Six-peat Complete! Thank You. Keeper Choices? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Six-peat Complete! Thank You. Keeper Choices? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Six-peat Complete! Thank You. Keeper Choices? WHIR

Postby sigriffey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:46 am

I just want to thank all of you for your help this season. Thanks to your advice on trades (made some 20 or so) and pick ups, I came back from losing the first four weeks of the season and being in 11th place in late May to taking the #1 playoff seed and going on to win my 6th consecutive fantasy baseball championship! Seriously, thanks for your help!

Now I have one more thing to ask. Who do you keep of the below if you can only keep 6? Except for Cargo, these guys can be kept for two more years. Ignore the player if he has an asterisk ... means he has to be thrown back.

12 Team H2H Daily with 6 Keepers Season to Season, each for 3 years max. * means contract year

Stat Cats: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG -- IP, CG, W, L, ER, ERA, K, SV, WHIP

MY TEAM

C V. Martinez
1B M. Cabrera
2B D. Pedroia
3B D. Wright
SS E. Bonifacio
OF J. Ellsbury
OF C. Crawford*
OF C. Beltran
UT P. Fielder
UT P. Sandoval
UT A. Rodriguez
BN C. Crisp
BN B. Revere
BN C. Gonzalez (1 year left)
DL B. Lawrie
DL H. Ramirez

SP R. Halladay
SP F. Hernandez
SP Z. Greinke*
RP J. Walden
RP M. Rivera
P J. Motte
P M. Cain*
P Y. Gallardo
BN R. Romero
BN C. Lewis
DL T. Hanson
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Six-peat Complete! Thank You. Keeper Choices? WHIR

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Sir Griffey,

Congrats on winning. But you may want to try a more difficult league. If you're playing with guys that let you accumulate that kind of talent, you're not being challenged.

1. Cabrera
2. Fielder
3. Pedroia
4. Ellsbury
5. C. Gonzalez
6. Halladay

Toughest decision is Felix vs. Cargo. I've never played in a league with those stat categories. I assume Felix's CGs are valuable, but he also loses a lot of games. And there's the whole one more year thing with Cargo.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby sigriffey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:26 pm

hoopsgalnyc wrote:Sir Griffey,

Congrats on winning. But you may want to try a more difficult league. If you're playing with guys that let you accumulate that kind of talent, you're not being challenged.

1. Cabrera
2. Fielder
3. Pedroia
4. Ellsbury
5. C. Gonzalez
6. Halladay

Toughest decision is Felix vs. Cargo. I've never played in a league with those stat categories. I assume Felix's CGs are valuable, but he also loses a lot of games. And there's the whole one more year thing with Cargo.

For the sake of argument, one could make the case that Victor Martinez or Hanley Ramirez holds more value than Cargo given the one more year and wrist concerns. But is Hanley too much of a risk at this point? And is Victor due for some decline? He and Miggy were unstoppable together in my lineup. Just 2-4/3-4 machines who collectively ammassed doubles, homers and rbis like crazy. Also got on base and knocked their share of singles. But to your point, Cargo is great too with his SB and HR.
I'm honestly a bit concerned with Felix ... he took a step back this year. He is younger than Roy though.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Sir Griffey,

After the turd that Hanley just put up, I wouldn't keep him over Cargo. Cargo put up 2nd round quality #s even though he missed time. Hanley started regressing in 2010 (100 point drop in OPS vs. 2009), not 2011.

I think you have to keep Cargo for pure production vs. V. Martinez. We're talking about a 5 category guy vs. a 2 category guy. (Yes, I know, you're not in a 5x5 league. It's just for comparative purposes.) And Martinez is 7 years older with an inflated BABIP this year.

Not keeping Halladay would be asinine. I don't care how old he is.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby sigriffey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:25 pm

hoopsgalnyc wrote:Sir Griffey,

After the turd that Hanley just put up, I wouldn't keep him over Cargo. Cargo put up 2nd round quality #s even though he missed time. Hanley started regressing in 2010 (100 point drop in OPS vs. 2009), not 2011.

I think you have to keep Cargo for pure production vs. V. Martinez. We're talking about a 5 category guy vs. a 2 category guy. (Yes, I know, you're not in a 5x5 league. It's just for comparative purposes.) And Martinez is 7 years older with an inflated BABIP this year.

Not keeping Halladay would be asinine. I don't care how old he is.

Any concern over Cargo's wrist? That is one reason I hesitate a bit. Seems like a pretty ongoing nagging thing with him. On the other hand, the guy tore it up in between wrist aggravations this year.

I assume you agree that dumping Wright and A-Rod is a wise move.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby sigriffey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Also, can you explain how I interpret these figures? I have a rough understanding of BABIP, but can you articulate it a bit more for me?

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?pl ... &type=full
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby bayside » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:53 am

sigriffey wrote:Any concern over Cargo's wrist? That is one reason I hesitate a bit. Seems like a pretty ongoing nagging thing with him.

no concerns.
he keeps hurting it because he keeps crashing into walls. i wouldnt expect that to continue on yearly basis and he should be 100% by spring training.
Cargo contributes in every offensive category you can think of. Keeping a lesser player wouldnt make sense even considering the "scarcity paradox". (and really, i believe scarcity is mostly over compensated for. it doesnt matter where your production comes from so long as you get it).
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:31 am

1B M. Cabrera
2B D. Pedroia
3B D. Wright
SS H. Ramirez
OF J. Ellsbury
OF C. Gonzalez
UT P. Fielder
I'd keep these above.

Yes not keeping Halladay would be assinine however, the problem is with fewer than 8 keepers unless your in a pitching heavy league OR you have your team built around your pitching staff I prefer to keep top bats.

viewtopic.php?t=437080
viewtopic.php?t=437079
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1928)

Postby sigriffey » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:39 pm

MadDog36 wrote:1B M. Cabrera
2B D. Pedroia
3B D. Wright
SS H. Ramirez
OF J. Ellsbury
OF C. Gonzalez
UT P. Fielder
I'd keep these above.

Yes not keeping Halladay would be assinine however, the problem is with fewer than 8 keepers unless your in a pitching heavy league OR you have your team built around your pitching staff I prefer to keep top bats.

viewtopic.php?t=437080
viewtopic.php?t=437079

Well, I can only keep 6, so one of those 7 would have to go.

Is it just me, or is David Wright a bit of a fantasy bum now? I didn't draft him (got him via trade for Konerko in late August), but Wright was about as bad as Crawford for me. Can I really in good conscience keep him over Halladay or even Hanley? Not arguing, just would love some further insights on it.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby MrAccoe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:25 pm

How did you get such a good team? In a 12 team league? You probably have 7 1st-2nd round picks (2010 Draft)...

Anyway, I can't argue with MadDog's list, however it would be tough for me to leave off both Halladay and Hernandez even with only 6 keepers.
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions