3 Pitchers, 2 Keeper Spots, You Decide - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

3 Pitchers, 2 Keeper Spots, You Decide

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

3 Pitchers, 2 Keeper Spots, You Decide

Postby DontGuessWrong » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:26 pm

AL-only, 5x5 H2H, Keeper/Dynasty League

Alright guys. Some of you have helped me get this far. I have 3 pitchers and 2 keeper spots. All I need to know from you guys is which two to keep. I'll give you a brief breakdown of the situation. My pitching categories are ERA, WHIP, W, S, K-BB. I'm looking to add two of these pitchers to a staff that already includes Michael Pineda and Max Scherzer. Any imput would be appreciated.

Brandon Morrow - $14
I could keep him for one season. Two seasons if I extend him to $19 before the season, which I don't see doing.

Chris Sale - $12
I could keep him for two seasons. Three seasons if I extend him to $17 before the 2013 season. I'd have to see how 2012 goes first.

Brandon McCarthy - $10
I could also keep him for two seasons. Three seasons if I extend him to $15 before the 2013 season.
DontGuessWrong
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 3 Pitchers, 2 Keeper Spots, You Decide

Postby ensanimal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Sale could be intriguing, especially if he does get moved to the rotation. It would be him and Morrow for me. You know what your getting with Morrow, some gems, some not so much. If you can use him properly he's dominant(ish). ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 111)

Postby fast dogs » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:22 am

In the other post you mentioned why no love for McCarthy; I'm guessing the reason is we've all been burned by him in the past. If you could just get a repeat of his 2011 he'd be a decent holdover. But thats a pretty big if. Couple that with you don't know where he'll be pitching in '12 and it gets even riskier. If he resigns with Oakland thats as good of a spot for a flyball pitcher to land outside of SD. Not sure when you have to declare your keepers, but as of right now I think you are better with the other 2
If Sale gets moved into the rotation he could be good for you in 12 and better in 13 and could warrant the $5 extension. If he goes back to a 7th-8th-9th inning guy he might not earn the $12. Morrow for 1 year, wait and see where McC signs and Sale gets slotted. If you have to decide soon its a much tougher call. The option for Sale in '13 bumps him ahead of McC in my book, but neither are must keeps until theres more news
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Postby nolesox » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Morrow and Sale would be my choices as well. I would hold off on extensions for either though
nolesox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:10 am

sale and morrow for me as well. mccarthy is intriguing if he re-signs with the A's (and he probably will), but i would assume you could get him back at a similar price.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:34 am

DontGuessWrong wrote:AL-only, 5x5 H2H, Keeper/Dynasty League

Alright guys. Some of you have helped me get this far. I have 3 pitchers and 2 keeper spots. All I need to know from you guys is which two to keep. I'll give you a brief breakdown of the situation. My pitching categories are ERA, WHIP, W, S, K-BB. I'm looking to add two of these pitchers to a staff that already includes Michael Pineda and Max Scherzer. Any imput would be appreciated.

Brandon Morrow - $14
I could keep him for one season. Two seasons if I extend him to $19 before the season, which I don't see doing.

Chris Sale - $12
I could keep him for two seasons. Three seasons if I extend him to $17 before the 2013 season. I'd have to see how 2012 goes first.

Brandon McCarthy - $10
I could also keep him for two seasons. Three seasons if I extend him to $15 before the 2013 season.

I think I need more information...namely the league cap and some benchmarks for other players in the league. At first glance, I'd probably extend Morrow and toss a coin on the other. I tend to shy away from committing to relief pitchers in contract leagues, so I'd rather gamble on one for 2012 than commit to one for more than 2012. Depending on your free agent market though, and how valuable closers are in your settings, I could certainly understand the rationale behind keeping Sale, though.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:19 am

I would definitely keep Morrow, and probably even extend him to 2013. Sale would be my 2nd choice.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:32 pm

I think I'm getting sucked back into the McCarthy camp. I'd keep him over Sale.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby ensanimal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:45 pm

BigLebowski wrote:I think I'm getting sucked back into the McCarthy camp. I'd keep him over Sale.

I think a lot of this is going to depend on where Sale ends up this season. In the bullpen, I go with McCarthy. In the rotation, I go Sale.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 111)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions