Crawford vs Victorino as a keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Crawford vs Victorino as a keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Crawford vs Victorino as a keeper

Postby medium_robin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:07 pm

If it's a league where you lose a pick in the round of your keeper, then keep Victorino (you probably took him in the middle rounds). If it's straight-up keeper league (keep any x number of players), keep Crawford. I've heard that Crawford has hammy issues...and those don't go away if you don't rest completely. It's probably not enough to keep the media writing about it but it's gotta be effecting his numbers. He had a similar decline a few years ago and bounced right back from that.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=437025
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acapulco » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:48 pm

"how many guys are you keeping? the number must be high because i don't want to keep either of these guys. victorino is just not attractive enough and i have no clue how crawford will pan out. more details?"

Sorry, I thought I had posted that earlier. 5 keepers, 14 team league. This would be my 5th keeper. I inherited Crawford from the guy who had the team last year. I drafted Victorino later on. Victorino is probably the safer pick. And, I haven't heard anything about Crawford's hamstrings. Nobody on the Sox is preventing Crawford from running. If Pedroia can steal over 20 bases, Crawford should be stealing more than 40. His hamstring had nothing to do with his lousy fielding this year. Unless someone can give a good explanation about why this guy tailed off so dramatically, it may be wiser to pass on him as a keeper.
Thanks everyone for your input.
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby zooiiks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Unless someone can give a good explanation about why this guy tailed off so dramatically, it may be wiser to pass on him as a keeper.

Some possibilities outside the supposed hammy issues are that 1) he can't handle the pressure of Boston and 2) he can't handle the pressure of his contract

We've heard a zillion times how players "can't" play in NY because of the intense media scrutiny and fan expectations. Well, since 2004, Boston has become just as bad in that regard. When you have newspapers anointing you "Best Team Ever" before a pitch has even been thrown, I mean, come on. A move from TB where there's like no media and the fans are for the most part reserved? That's friggin' tough. Maybe he just one of those guys who can't handle playing in a big media market. Similarly, maybe he put too much pressure on himself because he's now making all this dough? Maybe he just has a fragile personality and if so, then these expectations that he's gonna suddenly bounce back to what he once was might heighten that fragility even more. I don't know if any of this is true, but it's sure POSSIBLE. Teams employ sports psychologists for a reason.

I'd keep Victorino. He's got speed, he's got power, plays in a dynamic lineup in a hitter's park and he rarely strikes out. I think he's vastly underrated. Plus Crawford and Victorino are the same age so IF Crawford does indeed have hammy issues, they could plague him the rest of his career.

Please help w/ mine! Thanks!

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=437095
zooiiks
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 38)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:01 pm

very well said zooiiks.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor