What to watch on TV - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What to watch on TV

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What to watch on TV

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:12 am

wrveres wrote:Any Ancient Aliens fans out there?
I admit that a couple of their shows are way out there, the DNA one comes to mind, but overall its been a decent series.

I've watched some but it is so far out there I can't take a whole episode.

bleach168 wrote:Forgot to mention that I also watch Anthony Bourdain No Reservations.

I'll get in a mood and watch 4 or 5 in a row and then forget about it for a few months. Bourdain is very entertaining.

bigken117 wrote:The Office is the only show I have set to record.

I've given up on the office. If has been getting worst the last few seasons and after the first episode this year I made the cut.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:41 am

bigken117 wrote:The Office is the only show I have set to record.

lol, the office hasn't been good since season 3.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:27 pm

I haven't seen every single episode of the US version of The Office to give a perfect assessment, a few episodes here and there of each season. I find it as enjoyable as the original UK version of The Office for different reasons. Judging from the more recent episodes I've seen, the quality doesn't seem quite as good from the first 4 seasons.

Watching The Office (US) from start to finish is on my TV to-do list. I'm more familiar with the original Office and deem it to be superior.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:56 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Watching The Office (US) from start to finish is on my TV to-do list. I'm more familiar with the original Office and deem it to be superior.

The two shows definitely took different paths. While I liked the UK version, there were way too many times that I found myself trying hard just to decipher the accents. Its not that big of a deal for Benny Hill comedy, but certainly takes away from the type of humor The Office had.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:57 pm

On tonight: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders; Making the Team.

If you are a fan of reality or just love quality programming, pvr this gem.

Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:27 pm

Tavish wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Watching The Office (US) from start to finish is on my TV to-do list. I'm more familiar with the original Office and deem it to be superior.

The two shows definitely took different paths. While I liked the UK version, there were way too many times that I found myself trying hard just to decipher the accents. Its not that big of a deal for Benny Hill comedy, but certainly takes away from the type of humor The Office had.

Making out the accents or the pronunciation? If the latter, I usually just turn up my TV. Deciphering between the different English accents is fun but involves exposure and time to figure it out. Getting used to British colloquialisms is more of a challenge than the accents IMO, but I don't find The Office particularly challenging in that aspect either.

I don't think the accents detract from the humor, really. Then again, I'm probably more accustomed to English accents and the slang than some, but even I have trouble understanding Northeast and some Manchester/Liverpool accents.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:20 pm

The Office is terrible this season. I'll probably abandon it, which is hard to do after investing so much time with the same characters, but it's really not funny at all anymore. I still like going back and watching the first 3 seasons. I might start watching Parks & Rec again. I stopped after the first season or two since I wasn't that impressed, but have heard a lot of good things about it.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 131)

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:41 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Shows I've been watching:

Glee

I notice you're the only one.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Anybody a fan of The Wire?
Heard great things about it so I have season 1. Haven't watched it yet, someone told my wife that it would be too violent for her.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:09 pm

I've yet to watch The Wire. It's high on my watch list, but haven't gotten the chance to see it.

Skin Blues wrote:I might start watching Parks & Rec again. I stopped after the first season or two since I wasn't that impressed, but have heard a lot of good things about it.

I've heard good things as well. Aside from Modern Family and Community, I don't watch much broadcast TV, unless there are rave reviews to make it a must-watch.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk