Dynasty Lg: top 10 you'd overpay for in trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Dynasty Lg: top 10 you'd overpay for in trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty Lg: top 10 you'd overpay for in trade?

Postby SAV » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:18 pm

If you had no realistic shot to win in 2012 in a Dynasty, who are your top 10 you'd ovepay to get via trade for 2013 and beyond?
Thank you!
SAV

“You win pennants in the off season when you build your teams with trades and free agents.” –Earl Weaver
SAV
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty Lg: top 10 you'd overpay for in trade?

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Of course I would want the young studs such as Longoria or Braun or Kemp, but if you are looking a bit further, I would probably be shooting for Desmond Jennings, Mike Moustakas, Mike Stanton, Eric Hosmer, and Brett Lawrie. These 5 guys will cost you quite a bit to get, but should be well worth it in the long run.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MaudDib » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:25 pm

I am going to assume you are looking for young talent that is still somewhat cheap. Kemp and Justin Upton, while great keepers in a Dynasty league would cost a fortune to get and usually teams with not chance to compete have the talent to make that kind of trade.

Here is a list off the top of my head:

Hosmer
Lawrie
Heyward
Stanton
Gio
Matt Moore
Starlin Castro
Jesus Montero
Jennings
Strasburg
Latos
Moustakas

Some of these guys will be hard to get. Some of these guys like Heyward, have a ton of talent and very well could turn things around. They might be a little cheaper as their prospect status has worn off.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby BEN2074X » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:32 pm

if your looking 2013 to hit the ground running and can dream. J Upton, Mcutcheon are both names on the wish list for long term awesome.

as with all the other names listed in the other post....if your looking a littler further Mike Trout and Bryce Harper would be 2 to dream on for the next 15 years or so......
BEN2074X
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SAV » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:21 pm

MaudDib wrote:I am going to assume you are looking for young talent that is still somewhat cheap ... Here is a list off the top of my head:

Hosmer, Lawrie, Heyward, Stanton, Starlin Castro, Jesus Montero, Jennings, Moustakas

Gio, Matt Moore, Strasburg, Latos

Moustakas keeps cropping up, despite several Royals' prospects that have failed to deliver in the past. What do you guys project for him in 2012 and then beyond?
Thank you!
SAV

“You win pennants in the off season when you build your teams with trades and free agents.” –Earl Weaver
SAV
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Bumgarner
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:47 pm

SAV wrote:
MaudDib wrote:I am going to assume you are looking for young talent that is still somewhat cheap ... Here is a list off the top of my head:

Hosmer, Lawrie, Heyward, Stanton, Starlin Castro, Jesus Montero, Jennings, Moustakas

Gio, Matt Moore, Strasburg, Latos

Moustakas keeps cropping up, despite several Royals' prospects that have failed to deliver in the past. What do you guys project for him in 2012 and then beyond?

I honestly don't know. I almost left him off the list because I am not that sold on him. He had a nicer last few months than I was expecting to see but I still think he will strike out too often and his BA will be below .280. But in the end I decided, if I was looking to build a team for the future, I would at least look at him. When you are building a team like this, I believe that you need to throw as many darts as you can and hope you hit on about 50% of them. Keep doing that and you will have a pretty dominate team in a few years.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby pjalst » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:37 pm

In my keeper league I have Votto and J Upton. I am constanly getting trade offers for them.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 65)

Postby bayside » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Ill arbitrarily keep my list to players who will be 26 or under on Opening Day 2012.
This ensure that every player listed will be still be at their physical peak (if not approaching it) when ready to compete.
these are all guys who I would pay more than fair market value for, but only if I had no chance to compete in 2012.
im also assuming you plan to try to compete by 2013 and wouldn't just tank that season too.
Im sure im forgetting a few guys but off the top of my head:

Hitters:
1. Cargo
2. J Upton
3. Longoria
4. Lawrie
5. Stanton
6. Hosmer
7. Castro
8. Trout
9. Harper
10. Jennings

Pitchers:
1. Kershaw
2. Bumgarner
3. Strasburg
4. Moore
5. Price
6. Pineda

Overall I would rank them:
1. Cargo
2. Upton
3. Longoria
4. Kershaw
5. Bumgarner
6. Lawrie
7. Strasburg
8. Stanton
9. Hosmer
10. Castro
11. Moore
12. Price
13. Pineda
14. Trout
15. Harper
16. Jennings
(I would trade any player on this list for any player above him in a 1 for 1, given the circumstances listed above)

*There are some guys I didnt list because I would not "over" pay for them under any circumstance for various reasons - for example guys like Montero for lack of position. Other guys are not listed (that i would target before those that i did include) because their perceived trade value is much lower than guys on my list - Beachy over Pineda comes to mind .
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:10 am

Long term I'd always recommend bats:
- Braun, Stanton, Tulowitzki, Cano are likely the best bets for the next half decade (positional adjustment included).
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions