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jonboycubs » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Not quite sure I am reading what you posted right, so it confused me a little, but if I do understand it would be

Round
1.Grandy
2.Halladay
3.Kennedy
4.Phillips, Upton, Young, or possibly Castre
5. Would not be empty because I have 2 fifth round picks
6. I have two of them also
8.Which I have two of also, and so on

If I had only one 5th rounder I would not be considering it
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby fast dogs » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:35 pm

I was just trying to compare your 2 starting points; instead of empty you could put Asdrubal or Gardner or Bumgarner or someone similiar in that 70-80 spot. I just think thats so much better starting point then what its going to be with Castro there and no 5th round pick right away.Sure you'll get those picks later and fill in the spots, but you'll get them anyway.
I do like Castro better than who you'd get now, but losing the next round for him seems too much if the pick you get back is in the teens
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jonboycubs » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:06 pm

I have Gardner on my roster just never thought of him as a keeper even though I know he is good, very good. If i traded the 5th pick the other 5th pick I have is where it would normally be in that round as I am a late pick in odd rounds. And the fourth pick I have essentially gives me 5 keepers since I get to pick before others and still get to keep 4. And what would be empty, sorry for my not seeing this, I am probably not reading right and I apoligize. I would not even have this 5th round pick had I not traded a guy I was not going to keep, so it is essentially a freebie, I would not have had it anyway, and thank you for your advice
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:53 pm

I would rather have Upton and two 5th round picks then Castro and one 5th round pick. Heck if Castro is not kept, you have a chance to grab him with your 4th round pick anyways.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jonboycubs » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:34 pm

well he is going to keep one and trade one so he will not be in draft, and i tried all year to get him in a trade so this is my chance and I am not going to be kicking myself because I did not take my chance, I mean I want him so go after the guys you want right. The pick I will get back will be a 12th round, maybe earlier but no later, I am happy with that to be honest
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:12 pm

I wouldn't give up any pick inside the top 100 for Castro. That .345 BABIP last season that drove his BA along with lackluster power and non-elite SB numbers is too scary for me.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions