Auction/Keeper League Pickup/Drop Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Auction/Keeper League Pickup/Drop Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction/Keeper League Pickup/Drop Question

Postby adeehr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:02 am

Hey guys, I run a keeper league that uses dollar amounts at auction for our draft. The player values go up 25% from year to year if kept. So the base amount is $2 so it can go to $3 the next year, otherwise at $1 the value will never increase.

My question is actually in regards to picking up players and to see what others here think or what they do in thier leagues. Currently if a player is dropped he becomes a free agent and his value is washed to zero. So if he's claimed or picked up his value moves to $2. I've got a few teams (including mine) with some major injury issues this year and are complaining that they don't want to drop certain high value players so others in the league get them for $2 next year. Kendry Morales is an example. The guy doesn't want to drop him because someone could pick him up this year and stash him on the DL and have him next year for $2. So that owner leaves him on the bench. This poor guy has 6 players like that, just a bad year for him.

So how do you guys handle drops in this type of league? Do the players retain their auction value even if dropped? Or do they become a base value player if they hit the open market? Thoughts? Suggestions?
adeehr
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction/Keeper League Pickup/Drop Question

Postby mkultra » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:29 am

There's no "ideal" way to do it without a lot of work on the commish's behalf, I think. In my auction league (we use FAAB), players keep salary when dropped. It certainly helps the "stash a player for a cheap option next year" problem. However, it's occasionally annoying to have a player who's underperforming but still serviceable, yet no one wants to pick up because he's too expensive- in my league, for example, this means guys like Heyward, Rios, and Furcal.

In my perfect world, players would retain their salary through one round of waivers, then drop to the league minimum, more-or-less like the MLB. I know Sportsline doesn't support this- does Yahoo or ESPN?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 40)

Postby adeehr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:36 pm

ESPN is the site we use, and what I typically do to find players that were added at league minimum is print out the entire add/drop list from the site and go through and find those players. If I go with the player retains value through waivers I should be able to see when someone adds the player either through waivers or as a free agent. Then as a free agent the value drops to zero/$2.

It's more work for me, but I do most of that work anyway, it's just a matter of getting my players to understand the rules.
adeehr
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mkultra » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:40 pm

If you're going to do that, I'd say be careful about setting your team salary cap, since there are inevitably going to be times where a player's salary according to ESPN is going to be different than his salary according to your league rules.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AHF » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:56 pm

In my auction keeper league (which works with contracts of same value for a one year contract and $2/first year and $5/each subsequent year increase if you sign a player to a multi-year contract), players keep their salaries if they are drafted even if they are dropped. Players who are not drafted are $8.

I like this because it encourages people to draft prospects if they want cheap talent (rather than wait and pick them up midyear and get a windfall like a $1 or $2 Desmond Jennings who you didn't have to wait on) and it prevents people from taking advantage of an injury or other circumstance that causes a high $$ player to be dropped.

We have no in-season cap so there is no reason not to pick up a high $$ free agent unless he isn't performing so there is no discincentive to pick up Jason Heyward or someone who might be a higher $$ player but is underperforming.

The best thing it does, though, is allow for responsible managers to drop hurt or underperforming players. There is no reason in the world someone should be discouraged from dropping Kendry Morales and I don't see any good reason for rewarding a bottom dwelling team for picking up Morales if he was a $30 bid by wiping out his salary when he is dropped.

So for my league:

Desmond Jennings drafted at $1
Eric Hosmer undrafted
Kendry Morales drafted at $30
Buster Posey kept on a 3 year deal at $10/$15/$20
Jason Heyward drafted at $20

Jennings dropped - Low $ means a better keeper prospect and is an incentive for teams to roster him.
Hosmer - No particular incentives either way - just beating your competition to him. He will be treated as if he was drafted for $8.
Morales - If he is out for the year and not a critical keeper for you at $30, then drop him. If you want to keep him for $30 next year, pick him up.
Posey - If he is out for the year, then weigh the cost/benefit of future years on the deal and drop if you need the space. Others can pick him up and assume his contract.
Heyward - Feel free to drop him if you want but there isn't any reason not to roster him if you have the room and think he will rebound.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 18)

Postby bigmck » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:31 pm

I run an Auction Keeper League that is in its 16 year. A player that is won on Auction Day gets that salary for this year and next. The third year is increased by $5 and the fourth and all years there after are increased by $10. We have a Salary on Auction Day of $260 and in season is $290. When a player is dropped, his salary goes to zero. When picking up players during the season they are bid on through the FAAB (we use CBS). We do not allow DL or Minor Leaguers to be picked up. They must be on the 25 man roster. When a player is put on the active roster, it does not get by too many of the owners. I don't really have any of the problems that you have stated. Bidding on players is the way to go instead of assigning salaries. I realize that ESPN does not support salaries like CBS. For the small about you would pay ($15 each) you might consider switching.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby mkultra » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:51 am

bigmck wrote:I realize that ESPN does not support salaries like CBS. For the small about you would pay ($15 each) you might consider switching.

Can you clarify this point? We're currently using CBS and we universally hate hate hate it after moving away from ESPN last year. As far as I remember, ESPN had the same support for salary that CBS does- how is it different?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmck » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:22 pm

mkultra wrote:
bigmck wrote:I realize that ESPN does not support salaries like CBS. For the small about you would pay ($15 each) you might consider switching.

Can you clarify this point? We're currently using CBS and we universally hate hate hate it after moving away from ESPN last year. As far as I remember, ESPN had the same support for salary that CBS does- how is it different?

I played in ESPN this year in addition to CBS. I didn't like CBS' modifications early in the year, but have learned how they work and think they are an improvement from last year. == Now to your question. With CBS, we have an Auction with salaries and contract years. CBS has columns for salary and contract years which I enter after the auction. It has an option to put in a Salary Cap inseason limit. == With ESPN you can have an Auction, but there are no columns for salaries or contract years. If you use an FAAB, you can bid on players, but there is no place to keep the salary of the player won. It is true that you can do all of this on paper with ESPN, but for the small amount of about $13 a person, it can be done with the CBS system itself. I don't think there is much comparison. CBS has many advantages that ESPN does not.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby mkultra » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Huh, thinking back, that does make sense- I remember it preserved auction salaries for determining keepers, but yeah, I don't recall being able to enforce an in-season cap. Good to know! ;-D
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner