Lester or Kennedy in a keeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Lester or Kennedy in a keeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Lester or Kennedy in a keeper?

Postby medium_robin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:12 pm

I'd keep one of your pitchers...probably Lester, over Young. Young will be one of the easiest to draft back next year. His numbers are good but not top-of-the-draft great. Lester is the sexy pick, but Kennedy might be the savvy pick. I wouldn't keep both though, because keeping pitching year-over-year is tricky. We know enough about Lester to think he'll be fine every year for a while.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437025
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:02 pm

I would go with Ian Kennedy since I expect him to have very similar numbers next year. He is in a more pitcher friendly division then Lester. And I really hate having fantasy pitchers that are in the AL East unless it's Sabathia or Beckett.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437021

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 325)

Postby MrAccoe » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Just throwing some stats out:

Lester's k/9 has gone down the last three years, at the same time, his WHIP has gone up, albeit slightly. His k/bb has also gone down the last 3 years as well. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Jon Lester, but for people who think he hasn't reached his potential, his stats have relatively stayed the same over the past 3 seasons, and if anything, he is regressing ever so slightly...

I don't know if this means anything at all, but you kind of know what you're going to get out of Lester. Kennedy on the other hand has come out of nowhere and definitely had the better seasons while staying healthy all year long. Dominated the NL West this year: 10-0, 2.17 ERA, 1.022 WHIP.

Either of them are good options, but in the end, I'd still take Lester only because I have an unnatural man-love for that guy... plus I'd take the safer choice, which is Lester.
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:10 pm

MrAccoe,

Thanks. I love people who use stats in their replies.

I went one step farther.

I would never start Lester against the Yankees, and never have in all of the years I've had him on my team. This year, he has a 2.98 ERA and a 1.17 WHIP against the rest of the teams he's faced. But you are right, his K-rate is down quite a bit this year, and his walks are up.

It's a tough choice. Ugh. If Kennedy had one more good season under his belt, I'd be keeping him.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby MrAccoe » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:20 pm

The one season I owned Lester, before I started my keeper league, I used the same strategy. Avoid the Yankees starts.
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby grammysboy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:58 am

fast dogs wrote:I guess the only other way to go would be keep both and don't keep Hamilton. He is "only" going to go 25/100/300 with less than 10 sb's and you could have received that from all 3 KC OF'ers more or less. Hamilton is always going to have more risk than most. The safest and smartest route is just keep Lester over Kennedy, but depending how many OF you start this would be the only other option that allows you to keep both aces and eliminate the biggest injury risk of your keepers

This is what is meant by "thinking out of the box." Let me take it one step further. Wins in fantasy are so random that any time you can get true aces cheap you should. So...Lester and Kennedy are both aces and if possible you keep them. It sounds crazy to say "drop Hamilton to keep them," but dogs is right, he does spend time on the DL every year.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bayside » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:59 am

Think about it like this:
of the guys you are considering as your final keeper, which one would you have the best shot at redrafting?
I believe thats Kennedy because nobody is going to draft him if Lester is still available. so he'd be the guy i cut.
You just have to think about your draft position and which other playerss will be available.

btw, thanks for the help on mine ;-D
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 190)

Postby onitapgr » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:49 pm

I would keep Lester over Kennedy
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:37 am

Lester over Kennedy
Kennedy over Hamilton is nuts
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby StealingHome » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:09 am

kailromanoff wrote:I would keep the same 6. Lester vs. Kennedy is close. Kennedy is an NLwest pitcher which is far more appealing than an ALeast pitcher, but imo Lester's history vs Kennedy's lack of one is the tiebreaker. I wouldn't consider keeping Kennedy over Tex though

hoops,

That's for the help with mine. I tend to agree with the above. It's hard to envision Kennedy any better than he is now, while Lester has been pretty consistent. And in most drafts, you're going to see Lester chosen earlier than Young. So, I think you are on track.

Thanks again!
StealingHome
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions