D. Hudson or Vanimal for NL-only Keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

D. Hudson or Vanimal for NL-only Keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: D. Hudson or Vanimal for NL-only Keeper

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:46 pm

I agree with the above - keeping Gordon seems like a mistake. We don't know where Reyes and Rollins end up, so SS may not even be that thin in an NL league. If you could trade him before you have to assign keepers, that might be the best option. Otherwise, I'd throw him back and take Worley and Hudson. I don't think either will collapse.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:43 am

I disagree. Gordon for $5 is a steal. He could easily steal 40 bases in a league like this. Do you have an MI slot? even at UTIL in a 12 team NL-Only league he's a definite keeper. Esp. over Worley IMO. Gordon was worth $7 (according to baseball monster, with a 180/80 Hitter/pitcher budget split), in less than half a season.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby bayside » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Do you really want 0 HR's out of your Utility slot?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:43 pm

bayside wrote:Do you really want 0 HR's out of your Utility slot?

In an Nl only league with tulo as my ss? Sure. I save by having a $5 player who helps me win steals and make up any power issues elsewhere.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:44 pm

If you're playing a SS at UTL, you're doing something wrong. I don't care what kind of league it is. That's just so sub-optimal.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:09 am

lane_anasazi2 wrote:If you're playing a SS at UTL, you're doing something wrong. I don't care what kind of league it is. That's just so sub-optimal.

It's suboptimal to release the player (Gordon) most likely to provide the greatest value over his cost. Nl only leagues don't just have extra 1b or of lying around to be plugged into the util spot. I'm not sure what the opening poster meant by "standard" when he described his league, but I'm assuming 2 catchers 5 of mi, cr, and util. Gordon becomes more questionable the fewer lineup slots there are.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:25 am

lane_anasazi2 wrote:If you're playing a SS at UTL, you're doing something wrong. I don't care what kind of league it is. That's just so sub-optimal.

Welcome to 12 team NL only. ;-D It happens more then you can imagine. Heck, I have even seen catchers playing the UT position over the year. Gordon at $5 could become an absolute steal. You could very well get 40 steals from him next year with decent runs scored to go along with it. That would be a $5 well worth spending in NL only.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm in the 'keep Gordon' group. No way do you want to end up hoping you get anything productive out of guys like Betancourt or Theriot.

However, have to argue with the majority on your original keeper question as I'd hold Worley. For much of the season, I waited for him to implode but it never happened. Then, I read about how he developed a very good moving two seamer. Although he might regress a bit in the K department, I feel he will most certainly average closer to 8 rather then the 6 he did through most of his minor league career. In addition, I give a little extra to bulldog mentalities + pitchers in good winning organizations.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:

It's suboptimal to release the player (Gordon) most likely to provide the greatest value over his cost. Nl only leagues don't just have extra 1b or of lying around to be plugged into the util spot. I'm not sure what the opening poster meant by "standard" when he described his league, but I'm assuming 2 catchers 5 of mi, cr, and util. Gordon becomes more questionable the fewer lineup slots there are.

To me, "standard" is 1 C, 3 OF, 1 UTL and no MI/CI. I'm 100% on board that if it's something like 2 C 5 OF MI/CI 2 UTL, then by all means keep Gordon in a 12 team NL only. It isn't even a question.

To be fair, sometimes you do have to stick a SS/C or something into UTL, I just can't believe that even in a deep league there isn't a better player (that he could conceivably pick up in the draft) than Gordon.

Also, and this is important, I'm not a big believer in Gordon. His minor-league profile just doesn't predict stardom for me. 7 career HR in over 1600 minor league AB, for one thing. He's also not at a place on the development curve where there's room for a lot of projection.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:22 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:Also, and this is important, I'm not a big believer in Gordon. His minor-league profile just doesn't predict stardom for me. 7 career HR in over 1600 minor league AB, for one thing. He's also not at a place on the development curve where there's room for a lot of projection.

Gordon doesn't need to realize stardom to be worth the $5. His OBP isn't much to write home about, but that can improve as he'll have the starting gig to himself. He's lightning-fast, he'll have plenty of SB opportunities as well.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions