Taking stock after a rough season - WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Taking stock after a rough season - WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Taking stock after a rough season - WHIR

Postby plapre3 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:47 pm

It's been rough: Hanley, Choo, Dunn, Rios, and others really screwed me this year. I tried my best to do triage on the keeper situation, but even still, I'm not happy with what I have headed into the offseason. I'm putting this post out there in hopes that you all can help my analyze my team and better plan for the offseason. I realize that this is a different type of request, but I'd greatly appreciate the help and will do the same for you even if it's not something that you are not putting out there.

First, what I did in the way of triage... I've loaded my roster so that every player has a chance, however small in some cases, at being a keeper. We can keep a minimum of 5 players and a maximum of 10, losing a pock for each kept after 5. So, if I were to keep 5 while everyone else kept 10, I'd have the first 5 picks in the remaining talent pool (which includes 2011 June draftees like Bauer). If I keep all 10, a player would have to be considered at least a top 140 pick in a typical keeper draft (which is pretty deep and why I think guys like Niese are worth having on roster). I took all available relievers who could end up closers and other players whose value could rise with increased playing time as similar fringe 140 guys. I also stocked up on as many players who would be free keepers according to our league settings. It is my hope that I will be able to use this free keeper stockpile to make my trades a little more enticing.

I'm looking for feedback on a few things.
My teacher side (Global History) wants to scaffold a look at the team, but feel free to break from the suggestions below:
1) How bad is the damage?
- Do a SWOT analysis? Identify what you think my teams Strengths and Weaknesses are and then identify Opportunities or Threats that might exist (like predicting the future and telling me who this years Hanley, Dunn, Choo, and Rios will be...)
2) Ideas on strategies in the offseason
- Rank my keepers and free keeper options, then decide which pieces I should move.
- Considering rankings, which players will have most value? Consider opportunity cost of free keepers... sure, we can easily say that Goldschmidt is better than Blanks, but might I be better off dealing the former considering I have an in-house replacement?
- Should I aim for less or more keepers?
3) Identify my outlook for next year:
- Am I a rebuilding team? Should I sell my aging talent or can I compete next year without mortgaging the future?

--------------------------------------------------
6x6 weekly HtH 14 team roto keeper (bet. 5 and 10 keepers losing a draft pick for each after 5)

Offensive Categories:
BA, OPS, RBI, HR, SB and Runs Scored.
Pitching Categories:
W-L, S, ERA, K/IP, Quality Starts and WHIP
----------------------------------------------------

Definite Keepers:
Prince Fielder, Ian Kinsler, Hanley Ramirez (ugh), Roy Halladay, Jon Lester, Jered Weaver, Yovanni Gallardo

Guys I'm questioning/ considering:
Kevin Youkilis, Shin Soo-Choo, Corey Luebke, Danny Espinosa

Longshot guys:
C - Geovany Soto and Jarrod Saltalamacchia
OF - Jose Tabata, Marcus Thames, J.D. Matinez, Dexter Fowler
SP - Jon Niese
RP - Bobby Parnell, Sean Marshall, Luke Gregerson, Tyler Clippard

Free keepers (but can only keep 5):
Close to majors: Paul Goldschmidt, Brandon Belt, Henderson Alvarez, Brad Peacock, Zach Cozart, Kyle Blanks, Robbie Erlin
Further away: Jurickson Profar, Jacob Marisnick, Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Taking stock after a rough season - WHIR

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:53 pm

1b Prince Fielder
2b Ian Kinsler,
3b Kevin Youkilis
SS Hanley Ramirez
MI Danny Espinosa
OF Shin Shoo-Choo
OF Jose Tabata
SPx3
Roy Halladay
Jon Lester
Jered Weaver

Paul Goldschmidt, Brandon Belt, Zach Cozart, Kyle Blanks, Jurickson Profar
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1943)

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:07 pm

plapre,

please take a look at my post. i am deciding between keeping lester vs. kennedy (not michael young). please lmk your thoughts and why.

i think that the keepers you selected are correct and i'd also add youk. it's tough, because he's injury-prone, but 3b is such a wasteland. any 3b with .290/20-25/90/90 potential (i'm accounting for DL time) is worth keeping.

re: minor leaguers:

definitely profar and walker. both are going to be top 20 overall in baseball america next year and about half of pundits think that profar is the top overall SS prospect. walker throws 98 and kicked butt this year.

i'd also keep franklin (very good double A season and young for the level), goldschmidt (next year's trumbo?), and erlin (not great at AA, but was young for the level and scouts like him).

pass on belt (maybe a 20 HR guy in the majors), cozart (old and baker doesn't like rookies), and the rest.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:10 pm

MadDog36 wrote:1b Prince Fielder
2b Ian Kinsler,
3b Kevin Youkilis
SS Hanley Ramirez
MI Danny Espinosa
OF Shin Shoo-Choo
OF Jose Tabata
SPx3
Roy Halladay
Jon Lester
Jered Weaver

Paul Goldschmidt, Brandon Belt, Zach Cozart, Kyle Blanks, Jurickson Profar

I completely agree with this list. Would consider taking Luebke over Choo or Blanks though. Since Luebke is a young pitcher and a stud. Also I am a big fan of Cozart, and fully expect him to be the Red's SS next year. So having a SS in that potent of a lineup should be a great addition.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437021

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby redsoxsucker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:15 pm

I have two leagues and one of my teams is a LOT like this one (needless to say I didn't fare so well in that league - thank goodness for the other one)

As far as strengths/weaknesses, you definitely have question marks. You HAVE to keep Hanley, but if you can get any value for him I would trade him. SOMEBODY in your league probably still considers him highly. I think you have too many "good" players with health issues (Youk, Choo, Gallardo, often Kinsler), but I'm unsure what you can do about it other than try to trade at least couple.

Who would I keep? Something like this:
Prince Fielder
Ian Kinsler
Hanley Ramirez
Youk
Choo

Roy Halladay,
Jon Lester,
Jered Weaver
but NOT Yovanni Gallardo - Dude just can't stay on field and good at same time

I actually might consider Bobby Parnell

Free keepers - if you can keep 5 at no cost to your draft, I go with: