VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Postby jfg » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm pretty scared about owning Bautista next year. I have no choice but to keep him, but his second half scares me.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 95)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:56 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Tavish wrote:Don't let the awful start to his pro career fool you. Moustakas can flat out rake and has as good a chance of becoming a top 5 fantasy 3B next season as Lawire does.

Except Moustakas doesn't have anywhere near the plate discipline, power, or speed that Lawrie has right now and is playing in an awful park for offense.


Eh, far too few major league ABs for either to definitively say who's going to be better next season. I'd agree with Tavish that either has the potential to break into the top 5. Admittedly, I'd give Lawrie the edge, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if Moose outpaced him for fantasy value next season.
Image
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4014
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Postby mweir145 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Tavish wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Tavish wrote:Don't let the awful start to his pro career fool you. Moustakas can flat out rake and has as good a chance of becoming a top 5 fantasy 3B next season as Lawire does.

Except Moustakas doesn't have anywhere near the plate discipline, power, or speed that Lawrie has right now and is playing in an awful park for offense.

Moustakas has plenty of power, probably as much as any 3B in baseball.

Yeah, he's right up there with Bautista, ARod, Beltre, Longoria, and Reynolds. ;-)

For standard 5X5 fantasy cats SB is probably the only one I would expect Lawrie to win in next season.

Want to bet? I have little doubt that Brett Lawrie will finish ahead of Moustakas in the majority of those categories.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Postby Tavish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:12 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Tavish wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Except Moustakas doesn't have anywhere near the plate discipline, power, or speed that Lawrie has right now and is playing in an awful park for offense.

Moustakas has plenty of power, probably as much as any 3B in baseball.

Yeah, he's right up there with Bautista, ARod, Beltre, Longoria, and Reynolds. ;-)

Yes, he is. There is a pretty good reason he has been considered a plus-plus power guy his entire career.
mweir145 wrote:
Tavish wrote:For standard 5X5 fantasy cats SB is probably the only one I would expect Lawrie to win in next season.

Want to bet? I have little doubt that Brett Lawrie will finish ahead of Moustakas in the majority of those categories.

Sure, what sort of stakes are you thinking?
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11067
(Past Year: 34)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Postby mweir145 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:14 pm

jfg wrote:I'm pretty scared about owning Bautista next year. I have no choice but to keep him, but his second half scares me.

I've been seeing this sentiment a lot lately and I just don't get it. What is scary about a .257/.419/.477 line since the AS break? The guy is the most patient hitter in baseball (by far) and finished with the league's highest isolated power rate for the second year in a row.

I mean...what's to be afraid of? That he's suddenly going to lose his plate discipline or his power for no reason at all? I can't help but think the original skepticism about Bautista is still beneath the surface for many, despite the fact that he has now hit like the best hitter in baseball for nearly 2.5 seasons. Doubt the guy at your own risk, I guess. It's burnt a lot of fantasy owners (including me).
Last edited by mweir145 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:14 pm

let it be a sig bet
Image
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 2150
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Postby mweir145 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Tavish wrote:Yes, he is. There is a pretty good reason he has been considered a plus-plus power guy his entire career.

Next you'll be telling me that Chris Davis has the most power in baseball for 1Bs.

Tavish wrote:Sure, what sort of stakes are you thinking?

SIG BET

Missed out on one of those this season. Aussie was too scared to bet on his A's (or we just never got around to doing it, I can't remember).
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Postby Tavish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:26 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Tavish wrote:Yes, he is. There is a pretty good reason he has been considered a plus-plus power guy his entire career.

Next you'll be telling me that Chris Davis has the most power in baseball for 1Bs.

Next you'll be telling me that because Lawrie hit 9 HRs in 150 ABs he clearly has more power than Moustakas. Oh wait, you already did that. Small sample size FTW!

mweir145 wrote:
Tavish wrote:Sure, what sort of stakes are you thinking?

SIG BET

Sounds good.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11067
(Past Year: 34)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:27 pm

mweir145 wrote:I mean...what's to be afraid of? That he's suddenly going to lose his plate discipline or his power for no reason at all? I can't help but think the original skepticism about Bautista is still beneath the surface for many, despite the fact that he has now hit like the best hitter in baseball for nearly 2.5 seasons. Doubt the guy at your own risk, I guess. It's burnt a lot of fantasy owners (including me).


Agreed. I'd have no reservations about grabbing him in the top half of round 1 next season.
Image
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4014
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: VERY EARLY 2012 Rankings

Postby mweir145 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Tavish wrote:Next you'll be telling me that because Lawrie hit 9 HRs in 150 ABs he clearly has more power than Moustakas. Oh wait, you already did that. Small sample size FTW!

Never said such a thing, but nice try propping up that straw man. I took the entirety of both of their careers (major and minor), age, and level of development into consideration when making the statement that Lawrie has more power. You were the one who ridiculously used Moustakas' MILB power rates to suggest that he has as much power as some of the most powerful sluggers to ever play the game.

Tavish wrote:Sounds good.

3 out of 5 wins. With one of the categories (SBs) being a virtual lock for Lawrie, I don't anticipate having much difficulty winning this bet. Even if Moustakas is as good a hitter as Lawrie in 2012 (and his plate discipline and swing stats at the MLB level suggest he's not there yet), he's still going to have trouble putting up the necessary counting stats to beat Lawrie. Lawrie will simply be hitting in the middle of a better lineup in a much more offensive park. The only thing that might stop him is in an injury (and the guy does play the kind of ultra-intense game where he might get hurt).
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact