AL only, 4 keepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

AL only, 4 keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AL only, 4 keepers

Postby toledomudhens » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:16 am

Hey fellas, Al only 5x5 roto....we keep 4 players year to year.
my top players this year are as follows...
AROD
YOUK
GRANDERSON
LAWRIE
ASDRUBAL
GORDON
WEAVER
these are the only guys on my roster worth keeping, remember it is a AL only fellas....thanks for the help...
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 195)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: AL only, 4 keepers

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:06 pm

toledomudhens wrote:Hey fellas, Al only 5x5 roto....we keep 4 players year to year.
my top players this year are as follows...
AROD
YOUK
GRANDERSON
LAWRIE
ASDRUBAL
GORDON
WEAVER
these are the only guys on my roster worth keeping, remember it is a AL only fellas....thanks for the help...

Important question, what are the position requirements? You've got 3 great third basemen, but are there multiple UTIL spots or a CI spot so you can start them all at once? If you're in a Yahoo! league, then nevermind, Youkilis will qualify at 1B next year too.

I think its easier to get down to 5 (Arod, Youk, Granderson, Lawrie, Weaver). Lawrie likely is not at the level of Arod or Youk next year (could be close), but has a great future ahead of him. If you can't trade any of them, I guess I would go with Youk, Lawrie, Granderson Weaver, knowing that Arod only has a few more years... I would understand not keeping Lawrie though, as there is a significant amount of risk there.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby toledomudhens » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Sorry fellas, our rosters consist of 23 players...we run standard espn format but with 2 catchers, we use ci and mi as well as 1 utility spot. Players must have 20 games played at a position to qualify there the following year... My only problem with arod and youk is the amount of games missed the last 2 years....In a single league games played are very important as there are not alot of options on the waiver wire, very deep league....pitchers are easy to come by on draft day as hitters are always kept first and formost....i guess it really comes down to asdrubal, gordon or lawrie......thanks fellas always like other opinons about my team....thanks
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:43 pm

toledomudhens wrote:Sorry fellas, our rosters consist of 23 players...we run standard espn format but with 2 catchers, we use ci and mi as well as 1 utility spot. Players must have 20 games played at a position to qualify there the following year... My only problem with arod and youk is the amount of games missed the last 2 years....In a single league games played are very important as there are not alot of options on the waiver wire, very deep league....pitchers are easy to come by on draft day as hitters are always kept first and formost....i guess it really comes down to asdrubal, gordon or lawrie......thanks fellas always like other opinons about my team....thanks

of those three I definitely go with Lawrie. Gordon's BABIP will regress next year, and then he's just an average OF. Asdrubal's NEVER hit HR like that before. Lawrie is a stud prospect... maybe I'm too much of a prospect-hound, but I think we already know Gordon and Asdrubal hit over their heads this year, Lawrie could be the real deal.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby toledomudhens » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks fellas.... ;-D
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby zooiiks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:04 pm

You know, I can't see keeping either ARod or Youkilis, not with their injury woes and ages.

Out of this group I keep Lawrie, Weaver, Asdrubal (SS being an insanely weak position...I take the chance), and Granderson. With Lawrie and Asdrubal you have 3b/SS covered and MI/CI could be covered by the much deeper 2b/1b positions. Weaver gives you an ace and Granderson a top OF w/ power/speed. I'd expect ARod and Youk to drop in the draft and you might be able to get either one back fairly easily.

Please help w/ mine! Thanks!

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=437095
zooiiks
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 38)

Postby toledomudhens » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:02 am

hey fellas, i have been going back and forth with these guys in my head....I know that Granderson is my #1 keeper. But from there it gets interesting, i have arod, youk, lawrie, asdrubal and weaver....We can only keep 4 players and it is posted above abot our settings and rules.....Too me Arod and Youk the last 2 years have missed way to many games, and when your stars are missing games it hurts, big names or not....I don't expect asdrubal to hit like he did last year, but isn't a 18-20 hr 80 rbi 15 sb's and a 275 avg good for a SS?...And this lawrie kid is nothing short of amazing, big time talent, but is it too soon?...I guess what I am trying to ask is it to much of a risk to let go of the #4 hitters in both new york and boston for lawrie and asdrubal?.....My personal opionon is I might be able to reaquire weaver with my first round pick before either arod or youk....is loosing 1 of these guys worth having lawrie on my team for years to come?
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby Element » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:55 am

Granderson
A-Rod
Lawrie
Weaver

Those are your best 4 players. I expect Gordon and Cabrera to come back down to earth a touch this season.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 713)

Postby ensanimal » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:02 am

toledomudhens wrote:is loosing 1 of these guys worth having lawrie on my team for years to come?

Yes, I think so. Lawrie sets you up for a long time, while not losing much, if any production this year.

I would have a really hard time letting Weaver go. Having a true ace in an AL only league must be worth something. Obviously you know your league best, so if you think you get him back easier than the bats, can't fault you there. I would just think hard on who else may be available with your pick.

My 4 would be....

Granderson
Lawrie
As. Cabrera
Weaver

If you go bat over Weaver, I would go with Youkilis, offers better flexibility having 1B/3B.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:28 pm

I honestly think all of your players stand to decline a bit. That said, I would keep the following-

1) Weaver- Ace SP for an AL only league. Won't fall off the map.
2) Granderson- Had a very nice 2011, but I doubt he repeats those numbers in 2012 (faded 2nd half of 2011). Keep him and trade him.
3) Lawrie- High upside 3B who should provide good value for years to come. I don't think you will see mind boggling stats in 2012 though.

4) A Rod or Youkilis- I think these two players are about the same. Both hit in top lineups, both can produce very good numbers if healthy, but both have been battling injuries for a while. I would lean towards keeping Youkilis since he is younger and generally has good 1st half numbers (which makes him easier to trade). Either way, if you keep Lawrie and either Youk/ARod, trade the latter once they build some value. You already have your 3B of the future in Lawrie.

Asdrubal and Gordon don't impress me that much. I think Gordon has a decent year, but it is much easier to find a good OF vs. most other positions. Asdrubal's second half scares me- declined across the board and got caught stealing way too often.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions