Iphone 4 or Iphone 4s??? HELP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Iphone 4 or Iphone 4s??? HELP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Iphone 4 or Iphone 4s??? HELP?

Postby jfg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:28 pm

I agree, but what I'm saying is that more effort should be put into eliminating dead spots than making some areas have faster speeds.

Any glitches so far with iOS6? I had to restore both my phone and iPad after doing the wireless update, on both devices it went into recovery mode once the install was done. Also, on my iPad, I'm having some problems getting directions, telling me that it can't find directions from here to there. Weird thing is, on my phone from the same location, it works fine. I like the Facebook integration a lot, especially with how it updates contacts. I've always used Facebook as my phonebook, this makes it a lot easier. I haven't checked out the new Siri features too much yet, but that should be cool for scores and standings. As a person who doesn't get out much with a little baby, Passbook isn't going to be something I use a ton, but it looks pretty nice.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:02 am

It's funny seeing these updates that iOS has which were on my Android phone 3 years ago. I'm actually tempted to go back to Android after seeing iOS fail to woo me with anything. Siri has been crap, Maps is still years behind the technology curve, still no widgets, need to rely on a jailbreak for so much stuff which complicates updating the phone (this is the reason I left Android for the iPhone 4... was a pain to update firmware). There are many things I do like about iPhones but I think I might hop off the train.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby jfg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:50 pm

I have to say, the past 2 years... since the iPad basically, Apple has been playing a lot of catch up and now they are going after things like Maps which is showing just how far behind they are on some things. It will be interesting to see if they've become too big to be a true innovation company. Losing Jobs was a huge blow, and it's true they'll never have a visionary like him again but the big thing to me is how gigantic they've become which usually stifles innovation.

That said, the iPhone is still the best phone out there according to numerous respected, unbiased sites, nobody touches Apple when it comes to tablets, and they still market like no other company out there. There's no reason to jump ship now, they are still making excellent devices. Marketing can only go so far though, if another company with some marketing savvy becomes the innovator, people will switch. Apple has always had that "one more thing" that's wowed people every year but I don't think many people have been wowed since 2010.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:22 pm

They really haven't done anything in a while. I mean, they FINALLY allow podcast subscriptions with the new Podcasts app. It's pathetic that that's the best thing I can think of since I got my iPhone 4 two years ago. It's a really nice looking phone and the hardware quality is the best, bar none. I love that it's very solid made of metal and glass, versus the cheap plastic other companies use. And the photo quality is also by far the best. But it's too small to watch streaming video and browsing the internet is much better on a larger screen. And pretty much all their software is at least a year behind everybody else. Pretty sure I'm doing an Android switch for my next device. I might even go with the new Galaxy Note 2.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:32 am

I have a 4.65" Nexus. You're right, video and browsing is so much better on a bigger screen. Also texting is easier. And games are better because your thumbs don't take up half the screen. Android is so much better today than it was even 1 year ago. If it's been 3 years, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend Android to everyone. But for many, it is the better choice.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 am

I was an early adopter of Android, I got pretty much the first device they released, it didn't even have a headphone jack, but it did have a trackball which was surprisingly handy for text input and would light up when an alert happened. It was the HTC Magic (was called something else in the states). I flashed a new cyanogenmod firmware since it took my carrier forever to do updates (was stuck on cupcake which I'm pretty sure is the first android version), and had a hard time changing the firmware after that. The carrier blocked data access to all android devices that didn't have the new Rogers-approved Donut 1.6 OTA update which they offered months after the fact, and since I had changed the SPL and radios or whatever they're called, I couldn't update it, and was without data for quite some time, even though I was already running a newer version of Donut 1.6 which fixed the issue of not being able to dial 911 while data was being used. When I switched to an iPhone after that it was so polished and sleek that I stuck with them for a couple years. Long story short, Apple has served it's purpose and it's time to go back. The whole Maps fiasco was the final straw. Lack of innovation is one thing, but setting yourself back multiple years for such a key component of a mobile OS is inexcusable.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk