Start Matt Moore tonight? Keeper League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Start Matt Moore tonight? Keeper League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Start Matt Moore tonight? Keeper League

Postby DanSDMF » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:52 am

I'm in 1st place in tight race for my AL only Roto league. Right now I'm in the lead by 1.5 points with close races in K's, W's, ERA and Whip. Should I gamble the future of my team and activate Moore for his start against NYY tonight?

He was drafted as a minor leaguer with a 5 dollar salary and a 3 year contract. His contract starts once he is activated to my Roto team's roster.

By activating him it would cost me the following:
A) The first year of his 3 year contract for basically 1 or 2 starts this season.
B) A roster spot for one of my keepers at next years draft, if he is kept as a minor leaguer he would not take up a roster spot and his salary would not count against my salary cap. I could use his spot to either draft someone with the intention of trading them or draft someone for $1 to drop after the draft, activate Moore and use the extra $4 elsewhere.

The difference between 1st and 2nd place is $240 cash and a championship bobblehead that will likely arrive with it's head popped off in the mail.
DanSDMF
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Start Matt Moore tonight? Keeper League

Postby fast dogs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:05 pm

thats a pretty good sized penalty you'll have to pay for maybe 1 start. Of course if he gets you 5 K's and that ends up being the margin of victory for you he'd be well worth it. I'm a big fan of win now if you have the chance; you could be middle of the pack next year. I think it comes down to how much good some K's will do, any word if he'll the another start the final couple days if the Rays are eliminated; and maybe the lineup NYY rolls out there tonight. Only you know the exact standings and scheduled pitchers the rest of the year.I know I wouldn't want to spend the offseason knowing I'd won if I'd only have used my rookie...
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)

Re: Start Matt Moore tonight? Keeper League

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Absolutely not. Even if you didn't have the penalties you described for starting him, he's facing the best offense in baseball. Starting pitchers against the Yankees rarely results in a good start (fantasy-wise). Plus, Moore has been shaky since being called up.

By the way, I have Moore as a minor league keeper myself, so I love him. But bad idea to start him vs. NYY.

Please check out my post in the keeper league forum. Thanks in advance.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions