Help with final 2 keepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Help with final 2 keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby medium_robin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:00 pm

Need help picking my final 2 keepers. I'm already keeping Ellsbury, McCutchen, Upton and Stanton.

2 more spots for...Beltre, Hosmer, Castro or Montero. I can't decide!!! Help!!

100% WHIR. Leave a link.
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help with final 2 keepers

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:41 pm

Hosmer and Castro. It's a very tough decision between the second one though, I would just like to already have a stud SS.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437021

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:54 pm

medium robin,

thanks for answering my post. i'm not going to keep michael young. it sounds like if you had to choose, you'd keep lester over kennedy, which is the decision i'm trying to make. why lester?

regarding your keepers, beltre is a must. 30 HR 3bs don't grow on trees these days.

my second choice is castro. versus other shortstops, he's above-average in batting average and runs, and average in the other 3 categories. he's ranked 49th overall in the yahoo game. he improved markedly in SBs and power-hitting in 2011 vs. 2010. i would bet on further improvement in 2012 as he physically matures. he's only 21.

montero is tough to leave off. obviously, catcher is a position with few offensive standouts. but he's not catcher-eligible and i bet the yanks re-sign martin. i'd like to see if the yanks have him catching a lot in spring training and/or make statements regarding his role on the team in 2011. it wouldn't surprise me if they just made montero the full-time DH. if montero's a DH, castro is definitely the superior choice. if montero's a catcher, castro has a good chance of being the superior choice, anyway. castro's already really good, and should improve in 2012.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby medium_robin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:10 pm

hoopsgalnyc wrote:medium robin,

thanks for answering my post. i'm not going to keep michael young. it sounds like if you had to choose, you'd keep lester over kennedy, which is the decision i'm trying to make. why lester?

regarding your keepers, beltre is a must. 30 HR 3bs don't grow on trees these days.

montero is tough to leave off. obviously, catcher is a position with few offensive standouts. but he's not catcher-eligible and i bet the yanks re-sign martin. i'd like to see if the yanks have him catching a lot in spring training and/or make statements regarding his role on the team in 2011. it wouldn't surprise me if they just made montero the full-time DH. if montero's a DH, castro is definitely the superior choice. if montero's a catcher, castro has a good chance of being the superior choice, anyway. castro's already really good, and should improve in 2012.

I'd keep Lester due to track record. I think the upside of both is about the same, so go with the more proven.

By the way, the Montero I have is Miguel (C-Ari). Not sure of that changes anything.

I'm surprised people aren't higher on Beltre. Am I crazy for thinking he's almost a 30/100 lock at 3B next season?!
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:14 pm

medium_robin wrote:

I'd keep Lester due to track record. I think the upside of both is about the same, so go with the more proven.

By the way, the Montero I have is Miguel (C-Ari). Not sure of that changes anything.

I'm surprised people aren't higher on Beltre. Am I crazy for thinking he's almost a 30/100 lock at 3B next season?!

You got a point, to have a player like Beltre at 3B would be a huge plus, especially since he is apart of the Rangers lineup. It's just hard to decide between him and Castro. If you like Beltre then go with him and Hosmer for sure.

please help with mine:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437021

ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:24 pm

medium robin,

well, then the choice is clear, beltre and castro.

i think there is a WIDE gap between them and hosmer.

i think hosmer is likely to to be better than the average 1b in two categories (average and SB), and below average in the power categories. obviously, you don't draft a first baseman for stolen bases.

don't get me wrong, i like hosmer, it's just that the other two are clear choices--better players at skill positions.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:25 pm

well, then the choice is clear, beltre and castro.

i think there is a WIDE gap between them and hosmer.

i think hosmer is likely to to be better than the average 1b in two categories (average and SB), and below average in the power categories. obviously, you don't draft a first baseman for stolen bases.

don't get me wrong, i like hosmer, it's just that the other two are clear choices--better players at skill positions.

Very good point.

ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby medium_robin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks guys!!
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:46 am

Beltre and Castro for me.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1942)

Postby dinordi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Keeper leagues are all about projected performance. Joey Votto hit .297 w/ 24 homers at 24yrs old, Eric Hosmer hit .293 w/ 19 homers at 21yrs old. The Cubs should continue to surround Starlin Castro with talent, as they are annually among the league leaders in payroll. A table-setting leadoff hitter and a prototypical cleanup hitter solidifies the core of your franchise for the extended future. Beltre has already reached his peak, and is ten years older than both Hosmer and Castro. IMO, ten extra years of control over a stud is priceless. Not high on Miguel Montero or most NL catchers, due to their inability to play at DH on their days off behind the plate.

Hope this helps.

BTW, Votto stole 16 bags last year but teams adjusted this season. As he develops physically, Hosmer will not contribute with double digit steals again.
"The euphoria of unwrapping a new team will soon fade, replaced by the long grind of playing a chess match that takes six months."
dinordi
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions