What to watch on TV - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What to watch on TV

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What to watch on TV

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:34 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm somewhat nostalgic for 90's TV.

Anyone remember Unsolved Mysteries? That show scared the living bejeezus out of me when I was a kid.

i loved that show... that host had the eeriest voice ever... wonder if he's still alive


I'm sure Robert Stack had past away a long while ago. I used to think it was fortunate that he wasn't jumped by some ghost or homicidal maniac whenever doing the montages or openings to each segment.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: What to watch on TV

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Shows that I Tivo and/or watch regularly:
Louie
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (which is on the verge of being dropped from my lineup)
Pardon the Interruption
The Daily Show with John Stewart
Breaking Bad
Mad Men

Shows that I watch if I come across them while I'm flipping through the channels late at night while up with a ridiculous baby who will only sleep if she's being held and rocked, leading me to consider taking my state up on its Safe Surrender statute:
Ancient Aliens
What the Ancients Knew
History's Mysteries
(or just about anything similar to those three)
Bizarre Foods
No Reservations
Pawn Stars
That one that someone mentioned earlier where the two gay guys drive around ripping off old people for their belongings...I don't remember what it's called

Shows that I watch because my wife likes them and they are not quite as bad as some of the other stuff she likes so I watch them with her to keep the peace:
The Office
Parenthood

And yes, The Wire is probably my all time favorite show and Omar is, without a doubt, my favorite television character of all time.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What to watch on TV

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Yup Omar is my favorite television character too, and may very well be the best television character of all time regardless of genre.
Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFootball Mod
Posts: 5207
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living vicariously through myself.

Re: What to watch on TV

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:16 am

Watched Once Upon a Time last night and was pleasantly surprised. Looks very interesting, seems like it has a really high budget, just don't know how they can keep it going once the main storyline is resolved at the end of the season.

This makes me want to watch Grimm as well, just can't find it on On Demand.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: What to watch on TV

Postby Tavish » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 am

Started watching Mad Men (via Netflix) a few night ago. Seems pretty slow so far and probably would have benefited a ton if it was on a premium cable channel that allowed T&A and cursing.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11071
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What to watch on TV

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Watched Once Upon a Time last night and was pleasantly surprised. Looks very interesting, seems like it has a really high budget, just don't know how they can keep it going once the main storyline is resolved at the end of the season.

Agreed. It doesn't seem like something they could drag out for too long, but I really enjoyed the pilot.
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Re: What to watch on TV

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm nearly finished through Season 3 of Trailer Park Boys and it's absolutely brilliant comedy.

I've gotten around to watching all six episodes of the first An Idiot Abroad series. Think there was a thread on this some time ago. Anyway, it's about Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant sending the lovable dimwit Karl Pilkington to seeing the Seven Wonders of the World and along the way encountering awkward situations for mainly Gervais and Merchant's amusement. The second season of An Idiot Abroad is currently airing in the UK, but from what I've been told, it isn't nearly as funny as the first season although the last episode that's aired recently is by far the best this season.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: What to watch on TV

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:58 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm nearly finished through Season 3 of Trailer Park Boys and it's absolutely brilliant comedy.

I've gotten around to watching all six episodes of the first An Idiot Abroad series. Think there was a thread on this some time ago. Anyway, it's about Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant sending the lovable dimwit Karl Pilkington to seeing the Seven Wonders of the World and along the way encountering awkward situations for mainly Gervais and Merchant's amusement. The second season of An Idiot Abroad is currently airing in the UK, but from what I've been told, it isn't nearly as funny as the first season although the last episode that's aired recently is by far the best this season.



It sounds like the Rickey Gervais Show. It was an animated show of him and Merchant just making fun of their stupid friend for 30 minutes. I'm a huge Gervais/Merchant fan but this show blew chunks. It was so tiring. But this did serve to remind me that for 13 episodes Extras was the funniest thing on tv. There were so many classic moments. The time that the girl kept confusing Samuel L Jackson with Laurence Fishburn, Orlando Bloom ranting about Johnny Depp...there are just so many great moments.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: What to watch on TV

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm nearly finished through Season 3 of Trailer Park Boys and it's absolutely brilliant comedy.

I've gotten around to watching all six episodes of the first An Idiot Abroad series. Think there was a thread on this some time ago. Anyway, it's about Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant sending the lovable dimwit Karl Pilkington to seeing the Seven Wonders of the World and along the way encountering awkward situations for mainly Gervais and Merchant's amusement. The second season of An Idiot Abroad is currently airing in the UK, but from what I've been told, it isn't nearly as funny as the first season although the last episode that's aired recently is by far the best this season.



It sounds like the Rickey Gervais Show. It was an animated show of him and Merchant just making fun of their stupid friend for 30 minutes. I'm a huge Gervais/Merchant fan but this show blew chunks. It was so tiring. But this did serve to remind me that for 13 episodes Extras was the funniest thing on tv. There were so many classic moments. The time that the girl kept confusing Samuel L Jackson with Laurence Fishburn, Orlando Bloom ranting about Johnny Depp...there are just so many great moments.


The show dynamic sort of mimics those of the podcasts too, but the most interesting aspect comes from Karl's observations about the notable things he comes across on his travels.

Oh, and I loved Extras too. I prefer The Office over Extras myself, as I thought quality-wise the former was a more consistent show. For flat-out LOL moments, Extras wins.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: What to watch on TV

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:13 pm

I love the Ricky Gervais show. I first got into them through that, and then went back and found recordings of all their old radio shows where they first met Karl, and the podcasts that followed (which were turned into the animated show).

An Idiot Abroad is also amazing.

The Artful Dodger wrote:The second season of An Idiot Abroad is currently airing in the UK, but from what I've been told, it isn't nearly as funny as the first season although the last episode that's aired recently is by far the best this season.

This season has been just as good. The Alaska episode wasn't great but the rest have been on par with season 1. The last episode was probably only the third best of the season though, behind 2 and 3.
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nizhstipt and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact