Who to keep?trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who to keep?trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who to keep?trade?

Postby nolesox » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:16 am

16 team points league, keep 9 w/ a 4 man farm, Start C,1B,2B,3B,SS,3 OF,2 DH(any hitter), 4 SP and 2 RP. I have several guys I would like to keep that I don't have room for. Assuming I can't make a deal which is really tough to do in this league havn't even been able to get a mid-round pick in the past for guys that are being taken in the 1rst round(last year had 3 guys go in the first 10 picks that I shopped and couldn't get a better offer than a 7th round pick) Who would you keep of the guys listed? also there is a team that lacks keepers that seems somewhat interested in dealing he has Tex,Hanley,Zobrist and Victorino and not much else (next best guys I guess would be Y Molina? Soria?Swisher?G Floyd?Lohse?) He basically has told me to send him my best offer and I would like opinion on what sort of offer you guys would make? This may be my only shot at getting a deal done. My first thought is offer Kennedy,Rollins,Howard,Morse and Haren for Tex and Hanley? but not sure what to do.All opinions would be appreciated and of course WHIR. Anyways below is my keeper options w/ their points scored this season.

1B Howard 792(K's don't lose points)
2B Pedroia 963
3B Zimmerman 510
SS Rollins 714
C B Posey 197
OF D Young 551
OF B Gardner 721
OF/1B M Morse 787
OF M Holliday 703
OF M Kemp 1085
SP Z Greinke 699
SP Haren 818
SP Kennedy 940
SP Hamels 753
Cl Papelbon 595
Cl Walden 587
My farm is:
1B K Morales (we can keep anyone w/ less than 100 games played in previous 2 years SP 4 games/start and RP 4 games/apperance)
Cl Nathan
SS J Profar
SP M Perez
nolesox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who to keep?trade?

Postby fast dogs » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:52 am

First of all I would not try for his best 2 players, its always tough for a guy to trade his stud(s), both of them would seem to lessen your chances for getting something done and perhaps scare him away. I also wouldn't try to trade Howard right now unless he asks for him. Most managers don't want to trade for risk or uncertainty; again if he's not gung ho about making deals in the first place trade him healthy productive players he can feel good about. I'd try to make Hanley the centerpiece of your deal, drastically improve your bottom keeper while giving him numbers to round out his team.Maybe try 2 sets of deals 1 with and 1 w/o Howard, you should still be able to offer up good packages with you adding a star and giving him some near stars. Rollins,his 2 choices of 2-3 SP you'd list and Posey or Gardner and you both make out great in the deal. Make a sweet #'s deal for him w/o hurting your core or you risk putting too many of these back into the draft with nothing to show for them by asking for too much. Maybe even swap his 2nd rounder for your 3rd rounder if you want to get a little greedier; theres certainly a chance for both of you to come out of this ahead
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 340)

Postby nolesox » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:16 am

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of just that. Asking for his 2 best players definatley would seem to be a turn off. Hanley alone may be a more feasible way to get something done.
nolesox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:31 am

nolesox wrote:Thanks. That's what I was afraid of just that. Asking for his 2 best players definatley would seem to be a turn off. Hanley alone may be a more feasible way to get something done.

I would shoot for Hanley. Maybe a offer of Rollins, Posey, and Kennedy gets it done.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nolesox » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:28 am

Thanks for the input I offered him Rollins,Posey and any of my SP for Hanley and a 5th rnd pick and his actually LOL'd me and countered w/ Pedroia and Kemp for Hanley. So needless to say looks like I just need to focus on which 9 of my guys to keep. Any input would be appreciated. I tend to always err on the side of the bat and am kinda leaning towards Howard,Pedroia,Rollins,Zimm,Kemp,Holliday,Morse,Posey and Hamels. agree/disagree?? TIA ( I have a feeling a lot of people will say throw back Rollins but I would have a hard time getting another SS in the draft I think even the marginal ones like Yunel and Peralta were kept last year and I won the league so I pick 16th so any chance of getting him or any decent SS back is slim)
nolesox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:59 am

Hard to argue with the 9 you are thinking, but I'd likely be a little more risky. First off, I do want to mention that your thinking on Rollins is spot on. SS's in deep leagues must be kept. Now, if you want a chance on increasing your playoff aspirations, I think you really should consider throwing Howard back into the pool. Having researched these injuries in depth amongst basketball players (Elton Brand) I'm definitely not buying he's back anywhere close to the start of the season. Instead, I expect he'll attempt to come back more towards the start of the 2nd half, but even then, won't give you any significant production. Thus, you'd be stuck holding a below average player for the year and then have a 33 year old with obvious declining skills by an unfavorable body type for the following seasons. Naturally, you should first explore trade possibilities with teams that have marginal keepers.

What makes this move a little easier imo is that you've got Morales in the wings. Sure, he's given us nothing to be confident about the last several seasons, but I feel he's much more likely going to give you better production at the 1B slot than Howard the rest of the way. In addition, you've got several young very good to excellent arms that deserve to be kept. Currently, I'd probably suggest hanging onto Zack Greinke as your ninth over Kennedy and Haren as I project he'll have the best season out of the group.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 159)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby CyboNinja » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:18 pm

nolesox wrote:(last year had 3 guys go in the first 10 picks that I shopped and couldn't get a better offer than a 7th round pick)

The owners in your league are retarded. Sounds like they're all more worried about helping another team then they are helping themselves. I would quit that league if it were my team. That is not how FBB is supposed to be.
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 202)

Postby nolesox » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:51 pm

LOL Cybo It is crazy I enjoy trading and being active that is part of the fun of it to me. The only 2 reasons I stay in this league is my best friend and I have been in it together for years and it's part of how we stay in touch since he moved to the left coast, and 2nd I have won this league 6 out of 7 years and the money won helps pay for my other leagues that I actually enjoy.To be fair there are 5 or 6 in owners in the league that will deal in the right circumstance, but those teams like mine already have #'s like my team so it makes a trade difficult in the offseason. The fact that the poor teams all are the teams w/ owners that refuse to deal sucks. But at the end of the day I'll just keep coming back and taking their $ cause they won't help themselves. I don't send out silly offers hoping to get over on somebody I am a firm believer in a trade helping both parties. I think part of it is a reflection of me winning and those guys not wanting to make me better. But mostly a bunch of guys who either arn't willing to deal or just want to get over on someone if they do make a deal, cause they don't even make deals w/ each other a handful of owners including myself make about 95% of the deals in that league every year.
nolesox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nolesox » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Quick update: I have a guy that has responded to my post of available players. He says he would have interest in Morse,Holliday,Kennedy and Haren. The only players on his roster I would have any interest in are Bautista and Stanton(next best players are Ramos,Berkman,Fowler,J Garcia,etc...). Wondering what kind of offer I should make. He traded Bumgarner,Weiters and B Wilson for Stanton and Minor(farm) at the deadline last season. So I am thinking that at least gives me a starting point for a deal. what seems like a fair offer? my first thought is Morse and Kennedy for Stanton. What do you guys think?? TIA Stanton scored 778 last year bout the same as Morse and Kennedy was well over 900 points.
nolesox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CyboNinja » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:41 am

If his team is that bad see if he would do all 4 you mentioned for Stanton and Bats.
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 202)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions