Need commish advice asap!! disaster in my league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need commish advice asap!! disaster in my league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need commish advice asap!! disaster in my league

Postby LSUby50 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi, im running a 20 team baseball league on yahoo. Apparently there is a loophole on yahoo, that allows you to exceed the maximum number of innings pitched, if you are under the maximum 1300, you can pile on as many innings on the final day and they all count.

Anyway a team in my league did this and got 1330 innings (apparently he knew about the loophole, because benched all his pitchers the day before with 1297 innings, and then started about 8 pitchers on the final day and got 33 more innings, and passed the first place team on the final day) Now of course the 2nd place team is livid because he exceeded teh max # of innings and yahoo allowed it.

Should i ovverrule yahoo and award the prize to the 2nd place guy? or should i let this slide. What makes this even worse is the same guy made a shady trade earlier in the year that most people were upset about, and i had to let it slide because it was borderline.

PLEASE HELP WITH INPUT!
LSUby50
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need commish advice asap!! disaster in my league

Postby mkultra » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:38 pm

I think Manager #1's victory should stand. The innings limit loophole is sort of a "widely known secret" that affects all sites, I think. It's simply too hard to determine when "inning 1300" happens with multiple pitchers going, so all pitching stats for that day are valid.

I understand why Manager #2 is upset, because it is pretty weaselly, but here's what he needs to remember in a roto league: He may have lost the lead in the last day, but he didn't lose the season in the last day. A lot more went into the stats that got him where he is than those 30 extra innings.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:45 pm

uhm just about everyone knows about this "loophole" and uses it to pile up on pitching for last ditch effort/hail mary. even yahoo fantasy writers advise you do this on the final day.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby LSUby50 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks guys, i wasnt aware of the loophole, and most of my league wasnt either, but if its a known strategy then i guess i have to let it stand, even if it is a crappy way to lose.
LSUby50
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:43 pm

All sites process their stats at the end of day, not in the middle of games. Just stop and think how hard it would be to tell which pitcher made the 1300 inning.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby fast dogs » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:45 am

there is probably 3-4 posts on this site alone the last week seeking advice on how to play the final day of innings limits leagues. planning and working the schedule in your favor is very common as teams approach the limit.I'd be more suprised if more teams in your league earlier in the year didn't do this, it just wasn't as noticeable
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 286)

Postby LSUby50 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:47 am

Even if its widely known, its still rediculous that you can get over the maximum number. Id much rather it cut off at the limit, even if there's no way to tell which player reached the maximum, thats still better than allowing 30 extra innings. Whats the point in even having a max if you can exceed it?

Anyway, thanks for the input.
LSUby50
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mkultra » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:21 pm

LSUby50 wrote:Id much rather it cut off at the limit

The problem is that score trackers don't track to that level of detail. As people have been saying above, how do you technically know when the innings limit "happens"? To cite an extreme example, consider this scenario: I've got 5 innings left. I start two pitchers, who are starting separate games at the same time. Pitcher A finishes the 5th inning while Pitcher B is still pitching his 5th inning with 2 outs. Which innings between those games count? If both pitchers get the Win, does either count?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby LSUby50 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:17 pm

like i said, i'd still rather that than allowing some teams to have more innings pitched than another. Just add up the stats until you reached the inning limit, or use the pitcher's stats who gets you closest to the max # of innings,whatever. there are lots of ways to do it that would be more fair than allowing 30 extra innings.

Granted, allowing the extra innings is the easiest solution, but not the best/fairest.
LSUby50
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:47 pm

you need to adapt to it. every fantasy baseball site uses the same method... it's not really even a loophole because everyone knows about it.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner