VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Postby bayside » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:08 am

wrveres wrote:Would it be fair to assume you don't use ERA or WHIP in your leagues?
TribeIn2012 wrote:Starting Pitcher Rankings:
12 Yovani Gallardo, MIL
21 Ubaldo Jiminez, CLE meh, im pretty sure he wasnt 100% healthy at any time all year. expect FB avg velo to be back up to ~95+ and with it much improvement next year, but still wouldnt take him quite this high
26 Brandon Morrow, TOR ooooh wheres mweir? also gambooooool?
27 Anibal Sanchez, FLA seems fine
35 Bud Norris, HOU nice K's, but ya lolAstros and ugly whip
36 Max Sherzer, DET F U Max. thats all i have to say about that.
39 Wandy Rodriguez, HOU dont really see a problem with this either. except of course lolAstros

40 Shaun Marcum, MIL pitched well above his talent to open the year, seemed to wear down at the end of the year (shorter outings and K's disappeared), and was pretty bad for the final month. he is really more of a fantasy #3 or so imo, so this rank is not too out of line
41 Tommy Hanson, ATL shoulder injury - at this point who knows if hes even healthy to open the season
42 Scott Baker, MIN see above
48 Hiroki Kuroda, LAD always posts decent ratios, never stikes anyone out, doesnt win many games.
57 Corey Luebke, SD could be very good next year, probably too low but still unproven. also likely to be a H2H playoff noshow like JZimm this year (btw check out my post on him wrveres, im curious what your thoughts are on him)
65 Jordan Zimmerman, WAS agreed, should be higher
66 Doug Fister, DET no idea what to make of him... went from medicore/no K's in seattle to unhittable with a rediculpous K rate in Detroit. prob should be higher though
71 Brett Anderson, OAK coming off TJ surgery. who knows how much hell even pitch next year or when/if he'll be ready at all
76 Ryan Vogelsong, SF ya this is just disrespectful lol. i missed vog in my post above.should be in the 35-40 range imo

Also ..
15 James Shields, TB
16 Matt Garza, CHC
glad to see you're buying into those career years i think these 2 rankings are dead on to be honest. i would not be surprised AT ALL to see Garza put up a Shields'11 type year next season.
Garza had a better K% (23.5 vs 20.2)
better K/9 (8.95 vs 7.53)
better SwStr% (11.2 vs 10.1
identical GB% (~46%)
better FIP (2.95 vs 3.42)
and not thats its fnatasy relevant, but identical WAR (5)
Shields pitched ~50 more innings which is undoubtebly very valuable, but otherwise Garza was better or similar in almost every rate stat. The difference is that Garza had a career worst BABIP (.306) while Shields had a career best (.258)(
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 190)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:50 am

I'll probably take Josh Johnson over Dallas Braden
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:07 pm

markj11 wrote:I'll probably take Josh Johnson over Dallas Braden

:-b
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby Tavish » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:16 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Tavish wrote:Sounds good.

3 out of 5 wins. With one of the categories (SBs) being a virtual lock for Lawrie, I don't anticipate having much difficulty winning this bet. Even if Moustakas is as good a hitter as Lawrie in 2012 (and his plate discipline and swing stats at the MLB level suggest he's not there yet), he's still going to have trouble putting up the necessary counting stats to beat Lawrie. Lawrie will simply be hitting in the middle of a better lineup in a much more offensive park. The only thing that might stop him is in an injury (and the guy does play the kind of ultra-intense game where he might get hurt).

Just as an update so I don't forget when Lawrie goes on a tear and puts this thing away:

Moose - .286-2-7-8-0
Lawrie - .292-2-9-11-2

Moose is hanging in there so far. I think the 2 SB should be enough to wrap that cat up for the season.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:24 pm

Tavish wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Tavish wrote:Sounds good.

3 out of 5 wins. With one of the categories (SBs) being a virtual lock for Lawrie, I don't anticipate having much difficulty winning this bet. Even if Moustakas is as good a hitter as Lawrie in 2012 (and his plate discipline and swing stats at the MLB level suggest he's not there yet), he's still going to have trouble putting up the necessary counting stats to beat Lawrie. Lawrie will simply be hitting in the middle of a better lineup in a much more offensive park. The only thing that might stop him is in an injury (and the guy does play the kind of ultra-intense game where he might get hurt).

Just as an update so I don't forget when Lawrie goes on a tear and puts this thing away:

Moose - .286-2-7-8-0
Lawrie - .292-2-9-11-2

Moose is hanging in there so far. I think the 2 SB should be enough to wrap that cat up for the season.

Lawrie hasn't started hitting for line drive power yet, a lot of singles so far. I suspect that it's coming, though, that's his game. The more worrisome thing with him is that he's expanded his zone quite a bit from what it was last year and is swinging at a lot more balls. We'll soon see whether that's a product of a mini-slump or something more.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Tavish » Wed May 30, 2012 9:59 am

The almost monthly update:

Both Lawrie and Moose are coming off excellent games that followed up not so excellent stretches. I'm assuming the tirade and suspension is going to light Lawrie's fire and he will start ripping the cover off the ball. He already has the steal category locked up and he may have already beaten what will be Moose's career SB total.

Moose .273 - 22 - 8 - 23 - 1
Lawrie .283 - 23 - 3 - 20 - 7

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Inukchuk » Wed May 30, 2012 10:43 am

Tavish wrote:The almost monthly update:

Both Lawrie and Moose are coming off excellent games that followed up not so excellent stretches. I'm assuming the tirade and suspension is going to light Lawrie's fire and he will start ripping the cover off the ball. He already has the steal category locked up and he may have already beaten what will be Moose's career SB total.

Regardless of how this finishes, I think it's becoming clear that Moustakas wasn't hyped enough in the offseason.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Tavish wrote:The almost monthly update:

Moose has gotten the power stroke going as of late. Lawrie at the top of the Jays lineup is giving him a nice boost in Runs and the BA is slowly creeping towards .300. A side note, BB-Ref's system thinks Lawrie is the second coming of Brooks Robinson. Not really seeing many of his games, has his defense really been THAT good to where he has been the most valuable AL player (according to WAR) this season even with a average at best bat?

Moose .277 - 37 - 13 - 38 - 2
Lawrie .290 - 45 - 7 - 29 - 11

*edit* average at best is probably selling the bat a little short. His .331 wOBA does put him over the league average of .315. Moose is currently sitting at .361 and has been playing some amazing defense of his own.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Izenhart » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Brooks Robinson's bat wasn't that great either. He was good but no stud.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 531)

Postby Tavish » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Its homestretch time for the Moose v Lawrie battle. And it all comes down to a one cat battle...

Lawrie - .275 BA - 9 HR - 44 RBI - 13 SB
Moose - .246 BA - 20 HR - 71 RBI - 5 SB

So it is 2 to 2 with only runs up in the air. And as of right now they both have 66 runs. Should be a heck of a battle over the last 10 games.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers