Wainwright offered - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Wainwright offered

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Wainwright offered

Postby Surfs up » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 am

I am looking at Lee with my 1st pick. It might be 1 and it might be 3 . You would still take Lee if its the # 1 pick over Votto ? We hit 15 and pitch 10. We use normal infielders but we also have two CI, two MI two UT players. I might be able to package my 6th overall pick with a player or two I don't plan on keeping and try to get the 4th overall pick.
Would you make the Moore for wainwright trade and see how things play out? We can keep up to nine players until mid March. That gives me two weeks of ST games to see if Wainwright is healthy.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 273)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mkultra » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:21 am

If you trade for a player, are you required to keep him? If your league technically allows it, a legal (though somewhat weaselly) move would be to trade Moore for Wainwright, then "decide" not keep him. He should still be there at #6.

I'd take Lee #1 among those players given your situation, hands down.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 52)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:30 am

We are not required to keep any players until we turn in our protected list of six players. I think thats March 18th. So you would make the trade of Moore for wainwright ? And then drop him and pick him up over Cain ( if healthy of course ) and any other others including Josh Johnson with the sixth pick?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fast dogs » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 pm

I would make the trade for Wainwright; he tried to talk his way on to the World Series roster so the bullpen sessions must be going well. Like Trout, Young is a fun guy to try to take to next years roster, but you've got better choices right now. I'm still not sure which 6 will be best to lock in and which 2 you'll draft; but this looks to be the way to proceed unless you can trade Moore for a different draft pick a little bit later. Cain or Wainwright are pretty close to interchangeable and I want either before Johnson
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 340)

Postby BEN2074X » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:06 pm

if this is a Keep forever league no contracts you imo you should be Keeping Hosmer, Lawrie, Bautista, Hanley, Miggy, Jennings
and draft 2 pitchers. You have 3 allstars now and the 3 young guys should be allstars in the next 2-3 years.......
BEN2074X
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MaudDib » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 pm

BEN2074X wrote:if this is a Keep forever league no contracts you imo you should be Keeping Hosmer, Lawrie, Bautista, Hanley, Miggy, Jennings
and draft 2 pitchers. You have 3 allstars now and the 3 young guys should be allstars in the next 2-3 years.......

Those three players SHOULD be all-stars in 2-3 YEARS. Where as Wainwright still has 2-3 years of all-star caliber pitching left in him. I would rather keep 2 of the young players and Wainwright then risk it all keeping the three young hitters.

These guys very well could do what Heyward did last year. He would have been on this list as a future stud only to put up a really bad year and might not even be a keeper in this kind of league. It usually takes time for players to hit their peak, so if you skip on Wainwright be prepared to live through the ups and downs. And even then odds are pretty good that only 1 or 2 of these guys will be worth owning. More guys don't meet expectations than do so again take the guy that has already proven to be an All-Star over the guys that are projected to be ones.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby Surfs up » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:14 am

All of the players I mentioned can be kept three more year except Bautista and Hanley. They have two more years.After a player is drafted he can be protected an additional three years . NO EXTENTIONS I have been offered the FOURTH overall pick for Bautista. If I made that trade I could keep one of the young players and I would have either the 1-3 pick , the fourth overall and the sixth overall picks. What ever player I draft will be on my team two years after Bautista is gone.
A reminder of the players avalible in the draft. Votto, Longoria,Wright, Pedroia, Youkilis, Matt Cain,Josh Johnson, Jay Bruce .
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:03 pm

I would hang onto Bautista. It would be tempting if you could land Longoria or Votto for the next 4 years, but I don't see how they last til pick 4.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Surfs up » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:53 pm

I have two top six picks already. I will have either the 1-2-3 pick depending on the lottery. That should happen soon. I could take either Longoria or Votto if I get 1-2 and gamble Lee will be there at 4 .
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions