Bumgarner or Mike Trout:Which to Keep? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Bumgarner or Mike Trout:Which to Keep? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bumgarner or Mike Trout:Which to Keep? WHIR

Postby DLRBusiness » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:12 am

Hey Everybody,
Any help would be great. 12 man H2H keeper league. we keep 13 players. i'm already keeping 3 outfielders(alex gordon, j upton, j bruce,) and 3 starting pitchers(kershaw, hellickson, m moore.) for my last spot should i keep bumgarner or trout? bumgarner is good but pitchers are somehwat easy to come by. and trout is a great prospect but i don't want him to turn into another brandon wood. thoughts? Thanks for any help.
DLRBusiness
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bumgarner or Mike Trout:Which to Keep? WHIR

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Trout you don't have any 1b/2b/3b keepers?
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1931)

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 pm

I would keep Trout out of those two options.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437021

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guzman24 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20 am

If I'm cutting a pitcher it's going to be Hellickson. Nice peripherals but he doesn't strike anyone out. He was also a bit lucky this season. I had Bumgarner on my team this year and he was awesome in the second half and actually finished close to being a top 20SP. Considering how brutal his start was I think he could quite easily be in the top 15 next season.

In all honesty I would throw back Trout (no pun intended :-b ) He just hasn't proven anything yet.
If you need to fill your MI slots you can always trade away one of your young arms for someone a lot more proven.

Good luck and check out mine if you can
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437112
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:33 am

Keep Trout. Bumgarner is what he is which is a nice SP but limited upside. Trout has huge upside and you have enough depth to take a small risk and keep the young player. Trout has the upside of a top 10 player, you can't let that go.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 301)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:45 pm

MaudDib wrote:Keep Trout. Bumgarner is what he is which is a nice SP but limited upside. Trout has huge upside and you have enough depth to take a small risk and keep the young player. Trout has the upside of a top 10 player, you can't let that go.

Bumgarner has a limited upside? He just threw more than 200 innings with an 8.40 K/9 and a 2 BB/9 as a 21 year old. He had the 4th best FIP and 7th best xFIP in all of baseball. His wins may be a bit hurt by the Giants offense, but I'd hardly say this upside is limited.

I don't know what your rules for keepers are, but there's no way I'd keep Hellickson or Moore over Bumgarner if you have the option. If it has to be between Bumgarner and Trout, I'd keep Bumgarner every time.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby fast dogs » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:43 pm

I believe what he was saying is he already has 3 OF & 3 SP in his 12 keepers, not that he doesn't have infielders. What are the Angels going to do with Bourjas & Morales? Hunter and Wells and Abreu all back again? You already have 3 starting OF, how many OF spots does your league use? Posey back and pitching in the NL West, Bumgarner makes my top 13 for sure. Trout or Moore get "Bum"ped
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 261)

Postby bayside » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:18 pm

How many Keepers do you get?
If its more than the 7 you mentioned then list them all so we can see who else is on your roster.
OP is slightly confusing.

Before you make any decisions on Trout you should know that Bumgarner is way better than Hellickson.
Helly's K rate should improve based on his swinging strike rate, but it still wont be as good as Bum's.
And Hellicksons ERA will likely not be anywhere near this year's 2.95
Just for comparison, here are some 2011 stats:
Hell....stat.....Bum
15.1....K%......22.5
5.57....K/9.....8.4
3.43....BB/9....2.02
35%.....GB%.....46%
4.44....FIP......2.67
189......IP......205
1.4.....WAR....5.5
I would do MLB career stats but then Bumgarner would just look like the big kid bullying the toddler at the playground.

Bumgarner is clearly the better pitcher in every measurable way. Hes also nearly 2 years younger than Hellickson, has a better frame, and has the potential to be the one of the very best 8-10 pitchers in MLB. I dont think you can say the same thing about Hellickson.

if you guy have a chance please check out my Pineda/Beachy keeper thread?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437077
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MaudDib » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:30 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
MaudDib wrote:Keep Trout. Bumgarner is what he is which is a nice SP but limited upside. Trout has huge upside and you have enough depth to take a small risk and keep the young player. Trout has the upside of a top 10 player, you can't let that go.

Bumgarner has a limited upside? He just threw more than 200 innings with an 8.40 K/9 and a 2 BB/9 as a 21 year old. He had the 4th best FIP and 7th best xFIP in all of baseball. His wins may be a bit hurt by the Giants offense, but I'd hardly say this upside is limited.

I don't know what your rules for keepers are, but there's no way I'd keep Hellickson or Moore over Bumgarner if you have the option. If it has to be between Bumgarner and Trout, I'd keep Bumgarner every time.

When I say limited upside I mean I don't see him getting much better than what he is. He might because of his age but I don't see anything in his repertoire that shows take much of a step forward.

I could see taking him over Hellickson but not Trout. With this many keepers you probably won't be able to get him back in the draft. Sometimes you need to risk and this is one that should pay off.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 301)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:01 am

MaudDib wrote:When I say limited upside I mean I don't see him getting much better than what he is. He might because of his age but I don't see anything in his repertoire that shows take much of a step forward.

I could see taking him over Hellickson but not Trout. With this many keepers you probably won't be able to get him back in the draft. Sometimes you need to risk and this is one that should pay off.

he doesn't need to take a step forward, he already has the peripherals of a top 10 starter and is only 21 years old. taking a step forward would put him at cy young caliber and he definitely has age on his side. i can't see passing him up for a guy with very little major league experience, even if he is as highly touted as trout. no way in hell i'd pass him up for hellickson.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions