Rank em' for next year and going forward WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Rank em' for next year and going forward WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rank em' for next year and going forward WHIR

Postby Guzman24 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:37 am

12 Team H2H 5x5 QS instead of W's 8 keepers

Rank these young SP for next season. I can only keep 1 of these guys as a keeper. Verlander is my other keeper SP and my other 6 are: Reyes,Votto,Tex,Kemp,Granderson,Holliday. Whoever I don't keep I need to try deal for picks so keep in mind the value I could get for these players too:

Josh Johnson - stud "when" healthy, top 5 potential, very risky
David Price - very durable, will he take the next step next year. ERA went up last year, WHIP went down
Madison Bumgarner - arguably the Giants best SP in the 2nd half ahead of Lincecum and Cain, finished as a top 20SP despite a brutal start, only 22yrs old
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rank em' for next year and going forward WHIR

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:14 am

I'd keep Price.

Price, Bumgardner, JJ
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby fast dogs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Price is the choice but if you can get picks for him and keep Bum the divisions they pitch in narrows the gap. I don't think JJ figures here
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 319)

Postby pjalst » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:09 pm

fast dogs wrote:Price is the choice but if you can get picks for him and keep Bum the divisions they pitch in narrows the gap. I don't think JJ figures here

I agree here, you can't go wrong keeping Bum Or Price. The odd man out will bring you good value in a trade.

please help ;http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437116
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Price would be my keeper choice.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bayside » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Keep in mind that its not necessarily best to trade away your keeper caliber player that you plan to cut.

For one it means that other teams have to keep worse players, which is good for you.
It may be better to deny another owner a solid keeper than to move up a few spots in the draft. This is obv dependent on what kind of draft pick were talking about here.

Also by NOT trading them away you will be able to possibly redraft them. If you trade them away for another owner to keep, they are gone forever.
And even if you dont decide to drat them, it still means there are more quality players available in the draft.

For example in one of my leagues we keep 4 players, and one of the stronger teams had 6-7 guys that would be sure keepers on most teams.
He would be cutting guys like Justin Upton and Cliff Lee...
So he got a 3rd round pick for Upton + his 7th rounder, and traded away Lee + 17th rounder for and a 5th round pick.

At first you may think, well thats awesome, because hes moving up the draft and it cost him nothing because hed have to cut them anyway.
Not the case.
He failed to realize that for one, after considering 4 keeprs/team hes really only getting back a #7 for JUp, and #9 for Lee.
Also he has the first pick so he wouldve been guaranteed to be able to draft Upton. Ouch.
And finally if he chose not to make these trades he couldve forced the other teams to keep players like Cain, Greinke, Weeks, Hosmer, Stanton, or Sanatana - good players to be sure but definitely not top 40 caliber imo, and nowhere near as valuable as Upton or Lee

anyone care to give input on my Beachy/Pineda keper question?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437077
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby zooiiks » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:25 am

Bayside pts out a strategy that is waaaaay too often forgotten when it comes to keepers. People panic when they have "too many" guys to keep and tend to make deals for picks. IMO, if you're gonna make a deal, make a deal for a better keeper (i.e., use Bumgarner/JJ and Teix/Holliday to reel in a Cano)...that sort of thing. But a pick isn't worth all that much considering so many players are already off the board. Stick w/ Price and see where Bumgarner falls in the draft. Remember, if your league has 12 teams and 8 keepers, you're looking at a potential 98 players off the board to start making Bumgarner possibly a 1st-3rd rder.
zooiiks
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 38)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions