A. Beltre vs J Reyes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

A. Beltre vs J Reyes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A. Beltre vs J Reyes

Postby acapulco » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:22 pm

10 team points keeper league. 4 keepers. I'm leaning towards keeping Ellsbury, Pedroia, and Granderson. Undecided between Jose Reyes and Adrian Beltre as the 4th keeper. Reyes' injury history over the years has me worried. Thoughts?
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A. Beltre vs J Reyes

Postby onitapgr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Really close....in a points league, Beltre

I would heavily consider Reyes over Pedroia
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby fast dogs » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:18 pm

How did the points breaks break down this year? Do you use middle and corner both? All things being equal I like the way you are leaning if it comes down to those 2. K's don't count against you? Was Granderson much higher than either of these 2? It would really be nice to have a SS 3rd basemen and 2nd basemen to begin...
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Postby acapulco » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:00 pm

In my pts league, Ellsbury, Reyes, Granderson, Pedroia, and Beltre finished in that order for points per game. All did very well. As for total pts, because Reyes and Beltre missed so many games, they lagged in total pts scored.

In my pts league, you get pts for walks, lose them for strikeouts, etc. But if you're on the DL for 30 games then the manager is forced to plug in someone else who is not Beltre or Reyes quality. That is why I'm leaning towards keeping Pedroia (who always plays 150 games+), Ellsbury (who also tends to stay healthy except for 2010), and Granderson (usually healthy) and why Reyes makes me wary. Beltre usually is healthy, but can he be counted on for 30 home runs and 100 rbis next year?
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:09 am

I was thinking that Beltre was going to be my answer but I think you should go wit Reyes here. He has the most upside of both of these players plus he is still only 28. I really liked Beltre signing with Texas last year but he is going to be 33 next April and there is a point where he is going to take a step back where as Reyes still has some life left. Granted speed is likely to drop off earlier than power for players so both could be on downward slope but I think i would take the younger SS over the older 3B.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:16 pm

Beltre will probably put up better numbers next year but can't justify throwing Reyes back, SS is too shallow and he's too good.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Beltre will probably put up better numbers next year but can't justify throwing Reyes back, SS is too shallow and he's too good.

;-D Agreed.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CyboNinja » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Beltre is getting old and this was his best year of his career. I would keep Reyes. His best years are still ahead of him if he can only stay healthy...

viewtopic.php?t=437162
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 135)

Postby LordMattius » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:21 pm

SS Reyes
3b Beltre
OF Granderson, Ellsbury
LordMattius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby nolesox » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:08 pm

Despite the injury concern Reyes is a must keep. When healthy he's not just elite he's a top 3/4 overall player. Beltre is getting older but playing in Texas should help him keep his #'s up for at least another couple of years. I actually think the bigger debate for me would be Beltre and Grandy I know Granderson was great and actually hit lefties really well this year. But I tend to think he'll disappoint next year. Especially in the BA dept. playing in Yankee stadium the power will remain to a degree but if he hits 30 HR instead of 40 and is carrying a 240 BA then he will hurt as much as he helps. When you look at his #'s this year is a clear outlier and even this year there were some warning signs like his K's going up. Tough to trust guys that have their "breakthrough" at age 30 after 7 years in the bigs. Not many tend to hold that trend short of Bautista and he is just a complete anomaly. Beltre has 2 straight years now of producing at a very high level and (atleast to me) has proven that Seattle is just where hitters go to die and that in Texas w/ that lineup around him is primed to continue his production. 3B has really got a lot of question marks IMO and Beltre is one of the few sure things. Now obviously Granderson has tons of value right now so I would shop him and try and get an elite player w/ more of a track record. At that point you couldn't keep Beltre either and you may even have to include him in the deal but I think now is the time to move Granderson at 31 going into next year his value will never be higher.
nolesox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions