Wainwright offered - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Wainwright offered

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wainwright offered

Postby Surfs up » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:57 pm

I've been offered Adam Wainwright for Matt Moore straight up in my 12 team mixed 5x5 keeper. We only keep six players so I was planning on either trying to trade for top 10 pitcher, go with six hitters and draft a couple of top starters or keep either Beachy , Moore or Worley and go with five hitters. Thoughts?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wainwright offered

Postby onitapgr » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:16 pm

I like Wainwright over more.....but I don't like any of them as a keeper in a 6-keeper league. I would go 6 hitters
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:34 pm

I'm not sure what the use of this trade would be when you can only keep six, but at any rate, I'd go with Wainwright for next season. Moore might have better immediate value though, if a manager is very high on him.

Unless one team is really in dire shape with his keeper selection, I can't imagine either Moore or Wainwright being sufficient trade bait.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby CyboNinja » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:57 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Unless one team is really in dire shape with his keeper selection, I can't imagine either Moore or Wainwright being sufficient trade bait.
I agree. Your best bet would be to try to do a 2 for 1 (trading Moore or Wainwright + 1 hitter) and try to upgrade one of you hitters. See if the dude interested in Moore would part with a hitter for him.
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 135)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:43 pm

I'm an upside junkie, so I'd be tempted to take Moore here. However with only 6 keepers that's a risky play. If you're keeping a pitcher with that few keepers is has to be a slam dunk on the level of Kershaw or Verlander. Swinging some kind of Moore + whatever for a hitting upgrade would be great except it's hard to pull off these kinds of trades in competitive leagues.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 66)

Postby fast dogs » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:09 am

you mentioned keeping 6 hitters if you didn't go with Wain or Moore, but who is the 6th hitter? Really neither Wain or Moore is an optimal top 72 player; if you have a sure fire hitter that IS a top 70 player that could be the way to go. If there isn't a 6th hitter I prefer Wain over the guy toiling in the AL East
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Postby converge241 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:36 am

people love Moore so much I think you could shop him for a decent 6th hitter upgrade to make a solid hitting 6 and then just draft your pitching

viewtopic.php?t=437220
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 am

Well as it stands right now my top 10 players are Jennings, Lawrie, Hosmer, Kipnis, Bautista, Miggy, Hanley , Worley, Moore and Beachy.We can only keep six. Plus I have two first rd picks in the 2012 draft. I will have either the 1-2-3 overall pick . We have a lottery for those picks. I made a trade to get that pick. The drawing hasn't happened yet. I will also have the sixth overall pick.
This years draft includes Votto, Longoria, Pedroia, Youkilis,David Wright, Bruce, Cliff Lee, Matt Cain and Josh Johnson. The draft drops off for top players after these guys.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby mkultra » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:53 am

Toss all your pitchers back.

Cliff Lee's your target pick, IMO. You've got better 1B/3B options as it stands, and he's a clear top 5 SP in any league. You might be reaching for him with your first pick, but I would not want to risk him not being there at #6. Grabbing Cain at 6 gives you a great #1/#2 on top of your excellent keepers.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:54 am

You have to keep Wainwright. I am not sure why people don't see him as a top 72 player. Tommy John surgery is a pretty structured surgery now and most players have come back at almost full strength. Wainwright will even have the entire off-season to get his body back into playing shape.

He has been a top 5 SP for the past two seasons before surgery and I would expect nothing to change. There is a little bit of risk involved in keeping him but there is more risk in keeping Lawrie, Hosmer or Jennings. All three guys are very nice young talents but I wouldn't expect these guys to be better than Wainwright for next year. I like these guys a lot but they will still have some growing pains and would rather have a more proven guy.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions