Keepers: Holliday, Pence, Zobrist, Panda - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keepers: Holliday, Pence, Zobrist, Panda

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keepers: Holliday, Pence, Zobrist, Panda

Postby rdd121robroy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:17 am

Having a hard time deciding on my last keeper and could use some help. In my league we can keep 0-6 players for a max of $150. We do not have MI or CI and use LF,CF,RF and 1 UTIL.

Here are my keepers so far:

Cano $46
Ellsbury $17
Haren $13
Granderson $5
Hosmer $5

Here is who I'm deciding between on my roster for the final spot:

Pence $18
Zobrist $10
Panda $7

I also have the opportunity to trade Pence and Zobrist for Holliday ($38).

I see Holliday as the best player of the 4 but is he that much better than any of the 3 I already own that it's worth giving away 2 relative bargains for him at what seems to be what he'd likely go for at auction? However his $38 fits fine in my keeper budget.

Thanks in advance, WHIR.
rdd121robroy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keepers: Holliday, Pence, Zobrist, Panda

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:28 am

Pence and Zobrist (you don't need him but still too cheap to dump). Don't trade them for Holliday, $38 was probably around what he went for last year, now he's coming off injuries? I can't imagine him clearing $40 if he's there in the draft whereas Pence and Zobrist are both worth $10+ more each than where you are keeping them.

I'd shop Panda around, $7 is really cheap for him too.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby rdd121robroy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:41 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Pence and Zobrist (you don't need him but still too cheap to dump). Don't trade them for Holliday, $38 was probably around what he went for last year, now he's coming off injuries? I can't imagine him clearing $40 if he's there in the draft whereas Pence and Zobrist are both worth $10+ more each than where you are keeping them.

I'd shop Panda around, $7 is really cheap for him too.

Thanks. I think I'm on the same page as you with this deal. However, I can only keep one of Pence or Zobrist so which do you like better considering my roster? Unless you think one of my other keepers should be tossed back as well.
rdd121robroy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fast dogs » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:48 pm

After the big 5 are gone at 3rd, Panda & Lawrie would seem to have less risk then A Rod, Youk & A Ram. You are going to have money to overspend somewhere, but I'd be more than happy with a $7 Panda
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:57 pm

Pablo is a top 5 3B right now. A $7 panda is significantly more valuable than an $18 Pence. I'd think I'd rather have a $10 zobrist than a $46 cano assuming the extra money can be spent well in the draft. I'd drop cano from the keepers and take zobrist and panda.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Whoops, Pence then.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby rdd121robroy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:12 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Pablo is a top 5 3B right now. A $7 panda is significantly more valuable than an $18 Pence. I'd think I'd rather have a $10 zobrist than a $46 cano assuming the extra money can be spent well in the draft. I'd drop cano from the keepers and take zobrist and panda.

Thanks. Your thoughts have merit and that's why I'm struggling with this decision. But we only need to go back to the 2009 offseason for both Panda and Zobrist for a sobering reminder of how this strategy can backfire. If I had used the same logic of keeping them both for cheaper than more established guys my 2010 would have been brutal. I don't think I can risk Cano's elite 1st round production on the wild card that is Zobrist. Pence on the other hand I'd risk for Panda or Zobrist. I suppose I lean towards Panda at 3B?
rdd121robroy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:07 pm

rdd121robroy wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Pablo is a top 5 3B right now. A $7 panda is significantly more valuable than an $18 Pence. I'd think I'd rather have a $10 zobrist than a $46 cano assuming the extra money can be spent well in the draft. I'd drop cano from the keepers and take zobrist and panda.

Thanks. Your thoughts have merit and that's why I'm struggling with this decision. But we only need to go back to the 2009 offseason for both Panda and Zobrist for a sobering reminder of how this strategy can backfire. If I had used the same logic of keeping them both for cheaper than more established guys my 2010 would have been brutal. I don't think I can risk Cano's elite 1st round production on the wild card that is Zobrist. Pence on the other hand I'd risk for Panda or Zobrist. I suppose I lean towards Panda at 3B?

i would go with panda of the three, 3B is not as deep as it once was and you already have cano at 2nd. pablo's 2010 was pretty much because his weight got out of control and while he did gain about 10 lbs of the 30 lbs he lost back, he's back on an offseason regime again to lose it. I'm not too worried about a repeat of that season and if he stays healthy (his injury this year was a freak one) he's a .320-30 HR threat (he's still only 25). only thing hurting him is SF's offense, but with buster and freddy back and a possibly re-signing of beltran, that should improve.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby rdd121robroy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:30 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
rdd121robroy wrote:

i would go with panda of the three, 3B is not as deep as it once was and you already have cano at 2nd. pablo's 2010 was pretty much because his weight got out of control and while he did gain about 10 lbs of the 30 lbs he lost back, he's back on an offseason regime again to lose it. I'm not too worried about a repeat of that season and if he stays healthy (his injury this year was a freak one) he's a .320-30 HR threat (he's still only 25). only thing hurting him is SF's offense, but with buster and freddy back and a possibly re-signing of beltran, that should improve.

Can't say I disagree with any of those points on Panda. The combination of his upside and the dearth of talent at 3B has me leaning towards him I think. Thanks.
rdd121robroy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:08 pm

I would keep Zobrist and Panda and throw Cano back. You should at least be able to get Cano back in the auction for close to the same price.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions