Help with 2012 Keepers WHIR 100% - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Help with 2012 Keepers WHIR 100%

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Help with 2012 Keepers WHIR 100%

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:45 pm

So it seems like everyone thinks Marcum is worth a 6th round pick next year? I wasn't sure if he would be, and he has a lot of health issues so that's what mainly concerned me.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:06 pm

you know, i forgot to include marcum on my list. i think he's a push. i think in a real-life draft, 6th round is a bit steep for him, because i don't like paying up for pitching. he's 77th overall in the yahoo game, so that's just about 6th round. his FIP is also 3.64, above his ERA, which suggests some regression next year, because why do the brewers play good D for him but not grienke (FIP a run lower than his ERA)?

keeping marcum probably comes down to how much pitching gets kept in your league. if there are a lot of good pitchers available, then definitely don't keep him.

in absolute terms, gun to my head, i say don't keep him. but i wouldn't think you were making a big mistake if you did.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby MrAccoe » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Piggy backing on everyone else, I think 6th round is too steep for Marcum... He was already overvalued in some drafts this season, he had a good season, not great. I'd keep him if he was in the 8-9 range.

Reyes, Beachy and Cueto are your only definite keepers...

Napoli maybe... but I don't normally draft a catcher until way past round 10. The home runs are nice but is are they worth a 10th round pick?

Some of your prospects are interesting, but I'd keep them only if you really wanted them. Depends on your league, but I know that some of those guys at the back end of your team aren't even owned in my 12 team league. I'd rather draft guys that I know are going to play next year and contribute instead of keeping guys that may or may not even be on a major league roster next season.
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:27 pm

What do y'all think about Brandon Morrow in the 8th round? I normally try to stay away from pitchers that are in the AL east but his K Rate is kind of hard to ignore.

And should I grab Peacock since he is practically a guarantee to be in the Nationals rotation next year?

ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MrAccoe » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Morrow is a borderline in the 8th, if anything he had high expectations and I don't think he met them this season. I believe he went in the 10th in my league. Given the options, I'd rather have Marcum in the 6th than Morrow in the 8th... Though I don't think you should keep either of them.

Honestly don't know anything about Brad Peacock except that besides for this year, he hasn't been that great in the minors. Looks like his k/9 was hovering around 6 until 2010, when it jumped up to 9.0 and over 10.0 this year.
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:26 pm

I also have a chance at getting Yonder Alonso, I am just worried about him getting enough playing time next season.

Jerry Sands is also available, so between him and Yonder who should I go for? or should I drop Mayberry and pick both of them up?

ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JJGBPD » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Napoli
Beachy
Cueto
Marcum
Reyes

Those are the ones I would keep!
JJGBPD
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fast dogs » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:23 am

I guess my question is, how much value do these young guys really have in being kept in a 12 teamer? Couldn't most of these rooks or soph's be redrafted about that spot again? Where was Hosmer drafted this year? At what point in the draft do you stop taking starters and go for prospects; how many prospects do most teams carry. Do you regularly play backups or do you fill your bench with guys you hope will step up in the 2nd half? Not sure how your league is set up with bench spots, roster size.etc; which is why I think you need to keep more sure things and not worry about holding late round rookies
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 320)

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:28 am

Morrow in the 8th is a terrible idea. So many people get seduced by the K-rate, and completely forget the fact that his ERA and WHIP stink and he's never won more than 11 games.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions