How to handle draft pick trading in a keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How to handle draft pick trading in a keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to handle draft pick trading in a keeper league

Postby GRIN » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Hello folks,
I originally posted this in the Hockey Commissioner's Corner, but the same would apply for Baseball.
I'm looking for some league configuration advice.
Managers can keep up to six players (i.e. 0-6).

1. Should managers be allowed to trade picks in the first six rounds or should only picks 7-23 be in play for draft pick trading?
2. If allowed to trade one of the first six rounds, should they still be allowed to keep six players? For example, if I traded my 4th round pick away and still wanted to keep six I would only start drafting in Round 8.

Any example of similar rules from your leagues that work or don't; or just your general thoughts would be most welcome.
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to handle draft pick trading in a keeper league

Postby bigmck » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:30 am

You can't allow a team to trade away a 1-6 and then keep seven players. If a team can only keep six, then that is the way it is. I think Rounds 7-23 picks should be traded.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby fast dogs » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Some sites have a tough time handling uneven starting points, it can be done, but you might have to start it offline untill all teams have full compliment
certainly you can't trade away a pick then keep the full compliment of players as bigmck stated
We don't allow trading of draft picks untill the offseason and everyone has paid for the year. In-season trading of picks can lead to keeper league disaster for new owners of teams who have traded away picks in an effort to win this year.
We allow trading of picks and players which has helped weaker teams rebuild in 1 offseason. I'll trade you my 4th (10th)round pick for your 3rd pick if you give me your 7th best player kinda thing. You usually don't think about the bottom teams/owners in a keeper league but those are the owners that usually leave and need replacing.Finding new owners to take these lesser teams is easier when they have some options to get players of their choosing rather than just whats currently on their decimated roster.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 261)

Postby converge241 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:30 am

In the keeper league I run, keeper cost is paid by draft picks including additional loss of draft picks for top 70 players (luxury tax). We cut to 10 players right after season, then to 5 or 6 (optional) come the spring.

In the offseason, trading of any draft picks are allowed but we avoid potential problems by:
1. Not allowing picks for picks -far too hard to evaluate in a way that leaves everyone happy. I cna easily come up with a value system for it but its just too intangible so IMO its best to avoid
2. So many of your draft picks get blocked by cost to keep that many of the better performing teams the past year do not have available good picks to use to improve, where the lesser teams generally do
3. If you trade for a player he LOCKS into your keepers with an injury exception if deemed "seriously hurt" this way no one is firing off too many draft picks for players they wont keep or in general going too crazy with it
4. We dont allow in season trading of picks, because in theory in our system no one is 100% sure what draft picks they will have available until the offseason. You could do this though if you wanted I would just suggest to ahve anyone prepay in full for future year(s) if they dip into picks.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Return to Commissioner's Corner