Who to keep?trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who to keep?trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who to keep?trade?

Postby nolesox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:33 pm

nolesox wrote:16 team points league, keep 9 w/ a 4 man farm, Start C,1B,2B,3B,SS,3 OF,2 DH(any hitter), 4 SP and 2 RP. I have several guys I would like to keep that I don't have room for. Assuming I can't make a deal which is really tough to do in this league havn't even been able to get a mid-round pick in the past for guys that are being taken in the 1rst round(last year had 3 guys go in the first 10 picks that I shopped and couldn't get a better offer than a 7th round pick) Who would you keep of the guys listed? also there is a team that lacks keepers that seems somewhat interested in dealing he has Tex,Hanley,Zobrist and Victorino and not much else (next best guys I guess would be Y Molina? Soria?Swisher?G Floyd?Lohse?) He basically has told me to send him my best offer and I would like opinion on what sort of offer you guys would make? This may be my only shot at getting a deal done. My first thought is offer Kennedy,Rollins,Howard,Morse and Haren for Tex and Hanley? but not sure what to do.All opinions would be appreciated and of course WHIR. Anyways below is my keeper options w/ their points scored this season.

1B Howard 792(K's don't lose points)
2B Pedroia 963
3B Zimmerman 510
SS Rollins 714
C B Posey 197
OF D Young 551
OF B Gardner 721
OF/1B M Morse 787
OF M Holliday 703
OF M Kemp 1085
SP Z Greinke 699
SP Haren 818
SP Kennedy 940
SP Hamels 753
Cl Papelbon 595
Cl Walden 587
My farm is:
1B K Morales (we can keep anyone w/ less than 100 games played in previous 2 years SP 4 games/start and RP 4 games/apperance)
Cl Nathan (grandfathered read above)
SS J Profar
SP M Perez

UPDATE:
Since I posted this the 4 sale team in that league was bought and things loosened up quite a bit. I have made 4 deals now and am curious as to how you guys think I did. The first deal I made was trading Haren,Greinke,Morse, Papelbon and M Perez(farm) for Stanton(grandfathered on the farm),Cahill and Boesch. Cahill and Boesch were nothing but throw ins, but adding a guy like Stanton that I can keep on the farm I thought was huge. The guy I got him from basically had Bautista and Stanton and no other top 150 players to keep so I think it worked well for both sides. My second deal was w/ the "New Guy" I traded Pedroia,Kennedy,Gardner and my 3rd(48th overall) for McCutchen,Felix, the 1rst overall pick and the first pick in the 2nd(17th overall). That deal was a calculated risk. I knew the guy that had Kinsler wanted Holliday and there is another team that has both Uggla and N Walker and noone in his OF. I hated giving up Pedroia though. I then for my 3rd deal flipped McCutchen for Ellsbury. Ellsbury outscored Cutch by 200 points. While I don't necissarily believe in Ells power if he can just hit 15-20 and go back to stealing 50-60 bases a year I think I win even if Cutch does eventually realize his immense potential. Finally my 4th deal I traded Holliday and the 17th overall pick for Kinsler and a 5th. So my keepers have ended up as this
Posey
Howard
Kinsler
Rollins
Zimmerman
Kemp
Ellsbury
Felix
Hamels
with a farm of:
Nathan
Morales
Profar
Stanton
What do you guys think?? did I do well or did I just add risk to an already risky team? I tried to get as much value as I could for the guys I couldn't keep. Also a few of the guys I think will be available w/ that 1rst overall pick are Cespedes,Belt,D Hudson,Wainwright,I Davis,Bumgarner,Kimbrel, J Zimmerman,Bonaficio,Avila,Pineda,Goldschmidt,Lind and T Hanson not sure if all of those guys will be available but I think they are all probable. How would you rank those guys in accordance w/ my needs?? thanks again for the help and look forward to any further advice you guys can add on who to take w/ that first pick. WHIR
nolesox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:33 pm

nolesox wrote:I tend to always err on the side of the bat and am kinda leaning towards Howard, Pedroia, Rollins, Zimm, Kemp, Holliday, Morse, Posey and Hamels. agree/disagree??

My farm is: 1B K Morales, Cl Nathan, SS J Profar, SP M Perez

Ok, so I am assuming these are your keepers prior to making these deals. personally would have held onto- Pedroia, Rollins, Zimmerman, M Kemp, M Holliday, B Posey, Z Greinke, Kennedy, Hamels. So really the only difference would have been Greinke + Kennedy over Howard and Morse (one is injured, one is going to regress IMO). That said-

I have made 4 deals now and am curious as to how you guys think I did.

The first deal I made was trading Haren,Greinke,Morse, Papelbon and M Perez(farm) for Stanton(grandfathered on the farm),Cahill and Boesch. Cahill and Boesch were nothing but throw ins, but adding a guy like Stanton that I can keep on the farm I thought was huge.

Considering you weren't planning on keeping Greinke, I think this deal is good for you. You lost Morse (who I think will flop in 2012) and added Stanton to your farm. So this opens up a keeper spot for you and boosts your farm tremendously.

My second deal was w/ the "New Guy" I traded Pedroia,Kennedy,Gardner and my 3rd(48th overall) for McCutchen,Felix, the 1rst overall pick and the first pick in the 2nd(17th overall).

Again, this deal is good for you since you traded one Keeper (Pedroia) for two keepers (McCutchen and Felix). The draft picks are excellent as well. So good job again.

I then for my 3rd deal flipped McCutchen for Ellsbury.

Not bad. For the reasons you said. I think you made out in this deal too. Not as much as the last deals though.

Finally my 4th deal I traded Holliday and the 17th overall pick for Kinsler and a 5th.

I'm sort of neutral on this trade. I like Holliday and I don't like Kinsler as much, but given your roster and depth at OF, the deal makes sense for your team.

So my keepers have ended up as this
Posey
Howard
Kinsler
Rollins
Zimmerman
Kemp
Ellsbury
Felix
Hamels
with a farm of:
Nathan
Morales
Profar
Stanton

So in reality, you lost Morse, Dustin, and Holliday, and a 3rd round pick for Ian Kinsler, Felix Hernandez, Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Stanton (on your farm), the 1st overall pick, and a 5th round pick. Yeah, that looks pretty good to me. Pretty damn good.

I would take the best available player with the first overall pick. I wouldn't pick a guy based on positional needs. Though in a league that only uses 2 RP, Kimbrel looks very nice. But pick the best guy regardless of position.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nolesox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks for digging into each one. That is exactly the type of input I was hoping to receive.
nolesox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions