OWS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

OWS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

OWS

Postby Tavish » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:45 am

So, anyone have thoughts? Will the protests be gamed by the political system turned into another Tea Party? What do you see the eventual endgame being?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: OWS

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:56 am

I got the excuse from a student last week, "Sorry I couldn't do my homework, I was occupying Wall St. with my Dad for three hours after school yesterday." :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:46 pm

I guess what I don't get is how it keeps gaining speed without have some sort of focus. The movement needs a voice IMO or it is just a mob.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I guess what I don't get is how it keeps gaining speed without have some sort of focus. The movement needs a voice IMO or it is just a mob.

It seems like Occupy's goal is just to keep awareness high about the economy continuing to be stuck and that government has done or is doing little to help the vast majority.

I don't think Occupy has anything other than awareness to gain from the movement, nor do they have any answers for solving the economic crisis.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:39 pm

personally, im loving the protests and especially the media coverage. its going to backfire big time in all these blue states. the hypocrisy is amazing, and is in plain view for the real 99% of the country to see ... you know them, the people who actually pay the taxes ...

Sleeping beside the hardcore activists are increasing numbers of wealthy students turning up to make the most of the party atmosphere, drugs and free food.
While they dress down to blend in, the youngsters' privileged backgrounds are revealed by glimpses of expensive gadgetry or the absent minded mention of their private schools during heated political debates. One student, who did not want to be named, admitted she had been sleeping at the protest site with her boyfriend despite living in nearby TriBeCa, a neighbourhood which is home to many of New York's A list celebrities. While she is not camping out, she studies at Bard College in Manhattan - a private school which charges fees of up to $200,000 for a four-year degree.

One of the students who joined in, an arts major at trendy Parsons design school in New York, flicked through pictures on her pricey laptop as she sat on the park floor. Another listened to a speech and chanted along with furious activists while wearing a pair of True Religion jeans - which are marketed on their website at about $300

Protesters arrived by the busload, including many Chicago Teachers Union members who climbed off yellow school buses that parked near police barricades.
Andromachi Koumbis, an elementary school teacher, said she showed up because she was unhappy with what she termed 'tampering' with the Chicago teachers labor contract that will add hours to the school day.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:52 pm

wrveres wrote:personally, im loving the protests and especially the media coverage. its going to backfire big time in all these blue states. the hypocrisy is amazing, and is in plain view for the real 99% of the country to see ... you know them, the people who actually pay the taxes ...

Sleeping beside the hardcore activists are increasing numbers of wealthy students turning up to make the most of the party atmosphere, drugs and free food.
While they dress down to blend in, the youngsters' privileged backgrounds are revealed by glimpses of expensive gadgetry or the absent minded mention of their private schools during heated political debates. One student, who did not want to be named, admitted she had been sleeping at the protest site with her boyfriend despite living in nearby TriBeCa, a neighbourhood which is home to many of New York's A list celebrities. While she is not camping out, she studies at Bard College in Manhattan - a private school which charges fees of up to $200,000 for a four-year degree.

One of the students who joined in, an arts major at trendy Parsons design school in New York, flicked through pictures on her pricey laptop as she sat on the park floor. Another listened to a speech and chanted along with furious activists while wearing a pair of True Religion jeans - which are marketed on their website at about $300

Protesters arrived by the busload, including many Chicago Teachers Union members who climbed off yellow school buses that parked near police barricades.
Andromachi Koumbis, an elementary school teacher, said she showed up because she was unhappy with what she termed 'tampering' with the Chicago teachers labor contract that will add hours to the school day.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:01 pm

wrveres wrote:personally, im loving the protests and especially the media coverage. its going to backfire big time in all these blue states. the hypocrisy is amazing, and is in plain view for the real 99% of the country to see ... you know them, the people who actually pay the taxes ...

I agree that it is a disaster waiting to happen for any politician that wants to hitch their wagon to the protests, the same goes for a politician that wants to demonize it. For something as loosely defined as this was when it began, it is extremely funny to watch both the politicians and the media work as fast as they can to label it. That might all change fairly quickly now that people are starting to join the protests with obvious motives.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby TheRock » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Image

I wonder if anyone who actually earned what they have feels the same way...
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:43 pm

TheRock wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Image

I wonder if anyone who actually earned what they have feels the same way...

i believe they're called philanthropists
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thedude » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:03 pm

How much are these protests costing in police overtime?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to General Talk